PDA

View Full Version : New Powermatic Parallelogram Jointer vs dj20

Jeff Sudmeier
03-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Everyone,

During my search for a big Jointer I have come across the new Powermatic Parallelogram jointer (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/hi/B0007DHHEM/qid=1111081406/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/002-4167800-9381618). It seems to be a great machine! The tables are 10 inches longer than the DJ20 and 2 inches wider. It also has a 1/2HP bigger motor and weighs more.

What do ya'll think?

Jason Tuinstra
03-17-2005, 1:02 PM
What do ya'll think?

Jeff, it looks like a good deal to me. You'd expect the Powermatic to be more expensive than the DJ-20, but it's right there in the ball-park. You are officially given permission to buy one and let us know how it works. :D

Tyler Howell
03-17-2005, 1:09 PM
Hey Jeff,

I've been shopping too and I think this is the direction I will go. Nothing like the "Gold Standard". I wanted to put hands-on an Oliver but there are no dealers in my area.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-17-2005, 1:28 PM
I am still checking over my options, but today Amazon has free shipping on this model. So if I want it, I should get it today. Decisions, decisions! :)

Jim Becker
03-17-2005, 1:34 PM
Looks like a nice machine, but I don't understand your '2" wider' comment...they are both 8" jointers. At any rate, I really like the parallelogram design as it keeps the end of the infeed table exactly the same distance from the knives, no matter what the depth of cut setting.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-17-2005, 1:39 PM
I read on another forum (GASP!! I know) that they were 10 inch tables with an 8 inch cutter. Anyway, that information was wrong, they are 8x82 inch tables.

Does anyone know with Amazon, whether the little note that says "Special Shipping Information: This item normally requires a shipping charge, but is eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping today" will really end today or is it a gimic and will be there all week?

Dan Racette
03-17-2005, 4:53 PM
Free shipping has not applied to FOB (freight on board) items on amazon. That has always been the exception when I have tried to use it. Plus, their new pay once always get the best shipping deal, FOB is an exception to that too.

Bruce Gray
03-17-2005, 6:29 PM
The last heavy tool that I ordered from Amazon (about a month ago), they offered not only free shipping, but also free lift-gate service. They didn't publicize that, but all I had to do was ask.

Tyler Howell
03-17-2005, 6:47 PM
We're pretty lucky Jeff, most of the heavy stuff from Amazon/Tool Crib Comes out of No. Dak. and is distributed through a trucking firm in the Twin Cities. My PM66 was in town the next day and in my garage the day after that.
Went looking for this new PM Jointer today at my local industrial wholesaler. He advised it wouldn't be available till Mid-late April and not in his shop for 2 more weeks.
I think I'll give my old friend Marge at Tool Crib a call tomorrow and see what her story is.

James Boster
03-17-2005, 6:51 PM
Jeff,. I seen this jointer at the Carolinas show last mont. First let me say that I am a Delta "nut". I have the DJ15 6" and have been wanting to upgrade to a DJ20. But after seeing the powermatic that you are talking about at the show I would probably go with it. Very nice looking. It weighs almost double "I think" what the delta does and cheaper. The castings on the one at the show were smooth and clean. I liked the crank adjustment of the fence. All in all I would like to have it if I had more ROOM!. I guess thats always the problem. If you do purchase please keep us informend on how well you like.

Rob Russell
03-17-2005, 8:45 PM
That new Powermatic is also going to be a Chiwan import, not an "American-made" product.

Dan Forman
03-17-2005, 9:40 PM
Is it even possible to get a new American made jointer these days? The General is now the only North American jointer in production at this time that I am aware of.

Dan

Rudy Fuselier
03-17-2005, 9:58 PM
People on this forum have indicated that the Tool Mart in California is selling the Oasis jointer which is made in the same factory in China as the DJ-20. It sells for 699 instead of 1349 for the DJ-20. I have checked it out and it is the same machine exactly. Is anyone aware of a like machine to the Powermatic that sells for significantly less money?

James Boster
03-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Dan, yeah it's possible. Check out northfield machinery. But a word of caution, make sure your setting down before pricing. I'm sure the quality is great but not in my budget. That's why I go for the "old iron" at auctions and sales. I just picked up a powermatic 225 planer for less than my 20" import cost. All it needs is cleaned and adjusted, and of course a bigger phase converter.;)

Dan Forman
03-18-2005, 3:56 AM
Yikes!!! Considering I was born in Northfield, do you think they would knock off about 8 grand on that 8 incher?

The problem with my area is that there is precious little of any quality that ever shows up used, at least in the paper. Have to go to Seattle or Portland for that.

Dan

Jeff Sudmeier
03-18-2005, 8:49 AM
Thanks for all of the info guys! I am checking into one last source for an older style DJ20, if he can get it for me, I will probably get the DJ20. If I am going to be spending $1500 I will be getting the powermatic.

Jim Andrew
03-19-2005, 12:03 AM
Tyler, you might check with Sunhill, their freight wasn't that bad. The
10" Oliver weighs 900 pounds, and the freight was 290 to Kansas. They
haven't taken a huge increase for this year either, I think I got the last
refurbished machine for 1695, plus the 290 shipping. The number is 1 800
929 4321. I bought mine from Ricardo. Nice guy. No I don't get a kickback.
Jim

Rich Konopka
03-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Jeff,

I picked up an "older RWB" style DJ20 a year ago for $1,099. If you can find one than by all means jump on it. I can't see how Delta can justify such a large price increase for something that is now made entirely overseas. I really like my DJ20 and I'm glad I picked it up.

How is the warranty on the Powermatic in comparison to the X5 DJ20? The DJ20 has been around for ages and everyone who ever used one or owns one will tell you can't go wrong with it.

My guess is that Delta knew they have a great design and it has been very reliable. They stuck on the 5 year warranty to not only jack the up price (~20%), but also cover the rollout of "Newer Chineese" version to ease consumer gripes over build quality. They have to be making a killing on these through the cheaper labor regardless of the increase in raw materials costs. Which leads me to believe why the Powermatic is so close in price where they have been traditionally higher.

Frank Pellow
03-19-2005, 12:45 PM
That new Powermatic is also going to be a Chiwan import, not an "American-made" product.My DJ20 (purchased in January) is a Chiwan import.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-19-2005, 5:45 PM
Thanks for all of the info guys! Just when I decide, I get more info! Anyways, I will be making an order soon for somthing, when it comes in there will be a gloat :)