PDA

View Full Version : Alway Facemask John....Always Facemask!!!

Dick Wilson
01-26-2012, 11:39 AM
John, I am posting a new thread rather than add to Roger's thread.

You mentioned in his thread that "sometimes you do not wear the face mask" Please wear it. I NEVER turn my lathe without having the face mask on!! Here is a great story to prove my point.

The piece is a hollowed to finish spaulted Sycamore form. 8" x 6". Zero problem turning it or hollowing. With my face mask ON I started sanding the outside at 450 RPM. Everything was normal until almost half the turning shattered my face shield. I was looking througH huge cracks and missing pieces of the mask. My whole face felt like someone had wacked me with the broad side of a canoe paddle. I staggered around for a minute with "what the hell happened?" running through my head. After I made sure I didn't need to go to the med center (I had already hit the emergency stop on my lathe) I started looking at the pieces. You see the leather stitching? The leather stitching is holding the piece hit me. I was using a chuck to hold the turning. When it blew up it pulled part of the tenon out of the chuck too:eek::eek:. The reason it blew up was the beautiful spault lines (now the crack with stitching) went all the way through and I am sure that the wood was so weak that it cut loose.

The end of the story is that I put Humpty Dumpty back together. I cut out a large hole at the top and now use it for my brochures at my tent sales. Always a reminder of what could have been......I would have spent some time in the hospital.

WEAR IT JOHN AND EVERYONE ELSE, PLEASE!!!!!!!!!221359

John Keeton
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Wise words, Dick - wise words!! I try, I promise I do, but I will try harder!:o

Tony De Masi
01-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Always do, Always will. Everyone who turns at my place will always have one on too. If they don't want to use one then they don't turn. Period.

Bill White
01-26-2012, 2:14 PM
I DO wear my shield, and I really like the "recovery" of the workpiece.
Great post.
Bill

John Beaver
01-26-2012, 3:00 PM
I'm another one who won't turn the lathe on with out wearing a shield. Please do the same

Jim Burr
01-26-2012, 3:48 PM
To support you're stand Dick, I had 2 out of 3 very sharp and fast moving chunks of olive give my Trend a "Glad to meet ya!" two weeks ago. After insuring my undergarments would survive a few more hours and evaluating my shield...I chucked up a piece of walnut and went about my day. There is a word for people who are unsafe on purpose...starts with and "S". Not using a any kind of valid protection is a choice made on purpose wether due to ego or ignorance, it's still a choice...and a bad one at that.

Bill Wyko
01-26-2012, 4:13 PM
All it takes is once!!! Once is typically the time you don't have on your shield. I don't even have safety glasses in my shop. Only 3 shields. Safety glasses won't stop your teeth from getting knocked out. Glad you're ok. Cool idea for the repair too.

Brian Libby
01-26-2012, 5:08 PM
I was always one that did not need one-they got in the way. I have "retrained" myself to wear a faceshield !!!! In my "old age" I have become extremely safety conscious- (the body takes a lot longer to heal !!!)

Gene Hintze
01-26-2012, 7:40 PM
People don't even get to watch me turn without wearing a faceshield.

Sid Matheny
01-26-2012, 7:51 PM
Me, almost never! Yeah I know but us old rednecks learn the hard way.

Sid

Alan Zenreich
01-26-2012, 8:02 PM
People don't even get to watch me turn without wearing a faceshield.

That's the way it is in my shop.

Same thing while carrying a passenger on my motorcycle... In the event of an unintentional ejection from the bike, they would hit the same road as I would. So the deserve (and get) the same level of (excellent) protective gear that I use.

Peter Blair
01-26-2012, 8:28 PM
I gotta admit the I only wear one when I 'think' the process that I'm doing is dangerous. With my farsightedness and glasses and a face shield I stubble to see well enough but THANKS for the reminder. I guess not being able to see well enough is better than not being able to see at all!!