PDA

View Full Version : When can I buff out this plate?

Cheryl A. Prince
01-27-2012, 2:10 PM
I turned, carved and colored this 8" walnut plate for a friends birthday tomorrow. Sorry about the pictures. I'm really gonna have to set up the photo tent that's been in the basement since Christmas, but that's another seperate thread!! I started putting on a spray lacquer 3 days ago and have built up about 5 coats, the last one being applied at about 5:00 this morning (I have a cold and couldn't sleep:(!). I've not used a spray lacquer finish before so I'm not sure how I can buff this out so it has a nicer feel. I was hoping that it would be dry enough tomorrow to lightly buff using my Beall system (very light on the tripoli...) and then finish with some ren wax before we left for the party. Is the Beall buff going to be too aggressive for this short amount of drying time? I don't want to damage the finish. Should I rub it out by hand instead? If so what would you recommend...0000 steel wool, 600 grit paper, a white or grey scotch brite pad...? I'm kind of stuck. Thanks in advance for your insights!

Greg Bolton22
01-27-2012, 2:17 PM
I have buffed lacquer after 24 hours but used low speeds (700 rpm) and a light touch. Just watch closely so you can see if the finish starts to melt. It it does, stop immediately! You may want to start on the foot in case you have problems immediately.

Beautiful work BTW!

Good Luck

Greg

John Keeton
01-27-2012, 2:34 PM
Cheryl, I agree with Greg, but I like to first buff lacquer with 0000 steel wool or 600/1200 grit paper to level the spray pattern - "orange peel." The problem here is that five coats of spray lacquer is really not all that thick. It would be a shame to sand into your embellishments. You might consider a few more coats of lacquer.

Ken Glass
01-27-2012, 3:31 PM
Cheryl,
I haven't had any luck trying to buff Lacquer until at least a week in 65 degree temperature or above. I have tried to rush the curing before, many times, only to be disappointed and left with a mess. I buff all lacquers (pre-cat and rattle can) at 600-700 rpm max, and with a light touch as John suggested. Lacquer takes awhile to cure, but will give a great finish. Such a beautiful piece that took some time to turn and carve shouldn't have the finish rushed. Well done on the plate.

Bill Wyko
01-27-2012, 5:38 PM
I gave up on lacquers. I went to automotive catalized clear coat. I've had lacquer sit for over 2 weeks, sanded it out and buffed it. It still shrank into the grain after that. On the other hand, you can usually work with ti after 24 to 48 hours but it'll probably shrink well after that.

Allan Ferguson
01-27-2012, 7:36 PM
Can not help with the finish, but the plate is a gem with just enough embellishment that does not overload the beautiful wood.

Dennis Ford
01-27-2012, 9:33 PM
Cheryl;
You are pushing your luck if you buff out lacquer after only a day (unless the weather has been warm forget it). I would definitely take it as far as possible by hand with 0000 steel wool or 600 grit, this will remove the shine as well as the imperfections. If you really need the piece finished in a hurry, buff gently!

Bob Bergstrom
01-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I would use 4ought steel wool with Ren Wax. It will be too soft to buff with a machine.

Baxter Smith
01-27-2012, 11:38 PM
Very nice plate!

Cheryl A. Prince
01-31-2012, 5:54 AM
I wanted to thank you all for the thoughtful replies! After looking at the piece I decided to take pretty much everyones advice. I added two more coats of lacquer (thanks John for that suggestion) and after about 6 hours gently rubbed it out with 0000 steel wool and ren wax (thanks Bob and Dennis) and then hand buffed it with a clean rag. That combination worked like a charm and the gift was in the hands of it's new (smiling:D) owner about 3 hours later. Again, thanks for the helpful advice!

Larry Pickering
01-31-2012, 8:49 AM
Cheryl, an old body shop trick is the thumb nail test, if you can easily dent the piece with your thumb nail, it's too soft. I know, define "easily"

Russell Neyman
01-31-2012, 1:01 PM
1. low speed
2. moderate to light pressure
3. keep moving
4. wait at least 48 hours with lacquer.

Keller's suggestion about #0000 steel wool and/or fine wet-and-dry sandpaper is a good one, because it reduces the need for intense buffing with the more aggressive polishing compounds. I've done this, gone straight to white diamond (skipping the Tripoli) and gotten great results.

I love your platter.