PDA

View Full Version : Auger bit sharpening

Mike Holbrook
01-25-2012, 11:16 PM
I have a decent collection of auger bits I won at auction some of which need sharpening. I know there is at least one company (L-N) that carries special files for this purpose. I was wondering if I couldn't just use my saw sharpening files for that job?

Chris Vandiver
01-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Auger bit files have safe edges on one end and safe sides on the other end, which is a necessity for sharpening auger bits.

Jim Koepke
01-26-2012, 12:20 AM
What Chris said.

Have you seen this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?131238-A-Bit-About-Augers

I think Bob Smalser also posted a thread on the sweep brace that also includes information about auger bits.

I had another post on auger bits that showed a few other things to look for. The SMC search function is not what it used to be

jtk

Mike Holbrook
01-26-2012, 12:45 AM
Search has not been doing much for me lately, it seems to find all sorts of info. not related. Thanks for the verdict and the link.

Jim I remember your post, studied it back when I was researching info. on auger bits, just did not know how to get back to it.

john brenton
01-26-2012, 9:21 AM
If you have a grinder you can grind some safe edges, and grind the file thinner so that you can use it as an auger file. I've found that even when a saw file no longer works well for saw filing, there is still enough life to sharpen auger bits...especially on the ends.

Auger files are not so expensive that you couldn't just buy one, but even if you do get one it is nice to make a small file for your smaller bits.

Mike Holbrook
01-26-2012, 9:39 AM
Thanks guys. I will order a file from L-N. The postage will probably be half the cost of the file or more so I have been waiting until I needed something else from LN. Guess I should just go ahead and drop the hammer on it. I can probably find something else LN has I could use ;-)

Jim Koepke
01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Search has not been doing much for me lately, it seems to find all sorts of info. not related. Thanks for the verdict and the link.

Jim I remember your post, studied it back when I was researching info. on auger bits, just did not know how to get back to it.

The originals are in the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs almost all the way at the bottom of the first page.

I searched my computer just know and found that I had made a folder of links last time the search function went hinky.

Here is a little more information on bits in answer to another member's question:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167266-Auger-bit-question

I think I saved this one to redo it and add it to the end of my earlier thread. Just never got the magical round tuit.

jtk

Jim Neeley
01-26-2012, 1:10 PM
While on the L-N site I noticed their file description indicating that Nicholson has quit making this file.

I then popped onto Craftsman Studio and, in their clearance bin, they still have stock. Needless to say I have one (and other stuff, of course) on the way! <g>

http://www.craftsmanstudio.com/html_p/DC!001.htm if you need one.

I have no vested interest in CS except for being a satisfied repeat customer.

Jim