PDA

View Full Version : DNA to finished bowl

Donny Lawson
01-27-2012, 6:49 AM
For those who use DNA to help the drying process, how long after you take it from the DNA do you re-turn and finish? I've noticed that some people do the process alot faster than I do. Is there something I'm not getting? I usually wait about 6-8 weeks before re-turning. Seems like I've seen it go from log to DNA to bowl in about two weeks or so. Looks like it would warp,twist or maybe even split. What is your process, start to finish??

Fred Belknap
01-27-2012, 8:18 AM
Donny I use the DNA method and I find that some wood it works a lot better than others. I have quite a bit of walnut and for smaller thinner rough outs I can get by with about three weeks. I have been turning some hickory and maple and it takes a little longer. I don't think there is any one answer, different wood, different process of drying , different time in the DNA bath. My shop is heated 24-7 and I coat the outside of a blank with Anchorseal and fill the inside with shavings for the first couple of week. I put them on the floor behind the TS and when they get around 15 to 20 percent moisture I put them up higher on a shelf. I don't turn until they are in the 10 to 15 range. I find that hollow forms shrink and warp less that an open bowl or platter. I keep a check on them for cracks and use CA on some that develop small cracks. I have pretty good success with small hollow forms turning to final thickness when green. Usually anything over 4" I turn twice. I know this isn't a very good answer but I think your 6 to 8 weeks should work fine. Sometimes I get impatient.:o

Steve Campbell
01-27-2012, 8:38 AM
Donny after I take my bowls out of the DNA I leave it for a couple hours to flash dry and then wrap it up in two layers of newspaper. I keep mine on my dinning room floor. It varies some on the time. I bought a cheap "gram" scale from HF. After a couple weeks I start to weigh them. I keep a notebook and when they stop loosing weight they are ready to return.
Hope this helps some

Steve

J.D.Redwine
01-27-2012, 8:49 AM
I turn to finished size soak in the DNA for a day or so then wrap in Kraft paper for about three weeks, sand and finish.

Tony De Masi
01-27-2012, 8:51 AM
Donny, I soak in DNA for at least 24 hours and more depending on wood species. Take them out of the soup, let them air dry, them wrap with paper grocery sack. On a bowl, I will cut out the opening and turn upside down on stickers and let dry for a minimum of two weeks. I don't use moisture meters or digital scales. I would say that I have re turned my items right within the range of 2-3 weeks post DNA with no issues.

Scott Hackler
01-27-2012, 10:37 AM
24 hours for all woods except fruit wood (they get 3 days min) for the soak, air dry for 15-30 minutes, double or triple wrapped with newspaper, hole poked in the open portion of the vessel (if its a bowl or HF), date the piece on the tape, sit on shelf in shop (hole down) for minimum of 3 weeks, then start checking the "smell" through the hole every week or so. When it no longer has the alcohol smell, I unwrap it and leave it out on the shelf until I can finish it. At this point its as dry as its gonna get and very stable to return now or when ever I want to do the rest of the work.

I have never purchased a scale, so the smell test is what I do and that works very well for me. Most woods are dry and ready to go in 3-4 weeks. Some, like black walnut, seem to dry slower and it might take 8 weeks for the smell to disappear.

Donny Lawson
01-27-2012, 4:53 PM
Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I do. I guess I'm impatient.

Rich Aldrich
01-28-2012, 6:57 PM
Donny, I soak bowls for 48 hours (sometimes a week if I forget and dont get out to the shop during the week). I normally just bag them and turn them in about 4 weeks.

Michael Menzli
01-29-2012, 9:05 PM
So random question. Does the DNA assist with warping issues?