PDA

View Full Version : Vets - Dimensions for Flag Case?

Russ Filtz
03-17-2005, 1:29 PM
I have a generic plan for a flag case which I want to make for my Dad's flag (WWII vet). I don't have access to the flag and I want it to be a surprise for my Mom. Are these flags used for funerals a standard size, or do I really need to get it measured?

Alan Mikkelsen
03-17-2005, 1:43 PM
Sorry I don't have a picture to share with you. My father-in-law, a WWII veteran who fought in North Africa and the length of Italy, died in 2000. I made a display case for the flag on his casket. It seems to me like the inside dimension of the case was about 22-23" on the bottom. I put it on a stand which was about 1/1/2-2" longer than the case. One thing you might want to consider, when I finished the case, I had a brass plate engraved which said "Vern Bradshaw, 1921-2000, He Served His Country"

Mark Patoka
03-17-2005, 2:54 PM
Russ,

What Alan said is correct. The inside dimension would be about 23" at the base. I made one recently and in checking online at ones commercially available, the outside dimensions are: base 25-1/4", sides 17-3/4", depth 3 to 3-1/2" inches. I made mine that size and the person I made it for said the flag fit perfectly. For presentation you sometimes have to manually adjust the showing face or fold of the flag so it looks good in the case (i.e. stars centered, etc).

The burial or casket flags are standard sized at 5' x 9.5'