PDA

View Full Version : Kathy is not the only one with access to Sissoo

Jason Clark2
01-26-2012, 8:40 PM
Sissoo is a fairly common landscape tree used in the Phoenix metro area. It's a true Rosewood (Dalbergia Sissoo) sometimes known as Sissoo, Indian Rosewood (NOT East Indian Rosewood), Florida Rosewood, and Shisham. Being in the Dalbergia Genus it's closely related to all of the other Rosewoods; Kingwood, Cocobolo, Tulipwood, African Blackwood, etc..The 6 pieces in the first photo are some blanks that I've cut for a demo at the local Woodcraft on Saturday as it's pretty much the only semi-green wood I have at the moment. The 2 crotch pieces are too nice to demo with so they'll be set aside to be turned and cored in my shop. The circles on each are 9" diameter.The hollow form in the second photo is one I turned about 6 months ago, it will be one of my entries to the woodworking contests that run in conjunction with the demonstration. The main body is Sissoo with some sapwood, the pedestal and Finial are Macassar Ebony.Jason221408221409

Harry Robinette
01-26-2012, 9:22 PM
Jason it looks good but the picture throws it off, the back round should be one solid piece. Just MHO but I'm not a photography.

Roger Chandler
01-26-2012, 9:48 PM
Boy, that HF with pedestal and finial is a looker!

Kelvin Burton
01-27-2012, 1:10 AM
Jason, nice to see you here on the creek, don't remember seeing you post here recently. I sure like those two crotch pieces!

Donny Lawson
01-27-2012, 6:41 AM
Sissoo is a fairly common landscape tree used in the Phoenix metro area. It's a true Rosewood (Dalbergia Sissoo) sometimes known as Sissoo, Indian Rosewood (NOT East Indian Rosewood), Florida Rosewood, and Shisham. Being in the Dalbergia Genus it's closely related to all of the other Rosewoods; Kingwood, Cocobolo, Tulipwood, African Blackwood, etc..The 6 pieces in the first photo are some blanks that I've cut for a demo at the local Woodcraft on Saturday as it's pretty much the only semi-green wood I have at the moment. The 2 crotch pieces are too nice to demo with so they'll be set aside to be turned and cored in my shop. The circles on each are 9" diameter.The hollow form in the second photo is one I turned about 6 months ago, it will be one of my entries to the woodworking contests that run in conjunction with the demonstration. The main body is Sissoo with some sapwood, the pedestal and Finial are Macassar Ebony.Jason221408221409

Jason, would you be up for a wood trade??

Dan Hintz
01-27-2012, 6:56 AM
Love the contrast of heartwood and sapwood... wish I could get some of that stuff up here!

Mike Cruz
01-27-2012, 8:18 AM
That is just gorgeous!

Jason Clark2
01-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks all, I need to apologize for the photos, they're very quick cell phone photos in my shop. Overall dimensions on the pedestal piece is 7 1/2" diameter and 17" tall.

I might be up for a wood swap or two, I don't have much Sissoo left at the moment, just 1 piece that's roughly 18" cubed :) if you're interested in a swap send me a private message.

Jason