PDA

View Full Version : Cutting band saw inserts

Ray Scheller
01-26-2012, 5:59 PM
This is probably a dumd question or one thats blatently obvious. What's the best method to cut the kerf in a new band saw insert in order to get it straight?

Neil Brooks
01-26-2012, 6:09 PM
This is probably a dumd question or one thats blatently obvious. What's the best method to cut the kerf in a new band saw insert in order to get it straight?

I don't think it's a dumb question, but ... I don't see it as a particularly fussy or critical issue, either.

You could -- if you were so inclined -- double stick tape the insert to a "carrier" board, let the edge of the carrier board ride against your fence, and ensure a straight cut, that way, but ...

The idea behind a BS ZCI is to minimize splintering, and give ultimate support, around the blade. If you don't make a SLOPPY cut ... by shifting the insert all over the place WHILE you cut it ... you'll have a relatively straight line, and a near zero clearance slot to do what it's supposed to do.

Sez me ;)

glenn bradley
01-26-2012, 8:23 PM
I used this:

Piece of scrap ply with a runner screwed on. I used a circle cutter to cut the outline to depth and then a router with a sraight bit to freehand out the waste in the center to depth. Slide it into the blade to where you want to stop and that's it. Beats getting you pinkies mangled.

Jerome Hanby
01-26-2012, 8:55 PM
Those are much better that the technique I used. In the interest of safety and avoiding any sick feelings, I won't elaborate <g>

Bruce Page
01-26-2012, 9:41 PM
That's pretty slick Glenn. I have always laid out the line with a Sharpie and eyeballed it.

Bill Huber
01-26-2012, 10:13 PM
I made this one for my Jet, it has a little pin to keep them from turning so I use that with mine. It took all of 5 min. to make, well it may have taken a little longer, the glue had to dry.
I just pull my table pin out and slid it across the front of the table.

glenn bradley
01-26-2012, 11:02 PM
That's where I stole the idea. I should have known; Bill's a clever guy. A belated thank you, Bill :).

Patrick McCarthy
01-27-2012, 12:13 PM
Ray, thanks for asking the question. Glenn and Bill, thank you for the answers with pictures. Exquisitely simple and brilliant. Now, I am off to fix mine . . . .

Ray Scheller
01-27-2012, 2:22 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm off to build a jig right now.

Van Huskey
01-27-2012, 11:16 PM
I made this one for my Jet, it has a little pin to keep them from turning so I use that with mine. It took all of 5 min. to make, well it may have taken a little longer, the glue had to dry.
I just pull my table pin out and slid it across the front of the table.

When I read the tile I thought of you! What mag was that published in?

Bill Huber
01-28-2012, 10:01 AM
That's where I stole the idea. I should have known; Bill's a clever guy. A belated thank you, Bill :).

Glenn, you did not steal anything from me, you took a spark from an idea I had, then made it better. That is what it is all about, one person has an idea, the next one makes it better and so on until you have a great product.

Bill Huber
01-28-2012, 10:02 AM
When I read the tile I thought of you! What mag was that published in?

I would have to look but I think it was Shop Notes.

glenn bradley
01-28-2012, 8:45 PM
Glenn, you did not steal anything from me, you took a spark from an idea I had, then made it better. That is what it is all about, one person has an idea, the next one makes it better and so on until you have a great product.

Tongue in cheek on that whole "steal" thing :D. You are dead on about ideas morphing around here. It is great watching an idea bounce around the Creek and track the little adjustments or improvements folks make to make things fit their own requirements.