PDA

View Full Version : How to find a market?

Royce Meritt
03-17-2005, 11:32 AM
Sort of an "off the wall" question for you.

I am a "semi-professional" woodworker. By that I mean I get paid for my woodworking but it is not how I make my living. I have made a number of flyfishing related items that I think are top-notch. Fly boxes, landing nets, rod tubes, fly tying desks and benches, etc.

The problem is that I live in eastern South Dakota. Not exactly a "hot bed of fly fishing". Also, South Dakota isn't loaded with people with enough money to spend $40 on a wooden fly box just because it looks nice when the $6 fly box will hold flies just as well, or $80 on a rod tube when a $15 one will do the job.

So my question is...Is there a market out there for these types of "presentation quality" items? If so, how do you tap into it? I see similar items on the internet and at fly fishing shows. Does anybody really buy this stuff?

I'm not asking if any of you want to buy my stuff. I'm asking "How do you find the type of person who WILL buy this stuff because it is HIGH QUALITY, looks good, and, darn it, they think they are worth spending that kind of money on themselves?"

Thanks for any input. (Or am I just kidding myself?)

Dave Anderson NH
03-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi Royce- As a "Semi-pro" woodworker/ toolmaker myself, I will say there is a market. There is always a market for top quality products which are well made and well designed for their purpose in any hobby area. Enthusiasts who can afford to do so will be happy to part with the money if they are getting something which meets their needs and provide what they perceive as a good value. The difficult areas of the equation are in setting a price which is "reasonable", whatever that means, and in finding a way to target your market. Just putting up a weebsite and sitting back waiting for the orders to roll in just doesn't cut it. You must actively promote your product on the web in general, get listed in the links areas of enthusiast forums, and most difficult and expensive of all show your product at shows, gatherings, and any other event where hobbiests gather. To go to the expense, in time and money, requires a commitment and a vision of what your goals are and what you can realistically expect to gain. If it is not a labor of love you won't be able to sustain the effort and you won't succeed.

Starting off you need to take your product or products to someone recognized as an expert in the area and convince them to test, use, and evaluate your box. Be prepared to accept a host of criticisms graciously and learn from them. My first versions of my marking knives, awls, and plane hammers left a bit to be desired in both workmanship and in some design aspects. Brutally honest and in some cases not very flattering criticism and suggestions provide me with invaluable assistance in improving my designs and upgrading my overall quality. The worst thing you can do is release a product for sale before the design and quality bugs are worked out. You never will get a second chance to develop your reputation. This is not to say that enhancements, improvements, and design changes can't be made later. In fact you will always want to incorporate upgrades to offer better value.

I've rambled long enough now. Good luck.

Steve Clardy
03-17-2005, 1:16 PM
Try approaching Bass Pro Shops. They are head quartered in Springfield, MO.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-17-2005, 1:35 PM
Like the others, there is a market for your goods, wheter you are price to high for this market is a question, or too low for that matter.

If I were trying to sell fly fishing gear, I would look for fly fisherman, I know that sounds smart alecky. What I am saying is, watch the papers for fly fisheries. Where fishermen get together in a competition. See if you can set up a small space at it. Some of the local fisheries may let you do it for nothing if you explain you are just starting out.

Good luck!

Dennis Peacock
03-17-2005, 2:37 PM
Well...don't bring it to my part of the country. Folks here want to pay a Wal-Mart price for a high end custom piece of furniture!!! :mad: :mad:

Example: I frequently get:
I'll give you $5 for that custom pen you made.
(me) Nope. That pen cost me $25 to make in materials alone
Well, ok...I'll give you $7.50 then.
(me) No thank you. and I walk away.

I even gave a lady a price quote on a 3 tier entertainment center and I priced it so low that I was only making $125 on the whole deal. She promptly told me that the price was way too high and that she could get something like it cheaper at Wal-Mart or Office Depot. :confused: Since when did Wal-Mart or Office Depot start selling custom Red Oak furniture to meet customer designs? :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

Off Soapbox now....

Royce Meritt
03-17-2005, 3:19 PM
[QUOTE=Dennis Peacock]Well...don't bring it to my part of the country. Folks here want to pay a Wal-Mart price for a high end custom piece of furniture!!! :mad: :mad:

Dennis- It's the same here. People seem to think my custom pieces should cost LESS because they were not STORE BOUGHT! I just can't fathom people wanting CUSTOM MADE, HANDCRAFTED, HIGHER QUALITY and then expecting to pay less than "off the shelf"! :mad:

Dan Stuewe
03-17-2005, 3:24 PM
I agree with getting in with forums that would be interested in your work. I've looked into making a few rods for myself and found this forum...

http://www.rodbuilding.org/list.php?2

They focus on rod building, but I think your type of work would also be appriciated.

Good luck

Darren Ford
03-17-2005, 4:06 PM
Unfortunately the "thats more than it costs at the store" hits every custom industry. Its the same in my work (software), its the same for my dad (machinist). I worked for my dad during college and I don't think there was a week that went by where we did not have someone come in wanting us to make a bolt, screw, or drive shaft. Somehow they thought we could make a screw for less than 5 cents? We even had one guy who wanted us to weld a dipstick back together that had rusted apart. (Guess what we called him after that...)

You just have to move on to the people who know the difference, educating the public is something you will go broke trying to do.

Jerry Olexa
03-17-2005, 9:37 PM
Take a look @ ORVIS. They have successfully gone after the high end fly fishing segment. Yes they are high priced but fly fisherman know they are getting high quality from ORVIS, When in Yellowstone last year, my son and I wanted to go fly fishing on the Snake river. The rate for a 4-6 hr guided float fishing trip on the river was $500!! The supplies for the trip were all from Orvis! We didn't go but I do believe there is a market for what you describe. It is a select market and must be specifically targeted. I think fly fishermen have the $ or they wouldn't be in that segment. Get some Orvis catalogs, etc. Good hunting...err fishing.

Royce Meritt
03-21-2005, 9:51 AM
Thanks for all of the good advice. I'll check out some of your suggestions. I'll post a few pictures when I finish this batch of rod tubes, nets and fly boxes. Thanks again!

Royce