PDA

View Full Version : LN Joinery Floats

Prashun Patel
01-27-2012, 8:56 AM
Has anyone used these? I'm a big fan of rasps for shaping. These seem like they'd be really great for tweaking joints.

Mike Holbrook
01-27-2012, 9:24 AM
I was thinking about buying a few but I ended up getting Iwasaki file/floats instead. The Iwasakis are available in a wide range of shapes & sizes and I think they are a more versatile tool at a great price. They make tiny little shavings like the LN floats. Highland Woodworking carries a large variety of them and Lee Valley carries a few too.

Prashun Patel
01-27-2012, 9:43 AM
Thanks, Mike. I like the offset handle of the LN's.

I was just thinking of PM'ing Derek Cohen to see if he ever reviewed floats. Of COURSE he did.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?63782-The-Lie-Nielsen-Face-Joinery-Float-Reviewed

lowell holmes
01-27-2012, 10:24 AM
I have one of their joinery floats. I use it and would not be without it.

I also use a router plane to adjust oversize tenons.

Joel Goodman
01-27-2012, 11:13 AM
I have one of their joinery floats. I use it and would not be without it.

I also use a router plane to adjust oversize tenons.

Which model -- do you have the push or the pull? They come either way, sort of like western saw vs japanese saw. Any thoughts on which is preferred would be appreciated.

lowell holmes
01-27-2012, 12:05 PM
I have the push float.

I haven't used it yet, but I recently have the saw handle rasp from Tools for Working Wood. It is 20 tpi hand stitched. I did run it across a board.

I think I might have to spring for a 20 tpi grit hand stitched flat rasp.

I did it, I ordered the 9" Ariou cabinet makers rasp. I will let you know how it turns out.