PDA

View Full Version : Sears Craftsman 10 inch band saw What Blades can I use

John alder
01-27-2012, 4:16 PM
I have an older sears model 113.244400 10 in. Band Saw that calls for 1/4 or 3/8 wide X 72 5/8 In. long blades.That 72 5/8 inch length seems to be an odd size when I look in catalogs I see 72 or 73 1/2 lengths and am wondering if any one has been able to use one a bit shorter or longer other than the sears brand? Also could I use a 1/2 inch wide blade in it the manual calls for either 1/4 or 3/8 wide.TIA for any advise.

Bruce Page
01-27-2012, 4:49 PM
John, Suffolk Machinery will make any length blade you want, and they are a good quality blade. You may or may not be able to use a shorter/longer blade, it depends on how much adjustment you have in the saw. Just a gut feeling but I would stick with the 3/8” blade.

Suffolk Machinery - Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blades (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=13&ved=0CI4BEBYwDA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.suffolkmachinery.com%2F&ei=8RgjT6fsH8K7twfsx73JBA&usg=AFQjCNECaNXibwrkzfznzMdDXU78anGYBw)

Jim Heffner
01-27-2012, 6:10 PM
John, I don't know if you have an industrial supplier in your area or not, but if you do, give them a call. These people can usually get you a better blade at a cheaper price than the
junk blades that sears sells. I buy mine from WT Tool here locally, they get Morse brand
blades any length, tooth count, width or anything else that I need within a couple(2) or (3) days for a very little cost( usually $20.00 or less if I remember correctly).

glenn bradley
01-27-2012, 6:32 PM
Just for comfort, my 10" Rockwell Delta specs 71-3/4" blades but I run 72" blades no problem. Run your wheel adjust (blade tension) thruough the range and check the wheel height at the lowest and highest. That will tell you the amount a variation you can tolerate.

Van Huskey
01-27-2012, 8:55 PM
I suggest either and industrial supplier local or mail order what welds to spec. They will likely be cheaper and probably better than what you buy pre welded. I have had good luck ordering from Spectrum Supply. A lot of people like Timberwold blades from Suffolk but I and a good many others have had weld issues, you can search and make up your mind.

Bill White
01-28-2012, 11:58 AM
I would use a 1/4" blade for general use. 3/8" tops. You will have tensioning probs with wider blades.
Just my opinion.
Bill

Alan Schwabacher
01-28-2012, 1:15 PM
Woodcraftbands.com has good prices and good welds to any size you want. Their 1/4" 6 TPI bimetal blade would probably be a good choice for most use of that saw. Bimetal blades last significantly longer than black carbon steel blades, and the prices are very competitive. I think the company is just one guy: while he's always responded quickly for me, apparently some have caught him at a bad time and had to wait for a response.