PDA

View Full Version : Small Birch NE bowl

Steve Campbell
01-26-2012, 10:21 PM
221430221429Here is my latest. Small birch NE bowl. It's about 10 inches long. Finished with a couple coats of AO. Not buffed yet.
Fire away guys. I can take it.

Steve

Thomas Heck
01-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Looks nice to me.

Baxter Smith
01-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Cool! Can't quite tell. Does the pith go through it?

Don Alexander
01-26-2012, 10:31 PM
nerves of steel and a steady hand too apparently cool looking piece

John Keeton
01-27-2012, 7:03 AM
Nice work, Steve! The angle/view of the pics is not the best, as it is difficult to see the amount of concavity of the bowl. Looks rather flat in the first pic, but from the bottom it appears to have a bit more "bowl" to it. A side profile would be better.

Steve Campbell
01-27-2012, 7:58 AM
Thanks guys. Yes Baxter the pith goes right up through the middle of this one. John it is a pretty shallow bowl. I could probably gone with a little shorter foot and gotten a little deeper "bowl" out of it. This was a first for me and I did it green. There sure was a bunch of hand scrapping and sanding. Like everyone else, I hate hand sanding.

Steve

Thomas Canfield
01-27-2012, 10:53 PM
It won't hold much pop corn, but it is a nice job keeping bark and all. Those are fun bowls/forms to turn and one must remember which side of the tool rest is for fingers at all times and sanding under lathe power is not a good idea. An angle drill with sanding pads works well for power sanding the piece while being held on the lathe not turning.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-28-2012, 7:54 AM
"Ooh, nice!" was my first thought, then followed by "ooh, nice!" repeat ad infinitum! Lovely work, I kow how hard it is to turn those things! You did a job well done there sir, my hat off to you!