PDA

View Full Version : using drawing software to copy a part

stan kern
01-26-2012, 6:26 PM
http://youtu.be/ZBPSzPKAu2I cutting a gasket

took about 15 min to copy the gasket part and 35 sec to cut it ,very interesting software

AL Ursich
01-26-2012, 8:24 PM
Very Nice !!!

AL

Bill Cunningham
01-26-2012, 9:38 PM
I just trace the gasket on a sheet of white paper, or ink the part and press it on the paper. scan it to a black and white .tif, load it into corel trace and use centerline trace..Then verify the actual size, and hole sizes, and send to the laser.. done... I've used this method to make all kinds of gaskets.

Dan Hintz
01-27-2012, 7:14 AM
Bill,

Why waste the time copying it... I just throw it straight on the scanner bed.

stan kern
01-27-2012, 9:39 AM
ok how about something bigger than a scanner bed

Dan Hintz
01-27-2012, 9:52 AM
ok how about something bigger than a scanner bed
You run into the same problem if it won't fit onto your tablet. If it's not much bigger than my scanner, then I'll take multiple scans and stitch. If it's a huge item, then we're in the domain of a laser scanner... haven't had one of those jobs yet.

Joe Hillmann
01-27-2012, 10:35 AM
I go with Dan's method. I have actually placed a transmission right on my scanner because the gasket wouldn't come off in one piece and that was the least hassle way to make a gasket.

Joe De Medeiros
01-27-2012, 10:56 AM
You run into the same problem if it won't fit onto your tablet. If it's not much bigger than my scanner, then I'll take multiple scans and stitch. If it's a huge item, then we're in the domain of a laser scanner... haven't had one of those jobs yet.

I miss having access to a large scanner, we had a Vidar Truscan at my last job, it was great for doing large scans.

Frank Corker
01-27-2012, 2:37 PM
I put mine on the scanner also, 300dpi is perfect size, then just draw the required lines using the three point tool. The way that guy did it on Youtube would take way too long for me I'm afraid and nowhere near as accurate.

Chuck Stone
01-27-2012, 4:06 PM
I have actually placed a transmission right on my scanner

I tried that, but the jack slipped and I broke the glass..

stan kern
01-27-2012, 7:49 PM
http://youtu.be/E-ESF97iWxQ cutting a corner shelf
this diagram was in a 1936 deltagram magazine

stan kern
01-28-2012, 11:42 AM
the drawing table is large ---actual surface is the same as the laser 24x36
its quick and easy like this herron
http://youtu.be/7YDp26vcnqU cutting out a herron draw only

Bill Cunningham
01-28-2012, 7:59 PM
Bill,

Why waste the time copying it... I just throw it straight on the scanner bed.
I've done that too, but if it's a simple gasket (i.e. alpha 1 outdrive etc) it's just as quick to run a fine point sharpy around the edges,trace it 2bit and have corel centerline trace the line. No cleanup of the art, 'or' the scanner glass

Dan Hintz
01-29-2012, 9:18 AM
I've done that too, but if it's a simple gasket (i.e. alpha 1 outdrive etc) it's just as quick to run a fine point sharpy around the edges,trace it 2bit and have corel centerline trace the line. No cleanup of the art, 'or' the scanner glass
That's (mostly) my process. I scan it in as a grayscale image, do an edge find, then "find outline". I try to remove any manual edge finding, tracing with pens, etc.