PDA

View Full Version : No pix - didn't happen

Brian Kent
01-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I made a dovetail-shaped object yesterday. I was showing some friends what Frank Klausz measures and what he does freehand on dovetails. Only I am pretty sure he has had more practice:(.

I have not made dovetails for two years, and only once in the last four years.
I was using the Lee Valley carcass saws. I used to use a Dozuki. so this was my first western saw dovetail.
The thickest dovetail I ever tried was in 3/8" stock. This was 1", 5/4 stock. I found out that extra thickness just multiplies angle errors for the un-practiced.

I think those are all of my excuses.

These are some really nice guys. We had done a good job of making mallets and starting a Krenov plane. They saw my dove-tail shaped object and said "I wouldn't let anybody see that one. I would mark both with the words 'little Billy's first dovetail', then break it apart, knock off the tails and pins, and then throw the parts in separate trash cans.

So why am I writing about this to the woodworking multitude?

Because I didn't take a picture. Therefore it must not have happened. :)

I wish!

Doug Herzberg
01-27-2012, 11:54 AM
This isn't very encouraging, Brian. I've been working on my version of a Klausz bench for a couple years now. By working, I mean thinking about it, buying materials, and lately, laying out the pieces so I can start thinking about cutting the dovetail shaped joints on the aprons. The only dovetails I've ever done were with a router and a jig. (I know, blasphemy on this forum). Somehow, I thought the really big ones were going to be easier.

In the Workbench Book, Kalusz is interview and shown making the initial cuts on a bandsaw. That is my plan, although I'm sure I'm going to have to find a handsaw of some kind and figure out which end of the chisel you hit with the mallet (aka 16 oz hammer).

If I screw it up, but don't photograph it, it should be okay, right? I like the idea about blaming the kid. I have a 14 year old granddaughter who may just show an interest in woodworking soon. Maybe some white glue and sawdust?

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2012, 1:32 PM
Since this is in the neanderthal forum, the pix part seems out of kilter. Seems like it should be no sketch or no etching and it didn't happen <g>

Brian Kent
01-27-2012, 3:03 PM
Jerome, I'll sketch it in your imagination. The wide side of the pins vary from 3/16" to 3/8" and no gaps are large than 1/8" - but some are close.

Doug, when I made my Klausz style bench (except for the tail vise, which was too complicated for a newbie), I made the big dovetail joint with a ryoba saw. I was exceedingly careful and it turned out just fine. And it was fun.

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2012, 3:16 PM
If that were my personal experience, I'd consider that fine woodworking <g>

Jerome, I'll sketch it in your imagination. The wide side of the pins vary from 3/16" to 3/8" and no gaps are large than 1/8" - but some are close.

Doug, when I made my Klausz style bench (except for the tail vise, which was too complicated for a newbie), I made the big dovetail joint with a ryoba saw. I was exceedingly careful and it turned out just fine. And it was fun.

Jim Matthews
01-27-2012, 4:16 PM
Gary Rogowski has a warmup session (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=793rDKO1sIw), before he cuts "the good stuff".

Brian Kent
01-27-2012, 4:54 PM
Looks like it should be my daily exercise for awhile.

James Owen
01-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Neanderthal Forum: no copperplate engraving, it didn't happen..... :D

Karl Wicklund
01-28-2012, 8:58 AM
Dont feel too bad! My first (and so far only) dovetails might have been rougher if I'd removed waste with a shotgun. I do plan to post pix when I get to it, just to keep myself humble.

Carl Beckett
01-28-2012, 9:18 AM
I wonder if I can get my wife to adopt this: no pix = didnt happen philosophy.........

Jim Matthews
01-28-2012, 9:55 AM
My first (and so far only) dovetails might have been rougher if I'd removed waste with a shotgun.

That's a technique I would like to see on YouTube.

Brian Kent
01-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Hilarious Carl!

I wonder if I can get my wife to adopt this: no pix = didnt happen philosophy.........

Brian Kent
01-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I bet the Crazy Canadian Woodworker on YouTube would try it.

Start Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEHJsA9Ecug

My first (and so far only) dovetails might have been rougher if I'd removed waste with a shotgun. / [/I]Jim Matthews; That's a technique I would like to see on YouTube.