PDA

View Full Version : Any such thing as an easy to setup dovetail jig?

Mark Burnette
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I despise my plastic Sears jig. Only used it once a couple decades ago because it was so frustrating. I saw an Akeda demo'd a few years ago & I thought that would be the jig for me...if it wasn't so expensive. Now I'm ready to pull the trigger and now they're not available :mad:
From my searching it appears nobody has stepped up to fill the gap. Maybe I've missed something...? C'mon China--you copy everything else!

I'm likely to only be an occasional user so I'm willing to give up infinite adjustability for simple. Where should I be looking?

Jim Rimmer
01-26-2012, 12:46 PM
The Rockler jig is pretty easy to use. I had (have) a Rockler and the bought a used, old style Leigh jig that is not too bad. All have a learning curve but once you get the hang of it they're not to bad. I haven't used the Porter Cable but a lot of folks speak highly of them. Variability and size limitations are the only issues with PC and Rockler but it all depends on what you want to do with it. I might consider selling my Rokler.

Jerome Hanby
01-26-2012, 1:10 PM
If you are willing to use the jig a intended, full dovetails, pretty rigid spacing, the Stots jig is pretty simple. And, it's cheap...

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
01-26-2012, 1:19 PM
I would seriously consider cutting them by hand. I have a Leigh jig and it simply takes too much time to set up then you still need to deal with the router and the mess. I decided a year ago to do it by hand and for non production work, I am already faster...plus layout options are limitless.

Cary Falk
01-26-2012, 1:30 PM
I'm willing to give up infinite adjustability for simple. Where should I be looking?

Porter Cable PC4210, PC4212, or the PC4216. Same basic Jig with different/more templates. There is a supplemental manual online that will show how to do infinite length, nested, and variable spacing if you want to take it that far. It is bullet proof for half blinds.

Brett Bobo
01-26-2012, 1:41 PM
+1 on what Bruno said. For production work, it makes sense to have a setup that allows repetitive, accurate cuts but even for a couple of drawers, hand cut dovetails can rival, in terms of speed, a dovetail jig. Maybe it's just me but I have the PC 4212 jig and I find that it takes time to dial in the setup accurately, primarily with the alignment of adjacent drawer sides. To avoid the irritations and time spent on the setup, I'll get it close and then turn to a hand plane to clean up any misalignment issues.

Jerome Hanby
01-26-2012, 1:44 PM
I've watched Rob Cosman's dovetail videos and I feel that I've mastered...watching his videos. He's going to cost me some money for a Titemark and an LN saw or two, but I'll never be able to cut dovetails like his...

John Lanciani
01-26-2012, 1:47 PM
Not much is simpler or faster than a Keller for through dovetails, but I'd probably go with the newer Leigh R9 just because I like their stuff.

Ray Scheller
01-26-2012, 1:49 PM
I'm curious why aren't they available anymore?

paul cottingham
01-26-2012, 2:20 PM
+1 on the Keller.

Mark Burnette
01-26-2012, 3:31 PM
I'm curious why aren't they available anymore?
In a nutshell the inventor is more interested in designing than producing. That's a bit smug but he just isn't motivated to make more.

Tom Ewell
01-26-2012, 4:23 PM
In a nutshell the inventor is more interested in designing than producing. That's a bit smug but he just isn't motivated to make more.
So the comments on this page (http://akeda.com/find-a-dealer.html) are not accurate regarding the temporary shortage and reserving your jig at the vendor's site?

I was getting close to pulling the trigger as well.

Guess I'll continue along with my PC 4216 setup

guy knight
01-26-2012, 4:41 PM
So the comments on this page (http://akeda.com/find-a-dealer.html) are not accurate regarding the temporary shortage and reserving your jig at the vendor's site?

define temporary what has it been 2 years now i was looking at getting one close two two years ago go figure

Tom Ewell
01-26-2012, 4:53 PM
define temporary what has it been 2 years now i was looking at getting one close two two years ago go figure

Crap...yep, that'd be a long temporary.... oh well.... maybe Harbor Freight will buy a license and put one out for $99.99 after 20 percent off coupon.

Homer Faucett
01-26-2012, 4:54 PM
I agree that if you want half-blind dovetails, the PC 4210, etc. is a simple jig to use. I made two sets of good (not quite perfect, but good) dovetails in less than an hour out of the box. One router bit, one router setup, and it cuts the tails and pins together. Pretty slick.

I like my Leigh for variable spaced through dovetails.

Porter Cable PC4210, PC4212, or the PC4216. Same basic Jig with different/more templates. There is a supplemental manual online that will show how to do infinite length, nested, and variable spacing if you want to take it that far. It is bullet proof for half blinds.

john lampros
01-26-2012, 6:26 PM
if your blasting out kitchen drawers or other production work the keller, or that one piece style, is the fastest. the variable spaced ones like the leigh take too much time to set up along with the wasted stock in tuning. I would learn to cut them by hand. It dosnt take but a few practice pieces to get the hang of it and in the long run I know it ends up being faster. And besides, you can spot a machine cut dovetail a mile away, if that means anything to you. I guess it depends on what the goal is.

Mark Burnette
01-26-2012, 7:10 PM
I want to be able to do half blind. I've cut & chopped some practice through-dt's in the past and enjoyed doing it but I don't think I could master HB. I know the mechanics of it but the "touch" takes more time than I can commit for occasional use. Maybe when I retire...

Harold Burrell
01-26-2012, 7:30 PM

Where is that "supplemental manual", pray tell...:o

Mike Henderson
01-26-2012, 7:46 PM
I want to be able to do half blind. I've cut & chopped some practice through-dt's in the past and enjoyed doing it but I don't think I could master HB. I know the mechanics of it but the "touch" takes more time than I can commit for occasional use. Maybe when I retire...
Actually, half blinds are easier because you only have one face of the tail showing. So you can make all kind of mistakes, as long as that tail face fits the socket well.

Mike

richard poitras
01-26-2012, 7:52 PM
+1 on the Keller.

+1 on the Keller

Doug Colombo
01-26-2012, 8:19 PM
+1 for the Keller - Peachtree also sells a Keller clone - both are very easy to set up and cut dovetails with. You can also cut them on your router table with this jig (or of course with a hand held router). No bushings to install on the router - the bits you use have bearings. Great system.

Mike Cross
01-26-2012, 8:53 PM
Where is that "supplemental manual", pray tell...:o

Try here:

http://www.portercable.com/jigs/dovetail/SupplementalManual.pdf

frank shic
01-26-2012, 10:05 PM
having a devoted router to just do dovetail cutting and a permanent fixed location for the jig would seem like the most efficient way to process dovetail drawers... i'll still take a hammer and chisel any day of the week over the dust and noise though ;)

Bruce Wrenn
01-26-2012, 10:06 PM
The tru dovetail comb from the PC 4200 series can be used like a Keller, or on the router table like a Katie. The 4212 is so easy to use, that even I can use it with success.

Steve Baumgartner
01-27-2012, 7:18 AM
I despise my plastic Sears jig. Only used it once a couple decades ago because it was so frustrating. I saw an Akeda demo'd a few years ago & I thought that would be the jig for me...if it wasn't so expensive. Now I'm ready to pull the trigger and now they're not available :mad:
From my searching it appears nobody has stepped up to fill the gap. Maybe I've missed something...? C'mon China--you copy everything else!

I'm likely to only be an occasional user so I'm willing to give up infinite adjustability for simple. Where should I be looking?

The Akeda jig is still available through http://www.thejigstore.com/index.php. I have ordered from them without problems in the past. So far as I know, that is the only currently active source. The maker originally had an exclusive arrangement with Woodcraft, but WC dropped the jig a few years ago and so far as I know only The Jig Store has picked it up.

Mark Burnette
01-27-2012, 8:00 AM
The Akeda jig is still available through http://www.thejigstore.com/index.php. I have ordered from them without problems in the past. So far as I know, that is the only currently active source. The maker originally had an exclusive arrangement with Woodcraft, but WC dropped the jig a few years ago and so far as I know only The Jig Store has picked it up.
They are shown on their website but the jig hasn't been available--and none have shipped--in over 2 years. The Jigstore appears to be a kitchen table enterprise.

This is kind of a problem with the internet in general. NO freshness date on the material.

Jim Matthews
01-27-2012, 8:19 AM
Frustration with a Leigh jig lead me down the Neanderthal path.

I can cut dovetails on a single drawer in about an hour. I can set up the Leigh jig in about an hour.
I fit a drawer once, maybe twice in a year (repair jobs) so either method would be faster with repetition.

That said - I like my saws, which are useful for many other things.
I miss my top heavy router not at all...

jim
wpt, ma

Rob Holcomb
01-27-2012, 5:03 PM
I have a Keller and two dedicated routers for the bits. Set it up and forget it. I didn't use mine for a year and then had to do some dovetails. Slapped it on the boards and went to town. Perfect fit! A lot can be said for getting the job done right without spending an hour fiddling with measurements and test cuts.

Zach England
01-27-2012, 5:23 PM
The Akeda is pretty easy to set up. I am really hoping to sell mine some time this summer or fall, but for now my hand-cut dovetails are just not there and I have a couple of projects I must get done before I spende countless hours practicing hand-cut dovetails.

Don Morris
01-28-2012, 9:05 AM
I have the Keller and PC 4112, an older version of the nicer 4210. The Keller is really simple for through and through dovetails. The PC is relatively simple, not too costly, and can give a nice result with a couple test runs.

Ray Scheller
01-28-2012, 3:41 PM
I have both (16" & 24") Akeda jigs with a dedicated router and I'm still learning but so far I've been able to produce very good through and half blind dovetails.

Mark Burnette
02-16-2012, 9:41 AM
Wow I guess you could say the Akeda is now a collectible. An unused (but no box) BC24 + C-kit showed up on eBay and someone quickly snatched it up for the buy it now price of $800! I wonder if the buyer knows that package last sold brand new for $670?

Dave Cav
02-16-2012, 4:28 PM
I'll throw in another vote for the Keller and two routers. Go on CL or check your local pawn shops for a couple of extra routers.

Mike Cogswell
02-16-2012, 7:13 PM
Can't speak to the Keller, I've never used one, but the Porter Cable is an excellent choice. It's like a good quality plane in a way - it does a good job out of the box, but will do a great job with a bit of tuning. And unlike the quality plane, once you've tuned it you don't have to take it apart and sharpen it from time to time.