PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot - not accepting HF coupons

Greg Labacz
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I went to HD today to buy a porter cable biscuit jointer and attempted to use my 20% hf coupon and they wouldn't accept it . I asked for a manager and she said they won't take them since HF only sells HF tools and not porter cable, delta etc. IT has to be apple for apple for them to accept the coupon. After much arguing they took my coupon, but, said they won't accept them anymore.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Dan Hintz
01-27-2012, 12:29 PM
Look online at their competitor coupon agreement... if it makes no such mention about the other store stocking identical brands/items, threaten to turn them in for false advertising. Most stores get away with refusing to match pricing if the lower-priced item comes from a non B&M-store (e.g., Amazon), but sometimes even then you can get certain stores to bend to your will with enough coaxing. But to deny it for the reason given doesn't hold water, IMO...

Mark Burnette
01-27-2012, 12:54 PM
My wife is always in possession of 1/3 off coupons from Kohl's. Should HD accept those as well?
:D

Matt Meiser
01-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Its always been at the local store's discretion. I've had good luck getting them to take it. Others 20 miles away have never gotten them to take one. Last time I looked the price match policy actually doesn't say anything about coupons but does say that it has to be an identical item from a local store. Of course they get around that very often by selling exclusive items. Sometimes just some obscure suffix difference--model 1234567b instead of 1234567a.

Dave Lehnert
01-27-2012, 1:22 PM
Look online at their competitor coupon agreement...

where did you see the coupon agreement. I can't find it. Maybe it has changed????????
This is what I found.

TRUST OUR 10% PRICE GUARANTEE

*If you find a current lower price on an identical, in-stock item from any local retailer, we will match the price and beat it by 10%. Excludes special orders, bid pricing, volume discounts, open-box merchandise, labor and installation, sales tax, rebate and free offers, typographical errors and online purchases.

I purchased a miter saw last Nov. and the manager on duty accepted the 20% off coupon. A friend last week purchased a saw and they would not accept but did give him 10% off. Same store.

I would have to side with the store on this. If I ran a store no way would I accept a 20% off discount coupon on an item Harbor Freight did not sell. It's nice if I ask and they do decide to accept, but nothing to get bent out of shape over. At the end of the day it's their store to run as they wish.
Harbor Freight has even started to put restrictions on their own 20% coupon. They would not accept it when I purchased a jack last week.

Dan Hintz
01-27-2012, 1:32 PM
Okay, with that verbiage I'd side with the store...

Peter Aeschliman
01-27-2012, 1:39 PM
Taking a step back here... explain why you'd expect them to take a harbor freight coupon for a dissimilar item?

Seems like an unreasonable expectation.

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2012, 1:43 PM
Don't think it was about an item, it was about matching coupons from other stores. The HF was 20% off the most expensive item in your purchase. Most coupons are tied to a particular item, so I wouldn't be surprised if they never had any intention of honoring unspecific coupons...

Neil Brooks
01-27-2012, 1:52 PM
I looked up the actual policy, on their site (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=SF_MS_In-Store_Low_Price_Guarantee&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053), too, and have to agree.

They may MAKE exceptions, from time to time, ... which is risky for them, but ... if they want to default to The Actual Policy, I think they're in the clear on this one.

Cary Falk
01-27-2012, 1:59 PM
When did they start taking them??? Did you pay full price (before the coupon) for the biscuit jointer, because they are closing them out for between $100-150? It is no longer on their website.

Larry Browning
01-27-2012, 2:29 PM
Wow! I would not expect to go to a BMW dealer that offered to match any other BMW dealers price and have them match the price I was quoted on a Yugo.

Chris Tsutsui
01-27-2012, 3:03 PM
I'm don't think anyone should feel disapointed if their HF coupon doesn't work at a Big Box Store.

When HD honors it they are humoring the customer and trying to make a bid deal about it so they don't do it again.

It's sort of like Nordstrom's return policy that is more or less about the honor system... You can return anything for cash back value as long as you have a receipt. I once returned a 2 year old pair of pants that I hardly wore and they gave me cash back for the full value.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-27-2012, 3:34 PM
Wow! I would not expect to go to a BMW dealer that offered to match any other BMW dealers price and have them match the price I was quoted on a Yugo.

Come on Larry! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Beemer definitely wants to sell vehicles - don't sell them short on "creative" financing.:D

I agree w/ Chris as well. There is a famous example about 25 years ago where Nordstrom accepted the return of 4, USED, snow tires in exchange for merchandise they actually did sell! When a retailer makes this choice, it's purely a gift - the recipient of which was the OP here from HD.

As our friend Derek from Aussie might say, "Good on ya, mate!"

Jim Matthews
01-27-2012, 4:09 PM
I've been to both local stores; it's like choosing which dumpster will provide dinner.

I'll gladly shop at any local alternative that's within 15% of the BORG or the Chinese container store.
Buying from either REDUCES your choice, in the longterm.

Myk Rian
01-27-2012, 4:24 PM
I wouldn't expect HD or Lowes to accept a HF coupon.
This week, the local HD wouldn't accept my Sons Vet card. ???
We'll go to Lowes from now on.

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2012, 4:27 PM
That's funny, Lowes informed my Son that they no longer gave Vets a discount except on Veteran's day. I didn't set foot in the place again for over a year.

I wouldn't expect HD or Lowes to accept a HF coupon.
This week, the local HD wouldn't accept my Sons Vet card. ???
We'll go to Lowes from now on.

Zach England
01-27-2012, 4:29 PM
I wonder if Lie-Nielsen will accept my Home Depot coupon. That would be sweet.

Peter Aeschliman
01-27-2012, 6:10 PM
Come on Larry! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Beemer definitely wants to sell vehicles - don't sell them short on "creative" financing.:D

I agree w/ Chris as well. There is a famous example about 25 years ago where Nordstrom accepted the return of 4, USED, snow tires in exchange for merchandise they actually did sell! When a retailer makes this choice, it's purely a gift - the recipient of which was the OP here from HD.

As our friend Derek from Aussie might say, "Good on ya, mate!"

I used to work at Nordstrom corporate. In that particular case, Nordstrom earned itself quite a nice little story for PR purposes. They love to use that one. The issue was that the guy bought the tires at a shop that used to be there but went out of business. Nordstrom bought the property and built their store. The guy showed up confused... he must've been a little low on the IQ scale to ask for a refund... but however it happened, he got his money. Nordstrom has paid that cost off many times over!

As for the morality of abusing a store's generosity, or even better, getting upset when the store doesn't allow you to abuse them... that's for each person to decide for him/herself.

Anthony Whitesell
01-27-2012, 6:13 PM
Taking a step back here... explain why you'd expect them to take a harbor freight coupon for a dissimilar item?

Seems like an unreasonable expectation.

The HF coupons do not specify a specific an item (excludes a bunch though). They are 20% off any one item. It is a "competitor coupon" program. It would depend on whether or not you (or more importantly, they) consider HF and HD competitors.

Joseph Tarantino
01-27-2012, 6:20 PM
when i bought a 4511 and the ASM on duty refused my HF coupon, i called HD corporate CS. they called the ASM and instructed him to honor it. that was 2 years ago, but i've also done it for ridgid generators. just find the friendly HDs and shop there.

Peter J Lee
01-27-2012, 7:13 PM
The HF coupons do not specify a specific an item (excludes a bunch though). They are 20% off any one item. It is a "competitor coupon" program. It would depend on whether or not you (or more importantly, they) consider HF and HD competitors.

But they have no program that would match that coupon.

Matt Meiser
01-27-2012, 8:05 PM
You guys are seriously not going to shop somewhere because they were generous and offered a discount for a long time then decided to stop doing so? Maybe I'm missing the back story?

Im sure this will teach them a good lesson--don't be so generous!

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2012, 8:56 PM

HF is full of Chinese "garbage". HD is full of Chinese "garbage". Doesn't sound like competition, sounds like a tie <g>.

Kurt Cady
01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
I have never had a problem. Always accepted. Above all registers at the 5 HD's within 15 miles is a sign: "We accept ALL competitor's coupons"

Get off the OP's back. Yeesh! I will gladly use a HF coupon on any tool or comparable item HD sells. I wouldn't try to use it on lumber. Unless the OP was trying to use it on lumber (which HF) doesn't sell, the people of the 'highest morals' need to chill out, and the analogies put forth are as baseless, illogical, and absurd as the point you're trying to make.

Greg Peterson
01-27-2012, 11:20 PM
I won't often come to the defense of the big boxes. But in this case I think the expectation of the consumer exceeds the spirit of the policy. I take their policy to be applicable when a competitor is selling the same item (brand/model) for less.

I find the customers actions in this matter unreasonable. Kudos to the person who decided to defuse the situation.

Van Huskey
01-27-2012, 11:34 PM
You guys are seriously not going to shop somewhere because they were generous and offered a discount for a long time then decided to stop doing so? Maybe I'm missing the back story?

Agreed. I once worked in a firm where the firm provided soft drinks and breakfast foods for everyone. Times got a little tight and they cut that out, I had to listen to staff complain about it for months.

dennis thompson
01-28-2012, 7:42 AM
When I bought my table saw at Home Depot I brought a HF 20% coupon with me. They said they would not honor it. I asked for the manager, he said it had to be an identical item but he did offer me a 10% discount (the saw was $500 ) so I saved $50 just by asking. If they won't honor the coupon I think it will be pretty easy to at least get the 10% discount by asking for the manager.
Dennis

HANK METZ
01-28-2012, 8:03 AM
That's funny, Lowes informed my Son that they no longer gave Vets a discount except on Veteran's day. I didn't set foot in the place again for over a year.

They both (lowe's and H.D.) have the same policy regarding vets:
“All active, reserve, retired and disabled veterans and their immediate family members with a valid, government-issued military photo ID card are eligible for the discount year-round.

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

Used to be they would take a dd214, etc 24/7, but changed it to limit non- retirees, non- active duty, or those who do get VA care but are not service- connected. I go with the program and save my big purchases for those 3 holidays. I got the Rigid oscillating belt/ drum sander with $20 off last year along with a bunch of other stuff, so it's worth it to me to play the game.

Read more: http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2010/07/14/lowes-official-answer-on-military-discounts/#ixzz1kkzsofZH
The Paycheck Chronicles

- Beachside Hank

Jerome Hanby
01-28-2012, 8:08 AM
That maybe their policy now, several years ago is wasn't, at least not at our local Lowe's. It's possible that they got a lot of blow back over that and changed.

They both (lowe's and H.D.) have the same policy regarding vets:
“All active, reserve, retired and disabled veterans and their immediate family members with a valid, government-issued military photo ID card are eligible for the discount year-round.

We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.

Used to be they would take a dd214, etc 24/7, but changed it to limit non- retirees, non- active duty, or those who do get VA care but are not service- connected. I go with the program and save my big purchases for those 3 holidays. I got the Rigid oscillating belt/ drum sander with $20 off last year along with a bunch of other stuff, so it's worth it to me to play the game.

Read more: http://paycheck-chronicles.military.com/2010/07/14/lowes-official-answer-on-military-discounts/#ixzz1kkzsofZH
The Paycheck Chronicles

- Beachside Hank

Jim Matthews
01-28-2012, 9:52 AM
Think of the Big Box stores like Bank of America - do you really want to give them more money, with which they will further limit your choices?

It's long past time for us consumers to put the brakes on this - buy local, if you can.

Jerome Hanby
01-28-2012, 10:32 AM
I live in Birmingham, HD and Coca Cola are both local <g>

Matt Meiser
01-28-2012, 10:50 AM
There's a big problem with the quaint notion of buying local. Many local stores don't have working consumer-friendly hours. My local auto parts store closes by 7 or earlier. That leaves precious little time by the time my wife gets home to eat and determine what I need before heading out. The small-box auto parts stores stay open until at least 9. The local lumber yards close at 5 on weekdays and noon on Saturday. The one that's now out of business didn't even have the Saturday hours. The story is similar for the local jewelers and on and on.

A big reason the big box home improvement stores have thrived is because they don't make the average Joe feel stupid when he comes in to buy stuff for a project and doesn't know what he needs. That's not to say he always gets good advise but he doesn't get the condescending response typical of old-time lumber yards who had to be bothered by consumers who interrupted their busy days of helping contractors. Then the rug got pulled out from under them when the housing market collapsed and they didn't know what to do.

We do have a great local hardware that I love to shop at and they stay open until 8 on weeknights and have good Saturday and Sunday hours and I always choose them over big box when I'm looking in a category they cover. I'm pretty sure they don't accept Harbor Freight coupons or give veteran discounts though.

Neil Brooks
01-28-2012, 10:54 AM
There's a big problem with the quaint notion of buying local.

Just one ? ;)

Locally, for me, they sell all the same stuff, manufactured in all the same places, but at higher prices. I'm pretty torn about this sort of thing. If I'm doing nothing but providing the Ace Hardware franchisee with a REALLY nice house ... hmmmmm :)

Ellen Benkin
01-28-2012, 11:25 AM
I always thought the price guarantee was based on the same item, not just a "store" discount. Should I take my Rockler "20% off any item" coupon to HD and expect them to honor it because they both sell power tools? I think not and, if they did, they'd be out of business. If HF had the same item for a lower price, then HD should beat that price but I don't expect them to accept a general store discount offer.

Matt Meiser
01-28-2012, 11:54 AM
Neil, that's a good point. I don't know that my local hardware store owners are rolling in the dough but I did suggest they start carrying Spax screws (which are made about 1 hour away or in Germany) and nothing ever came of it. So instead I buy Spax at Menards or Home Depot, or order unknown origin, but known quality screws from McFeely's. Their loss.

Peter J Lee
01-28-2012, 1:54 PM
Unless the OP was trying to use it on lumber (which HF) doesn't sell, the people of the 'highest morals' need to chill out, and the analogies put forth are as baseless, illogical, and absurd as the point you're trying to make.

The logic isn't hard to understand. Claiming you live in a 15 mile radius of stores with a sign that claims they'll take 20 percent off of anything except for lumber is far fetched.

Glenn Vaughn
01-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Think of the Big Box stores like Bank of America - do you really want to give them more money, with which they will further limit your choices?

I don't understand how a Big Box limits your choices. They offer choices but do not offer every brand and model. There is no store B&M ot online that can offer everything. If a store does not carry what you want, your choice is to go somewhere else.

As for choices, you should come to my town and try to buy pickles that are not Vlasic. There are tons of grocery items that are not carried here. Every business has a line of merchandise that is chosen to maximize turnover and profit.

As for Home Depot: I seriously doubt any other retailer would have stepped up to the plate the way they did last year over the WorkSharp error.

Kevin W Johnson
01-29-2012, 4:44 AM
Just one ? ;)

Locally, for me, they sell all the same stuff, manufactured in all the same places, but at higher prices. I'm pretty torn about this sort of thing. If I'm doing nothing but providing the Ace Hardware franchisee with a REALLY nice house ... hmmmmm :)

Maybe, maybe not. Lower volume typically means higher prices. It costs a ton of money to have inventory, and in certain retail segments it costs money to have and keep employees with a high degree of knowledge that is then used to help the customer. Sales then have to be divided between restock, expenses, taxes, wages, more taxes, etc. One off stores also don't have the income of multiple stores to float the bad months of low sales either.

Dave Wagner
01-29-2012, 8:40 AM
A friend took a competitors coupon in and HD state they will match and 10% off, NOT. They matched but didn't honor the 10%. Also, when we first got the HD a few years back, they off discounts to all the contractors, (which most business around do anyway), they got all the contractors business. THen, a few Ma and Pa lumber places went out of business, then after a year or two, they decided NOT to give the contrators any discounts, since now they have their business anyway and put the other ones out of business.....go figure. I only buy from them when I have to. I would rather support the local ma and pa stores and the local Amish. :(

Hilel Salomon
01-29-2012, 9:18 AM
First of all HF does have Dewalt and other brands in their stores. Not at exceptional prices, but they do carry name brands. Secondly, the HD ad does not exclude discount coupons. Managers, obviously, have some degree of discretion and such price matching offers differ. In VA, some of the Staples stores will even match legitimate internet prices, but some won't. It never hurts to ask. I always try to buy local, and ignore slight price differences. In general, I would rather buy from a privately owned store than from Lowe's, HD and other chains. In Columbia, I'm fortunate in that there are stores, such as Mann Tool and Catoes (yard and farm tools) which do their best to provide me with reasonable prices as well as support and repairs. In VA, I often pay more at Wintergreen Hardware, knowing that they are good folks and invaluable when a quick purchase is necessary. I can't count the number of times those stores provided me with quick fixes for free or at reasonable prices. Try getting that at a chain.

Ronald Blue
01-29-2012, 10:12 AM
I am amazed that they recognize HF at all if you take a coupon in. I wouldn't if I were in that position. I bet even it has some restrictions in the fine print. You can say they both offer imported junk if you would like but i will take my chances with Home Depot any day over HF. With that said they offer a choice for the consumer. Most of the Mom and Pop places are gone because their owners retired and the kids didn't want to continue or the business just wasn't there anymore. Did the HD's of the world cause that? Probably in someways, but ultimately it was the consumer. That's you and me folks. Our habits and buying methods have evolved tremendously over the last 20 years as the internet and big box stores have grown. We use them so we are all to blame. Happy shopping folks.

Neil Brooks
01-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Maybe, maybe not. Lower volume typically means higher prices. It costs a ton of money to have inventory, and in certain retail segments it costs money to have and keep employees with a high degree of knowledge that is then used to help the customer. Sales then have to be divided between restock, expenses, taxes, wages, more taxes, etc. One off stores also don't have the income of multiple stores to float the bad months of low sales either.

LOL ! Fair, and .. you got me.

In my past life, I was a VP of a couple of NYSE traded retail chains, so ... that's not news to me.

Before that, commercial real estate -- where my livelihood depended, in large part, on entrepreneurs willing to takes risks.

But ... from a customer standpoint, if they are NOT differentiating themselves from their Colossus competitors BY being better equipped on small quantities, specialty items, old-world customer service, or ... something, then -- to my original point -- you're buying the same thing for more $$.

I tend to use one of the three local Ace Hardware stores for the vast majority of my purchases, but I'm very conscientious about how much of a premium I'm paying to do so, and ... always evaluating if I'm truly accomplishing the goal I set out to accomplish ;)

Neil Brooks
01-29-2012, 10:40 AM
I am amazed that they recognize HF at all if you take a coupon in. I wouldn't if I were in that position.

So ... from a former chain store VP's perspective ....

It's math. Smart execs are taking some educated guesses, and modeling them in a spreadsheet.

It's marketing. They're going to TRY this for a while, and figure out just how many HF shoppers they can convince to spend more of their time and $$ at HD, instead of HF.

Marketing -- particularly the acquisition of NEW customers -- is hard and expensive. If they honor the competitor's coupon, and get more of your full-price business, as a result, then -- with luck -- it's cheaper than many other marketing channels to get your business.

You can bet that people at corporate are carefully monitoring (or should be) the ongoing costs of programs like this, and -- while they really SHOULDN'T be -- either directing, actively or passively (by NOT chastising the guilty managers) stores to be more liberal or more strict in the implementation of such policies.

This is sort of like that grocery chain scan card you may or may not carry. What goes on, behind the scenes, with that data ... would boggle the mind.

Joseph Tarantino
01-29-2012, 12:21 PM
....A big reason the big box home improvement stores have thrived is because they don't make the average Joe feel stupid when he comes in to buy stuff for a project and doesn't know what he needs. That's not to say he always gets good advise but he doesn't get the condescending response typical of old-time lumber yards who had to be bothered by consumers who interrupted their busy days of helping contractors. Then the rug got pulled out from under them when the housing market collapsed and they didn't know what to do.....

here, here! that is one area HD distinguished iteslf, IMHO. I used to just wander the aisles looking at the displays and learning what they were presenting. great introductions to what the tradespeople knew but kinda kept to themselves. the first time i walked into a good, old fashioned, local lumber yard after buying my first house, the staff there obviously delighted in making me feel like the village idiot. they had their own arcane jargon that was alien to the average consumer. i've never begrudged HD their market share. they had a plan, they executed it well and reaped the rewards. any of the good, old fashioned, local lumber yards/hardware stores could have cinched up their panties and taken the risks the HD founders did, but they didn't.

Hilel Salomon
01-29-2012, 2:20 PM
Some of the responses demonstrate how much variance there is in the big box stores. I buy a lot at Lowe's and HD. Have to, but......... half the time, the employees are impossible to find, know very little about some areas and aren't very helpful. The folks at the locally owned hardware and tool stores know a great deal about tools and hardware, are exceptionally nice and helpful and are a pleasure. I don't have much call to go to lumber yards, so I can't speak to those places. I buy my lumber directly from a mill, and the majority of the wood I use for turning comes from my own land or is a trade with a fellow turner. The store that has led to enormous pressure on the Momma/Poppa stores is Walmart, HD and Lowe's don't go into the small towns, but Walmart will..... for a while. By the time they close their store, the downtowns are dead zones, not likely to be revived. I never tell people where to shop. That's their decision. When asked, however, I will advise them against buying tools that might need adjustments or repairs in a store that doesn't provide this.

Stephen Cherry
01-29-2012, 4:51 PM
I don't know why anybody would worry about getting a coupon when there are a bazilloin used biscuit jointers out there on craigslist. (well maybe not quiet that many). I bought one that was used maybe twice for about half price. Plus, I got a bazillion biscuits with it.

Paul Johnstone
01-31-2012, 1:14 PM

Yes, these kind of tactics are what's killing many stores generous coupon and price matching policies.
Amazon used to have a 30 day price guarantee until too many people abused it by demanding refunds of less than a dollar on items they purchased way beyond the 30 day limit.

Honestly, I don't think the stores care if they lose customers that will only shop if their 10% vet discount and 20% HF coupon is honored on a clearance item.