PDA

View Full Version : I'm Donny, And I'm a wood addict......

Donny Lawson
01-27-2012, 5:09 PM
I keep saying no to wood but it keeps following me home. Here is a load of Ambrosia maple and it's nice. I have more at work waiting on me next week. Here is one roughed out bowl from it anyway.

Jeff Nicol
01-27-2012, 5:26 PM
Donny, Once one is found out to be a turner, the wood elves seem to show up everywhere! I have the same issue, but never any ambrosia maple like that, it is just not very prevalent here in WI. But I get as much spalted maple as I can handle and a ton of oak, box elder, and enough cherry and black walnut to keep me going. But since my back has been giving me fits I do not go out and search it out, but then again it is winter and not as much fun as getting it in the summer.

Have fun with the hoard!

Jeff

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-27-2012, 5:29 PM
Hi Donny, my name's 'Bvt, I'm a wood-aholic too! Lovely roughed out bowl you have there - we don't get much / any Maple, let alone Ambrosia Maple in the U.K. - looks lovely! Wood follows me home too... (I'm not complaining, but the wife thinks we are a wood storage firm in disguise...)

Bill Wyko
01-27-2012, 5:35 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. Excellent score sir.

Dick Wilson
01-27-2012, 6:01 PM
I am not a wood addict! I am not a wood addict! I am not a wood addict! I am not a wood addict! I am not a wood addict! I am not a wood addict! I am trying to convince myself that I am not:(:(:(....and failing miserably.

Steve Vaughan
01-27-2012, 8:21 PM
Donny, I am so sorry you are having such a difficult time. That temptation to more wood is all around us and makes it so easy to fall. I understand, I've been there a few times myself. However, it looks to me like you are handling the issue quite well and that encourages all of us to take control of that piece of wood that shows up. :p

James Roberts
01-27-2012, 8:24 PM
Donny, the first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is to send me all of that nasty old wood. Problem solved.

Steve Busey
01-27-2012, 10:15 PM
The second step is to send me all of that nasty old wood. Problem solved.

THAT'S what I'm talking about! :p

Thomas Canfield
01-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm Tom and I am a wood scrounger. I have just moved and am building a shop to unload a POD of tools from my previous shop. I did move 3 pickup loads of wood in addition to a little in the POD and am having trouble driving by some local wood on the street here. Soon I will have my lathe back in operation and able to "pick up" some of the new local woods. I have not found the program yet for wood scrounging, but did join a local woodturning club to help me deal with the found wood.

Scott Hackler
01-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Wait until you can't throw away and decent cut offs larger than a pen blank. And I turn very few pens! :)

Baxter Smith
01-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Nice looking wood! You only have to turn the best!

Greg Just
01-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Nice looking wood! You only have to turn the best!

What Baxter says is so true. Don't waste your time trying to turn bad wood! Nice Haul - you can never have too much wood.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2012, 10:15 AM
That quite the haul! Beautiful wood and bowl!!

Don Alexander
01-28-2012, 12:12 PM
shoot , bet there aren't 2 people that frequent this forum that aren't addicted to that kinda wood :D:D

Brian Effinger
01-28-2012, 1:10 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing.
I think that's the best reply so far! :D :D :D

Nice haul Donny! :)