PDA

View Full Version : Saw Fleam Bevel Gauge

Jim Koepke
01-26-2012, 12:31 AM
My latest project in the shop is an attempt to put together a saw from an old saw plate.

A recent post made me think about putting a little fleam on what was going to be a straight rip. Figuring it can always be redone if it doesn't suite my needs.

Also have seen some people's posts on putting a kerf in a piece of wood to use as a guide when filing fleam on teeth. That didn't want to work for me.

So, hunt down some scraps of wood, hacksaw blade, screw, winged nut, washer and voila here is my Saw Fleam Bevel Gauge:

The other side has a kerf to sit on a saw blade:

The strange thing about this story is I have not been able to use it of yet. Just when it was finished I thought it would be good to take a couple of pictures. So I started toward the house to get the camera and the lights went out. Two hours later when the lights came back on other things were on my mind. Finally did go take a couple of pictures and I will get to give it a whirl tomorrow.

jtk

Mike Holbrook
01-26-2012, 1:09 AM
A sliding bevel for fleam angles, ingenius! I have been thinking on how to do the angles better too.

Chris Vandiver
01-26-2012, 1:14 AM
Jim,

That is a nice piece of apple you have for the saw handle, in the background.

Chris Griggs
01-26-2012, 7:17 AM
Cool idea Jim. I like it a lot! Let us know how it works out.

Joshua Byrd
01-26-2012, 9:47 AM
Well if that isn't nifty, I don't know what is! Excellent Macgyvering on that, sir. I will probably have to borrow that idea...

Jim Koepke
01-26-2012, 1:07 PM
That is a nice piece of apple you have for the saw handle, in the background.

That will be on this saw when it all comes together. It is from a neighbors tree that came down in a big storm a little more than 3 years ago. It was from one of the smaller pieces that are starting to get dry enough to work.

Well if that isn't nifty, I don't know what is! Excellent Macgyvering on that, sir. I will probably have to borrow that idea...

The kerf was made by using a Tite MarkŪ marking gauge and readjusting it just a hair between multiple passes. Then it was carefully sawn. It was learned one should use a saw that leaves the narrowest kerf. DUH!

More will be posted when the whole thing is finished.

I won't have much chance to work on it today since I have to go to town to see the dentist for a cleaning.

jtk

Jim Koepke
01-27-2012, 5:55 PM
Today was my first chance to use my fleam gauge.

A few changes might make for easier use.

The blade is on the same plane as the file rake guide. Maybe the blade could be set on the top of the wooden piece.

It would also be easier to set if the blade wasn't set as deep into the handle as this one. On a standard bevel gauge, the blade is able to be flush with the top radius. Of course the blade and the body have the same dimension. I just kind of centered the bolt hole.

It does work, it could just be further refined.

jtk