PDA

View Full Version : White Cherry

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
This is a small piece of cherry. It's 6 1/4" tall X 4" dia. Airbrushed with artists acrylic paint's & top coated with gloss varnish.
This is my 1st white piece & for some reason I struggled with the airbrushing of the white. I painted the white & then had to completely sanded it off 4 different times & repaint it before I got a finish I was happy with.
What's your thoughts on this one.
honest critiques are always welcome 221362

Bill Bolen
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Sure feels like fine Porcelain from here . Your hard finishing work really paid off.

Roger Chandler
01-26-2012, 1:53 PM
That is beautiful, Joe..............nice form and your finish is great.........that would display fine anywhere!

Robert McGowen
01-26-2012, 2:05 PM
That is a super nice finish. I am glad that all of the hard work paid off.

I am not sure about the sharp edge at the top rim. It kind of contrasts against the smooth white lines of the vase.

Dan Hintz
01-26-2012, 2:20 PM
Sure feels like fine Porcelain from here.
I thought "highly polished plastic", but your description sounds better :D

Michelle Rich
01-26-2012, 3:17 PM
amazing paint..makes it look like china very cool

John Keeton
01-26-2012, 3:17 PM
Classy looking piece, Joe! I think with the black, for my tastes the neck/throat could be a little smaller.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-26-2012, 4:08 PM
Classy looking piece, Joe! I think with the black, for my tastes the neck/throat could be a little smaller.
Thanks John.
A small confession for you & Robert. The piece was originally going to have the larger classic rim that I use a lot. However there was a small knot in the rim & it cracked during drying. I probably could have repaired it with expoxy since I was going to paint it any way but I chose to just cut it off instead.
The neck may still have been a little large for this size piece but it did look more in proportion with the larger rim.

John M. Smith
01-26-2012, 6:55 PM
The paint job looks awesome!!! I have always found solid color paint to be more difficult than clear coat or stain.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-27-2012, 7:47 AM
Sure feels like fine Porcelain from here . Your hard finishing work really paid off.
Thanks Bill. That's the look I was after on this one. I custom mixed the white trying for this look. It's not a out of the bottle white.

Steve Vaughan
01-27-2012, 7:52 AM
John K used the same word I'd use - Classy. Really a great looking piece that everyone would want. Don't know how the rim would have looked had you been able to keep it, but sure like this look. Sweet!

Mike Cruz
01-27-2012, 8:16 AM
My opinion? Well, sorry to say that while the finish is certainly impeccable, I don't "get" it. If you are going to paint something, it could have been made of pine, poplar, or whatever...so that it is Cherry gets lost. Also, for me, now there is no wood grain. So it could not only be any kind of wood, it could be any kind of material. That's just me...

That said, it is certainly a beautiful piece...shape, finish, proportions. Sorry, didn't mean to poo-poo on it. Painting isn't my thing...

Steve Campbell
01-27-2012, 8:20 AM
Joe I don't normally like painted wood, But how can you not love the great job you did on this one. Very very nice.

Steve

Bob Bergstrom
01-27-2012, 9:18 AM
Beautiful piece Joe. I would think using a airbrush to spray something that large would not give great results. A detail gun lays drown a wider spray pattern. I would think the airbrush left too much streaking.

Primvs Aebvtivs
01-27-2012, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=Joe Meirhaeghe;1859632]
honest critiques are always welcome QUOTE]

Sorry, but I think I must be the only one to say "what a shame". I like the style, a pity about the neck breaking at the knot, but I prefer wood to look like wood... That aside I wish I could finish something to this standard! Excellent turning work.

Prashun Patel
01-27-2012, 11:31 AM
That's a flalwess finish. I like everything about it except the fact that it was cherry you painted. I don't even like to stain cherry, let alone paint it. That notwithstanding, it's really beautiful.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-27-2012, 9:34 PM
Beautiful piece Joe. I would think using a airbrush to spray something that large would not give great results. A detail gun lays drown a wider spray pattern. I would think the airbrush left too much streaking.

Thanks Bob. Streaking was not a problem for me. The problems I encountered were more do to me and not the airbrush. I'd either get a little heavy in a spot & get a run or I bumped my finger against the wet surface, my shirt sleeve brushed against the wet surface. But I did finally manage to get a good finish.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-27-2012, 9:44 PM
My opinion? Well, sorry to say that while the finish is certainly impeccable, I don't "get" it. If you are going to paint something, it could have been made of pine, poplar, or whatever...so that it is Cherry gets lost. Also, for me, now there is no wood grain. So it could not only be any kind of wood, it could be any kind of material. That's just me...

That said, it is certainly a beautiful piece...shape, finish, proportions. Sorry, didn't mean to poo-poo on it. Painting isn't my thing...
Thanks Mike. Now if I may give a explanation on to why I painted this piece. It was turned end grain from a small cherry limb, centered on the pith. It being so small that the piece was 90% sap wood yielding little to no grain pattern or natural cherry color. But I thought I could still make a nice piece out of a very bland piece of wood if I could ad something to it to make it stand out & say I'm shinny Look at Me.
Hope this helps you Get it.:)

James Combs
01-27-2012, 9:45 PM
That is a nice form and your finish...WOW...but I agree with the wood should show wood school.

Baxter Smith
01-27-2012, 11:50 PM
Great job on the finish Joe! Looks great but too bad about the rim. I think a little extra there would have looked good.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-28-2012, 9:27 AM
Great job on the finish Joe! Looks great but too bad about the rim. I think a little extra there would have looked good.

Thanks Baxter. I think the intended rim would have given it a much better look, but it is what it is. Some times you have to work with what you have. I think It was worth finishing the piece the way I did. I had thought about just throwing it away & just moving on to the next piece when the original rim cracked.

Nate Davey
01-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Joe, beautiful job with the form and finish. I'm not a fan of painted work, but I certain appreciate your skill on the finish. Very well done.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Joe - I am more of a fan of dyes than paint but I really like the mystery this piece offers. Folks don't know what material it is made out of - porcelain, clay, plastic, wood or whatever - until you tell them. Then they will get that amazed look on their face and really check the piece out!

I like the form on this - and the black rim not only provides a set boundary, the added contrast draws even more attention to the porcelain! Nice work!

Mike Cruz
01-28-2012, 10:33 AM
Joe, that makes sense. If the wood had nothing to show, then the finish may beg for the attention. Again, I really didn't mean to down on it, just that I'm not a paint-over-beautiful-wood kinda guy. And if the wood wasn't beautiful (my fault for assuming a piece of cherry wouldn't be) something needed to be done. It really is a stunning turning and flawless finish.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-28-2012, 8:31 PM
Steve Thanks for taking time to look & your comments. I really like the look of a lot of dyed pieces that you & others here have done. That said and don't take this the wrong way, but I stay away from dyes because It's my hope that my pieces will be around for many many years. ( I'm sure you do as well) And I know that dyes will not stand the test of time, they will differently fade with time and loose there appearance. I also know that there's no guarantee that the acrylic's I use will last forever. I do use the highest quality pigmented acrylic artist paints available. The Smithsonian Institute also recommends the use of pigments over dyes to wood artist.