PDA

View Full Version : Cradle plans/ideas/pics

Jeff Sudmeier
03-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Everyone,

I am currently on the hunt for cradle plans, ideas and pictures. Those of you that have built a cradle, what features do you like about them, that you would have to build into the next one. I am looking to build this for my sister.

Post your pictures of that heirloom cradle you built or plans for one.

Thanks in advance!

Kurt Loup
03-17-2005, 11:31 AM
Here's one I built out of cypress. I built the cradle from a photo in the book,
Louisiana French Furnishings 1700-1830. The only thing I changed was adding extra spindles.

Kurt

http://www.loup-garou.net/completedcradle.jpg

Greg Scott
03-17-2005, 4:21 PM
I think you could put a baby blue whale in that one and not have any trouble with it breaking!!!

Dave Richards
03-17-2005, 6:32 PM
How about this?
http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/tyler.jpg
Two points if you can guess who is posing next to it. That should be easy. :D

Bruce Page
03-17-2005, 7:41 PM
Jeff, here's one that I did a couple of years ago.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=2801

Kevin Post
03-17-2005, 8:28 PM
Here's my version of the same cradle Bruce made in white oak. I made it over seven years ago for my oldest son. It's a bit dusty and is stashed in a spare room for use by stuffed animals. I want to disassemble it and store it for grand-children but SWMBO won't let me.

The plan came from Woodsmith #48 (http://www.woodsmithstore.com/heirloomcradle.html) :

http://www.rockyroad.org/images/cradle.jpg

Lars Thomas
03-17-2005, 8:30 PM
Jeff, Here's mine (well, my boys'). I think I still have the sketch/plan if you elect to go this route. Lars

Bart Sharp
03-17-2005, 9:40 PM
Here is the one I built for my niece. The woods are white oak and walnut, and the design is my own. There were definitely some things I would have done differently in hindsight, but all in all I think it turned out alright.

Bruce Page
03-17-2005, 11:07 PM
Here's my version of the same cradle Bruce made in white oak. I made it over seven years ago for my oldest son. It's a bit dusty and is stashed in a spare room for use by stuffed animals. I want to disassemble it and store it for grand-children but SWMBO won't let me.

The plan came from Woodsmith #48 (http://www.woodsmithstore.com/heirloomcradle.html) :
Kevin, the cradle that I made is doing the exact same duty as yours; Official stuffed toy receptical!
LOL!

Bart Sharp
03-17-2005, 11:14 PM
Kevin, the cradle that I made is doing the exact same duty as yours; Official stuffed toy receptical!
LOL!

Mine too! In hindsight, I'm not sure I would do another cradle. It's a lot of time and effort to make something that is really only useful for a few months for each baby. I think in the future I will be more likely to build blanket chests and such for new babies, things that they can use and enjoy throughout their life.

Of course, it is neat to know that my niece's grandchildren will someday sleep in exactly the same cradle that she slept in. My mom has a cradle that she and both her sisters slept in, and both my siblings and I slept in. Something about the accumulated psychic energy or something, but it's pretty cool.

John A. Williams
03-18-2005, 12:16 AM
here is the cradle I built with my Dad for my niece

Frank Pellow
03-18-2005, 8:19 AM
I made the depicted cradle twice. The first one was six years ago for my grandson Christian Frackleton and the second was 4 years ago for my honourary niece Melanie Eng. Both cradles got extensive use by the children and their subsequent siblings and, yes, like others have said, as a home for stuffed toys.

The plans came from a Readers Digest book called "Toys, Games, and Furniture" (ISBN: 0-89577-790-8) and I found them to be quite good. By the way, I have made several other items from this book

Jeff Sudmeier
03-18-2005, 9:04 AM
Thanks for all of the replies guys!! I think if I make one it will be the woodsmith 48. The reason that I like the idea of the cradle is that they are normally something that is passed down from mother to child to child, etc and can easily become an heirloom :)

Dave Richards
03-18-2005, 9:51 AM
I can't believe it. Nobody even has a guess as to who is standing next to the cradle I built? :D

Jeff, one work of advice. If it is possible to do so, make it so the cradle will knock down at least somewhat. In my excitement to complete the one I built, I neglected to provide a method for knocking down the stand. I'm now stuck with this rather large thing that will have to be stored one of these days.

Right now the boat is an ark for the stuffed critters but I'm plannig to put it away before Ian is old enough to have thoughts of cutting it down and hauling it to the local pond. :eek:

Kevin Post
03-18-2005, 11:35 AM
If it is possible to do so, make it so the cradle will knock down at least somewhat. I'm now stuck with this rather large thing that will have to be stored one of these days.

The Woodsmith plan is designed to be knocked-down. That's one reason I chose it.

Unscrew the knobs at either end of the cradle to remove the basket.
Remove the button plugs to reveal the screws that hold the basket together.
The stretcher attaches to the uprights using thru tenons that are held in place with wedge pins. Remove the pins and it all comes apart.

One thing I would change... The cradle has a locking mechanism to keep it from swinging. The lower knob connects through the upright with a dowel that has been milled and is hollow. It slides into a hole in the basket to lock it.

Unfortunately, it also made what appeared to be a good foot-hold for someone who wanted to look at his baby brother. The dowel was weakened by the amount of material removed to make the peice and snapped off under his weight. I like the wooden knobs because they match the wood nicely but I would make the locking piece (which is not seen) out of something stronger than a dowel. Maybe UHMW plastic or brass...

-Kevin

Lars Thomas
03-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Dave, you were right, it's too easy. It's Tyler - AKA Pix Polic.

Fred LeBail
03-18-2005, 12:47 PM
Jeff, check out the " Similar Thread" section and you can see the one I did last year for my daughter.

Fred

Patrick Austermann
03-18-2005, 5:26 PM
here is another idea - I saw a similar crib from a Norwegian Manufacturer (Stokke) but I liked neither the choice of wood (beech) nor the construction technique (bent lamination) so I built this one out of steam-bent cherry with handcut dovetailed corners. I had the matress custom made of organic lambswool felt.

Patrick