PDA

View Full Version : Novice needs advice on lathe

Steve Swinton
03-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Hi All,
Just finished a course (Turning 101) at Woodcraft and am reading Richard Raffan's "Turning Wood" book. I'm very interested in turning and need to purchase a lathe. I don't want to purchase something and need to upgrade in a year. Probably going to turn spindles more than bowls (I think). Any recommendations on a good lathe from your experinece?
Thanks in advance,
Steve Swinton

Mark Patoka
03-17-2005, 11:11 AM
Steve,

I have the Jet Mini with bed extension and had no problems turning spindles with it. The distance between centers is sufficient for "normal" length spindles. I got mine at Woodcraft on sale with the extension thrown in for free. Just have to watch different sales as I've seen both the Jet and Delta mini packaged that way at times.

Kurt Aebi
03-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Spindle length will probably dictate which lathe you choose more than the swing diameter.

I have both a mini lathe and larger lathe that are the chinese knock-off's of the Jet and Delta. My mini lathe has brand name of "HEC", but it is the same as the Red one that Penn State Industries sells. My larger lathe (longer, really) is from Harbor Freight [HF] # 34706 (I believe) and it has the variable speed (Reeve's drive) and I have not had any problems with either of these machines, but that is my experience with them.

The only thing that I would definitely recommend is that whatever youchoose, get the Variable Speed [VS] version rather than the step-pulley since it is so much easier to change speeds with the VS than constantly changing the belts. My mini is belt, step-pulley and the HF is variable speed and I have found myself using the HF lathe for pens due to the speed adjust.

Of course, if you can afford a Powermatic, One-Way, Stubby, Nova or General, they would be the top quality brands and would last for generations, but that level may not be what you need - I sure didn't.

I hope I helped, rather than muddied up the water for you.

Raymond Overman
03-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Buy the best tool you can afford.

You can turn a 3" x 36" spindle on a Jet, Delta, or Harbor Frieght MIDI with the bed extension.

You can't turn a 12" x 6" salad bowl on a Jet, Delta, or Harbor Frieght MIDI.

Think about what you're limiting yourself to in your purchase and what you'll be satisfied with. Then if you can afford it, buy the step up from that. Local woodturners clubs are a great place to start. The variety of lathes that the members have can allow you to try a few before you buy. There's also savings in good used equipment.

Ernie Nyvall
03-17-2005, 8:32 PM
Probably going to turn spindles more than bowls (I think).

I thought something similar, and bought a Grizzly G1495. Once I turned some green wood for a bowl, I didn't want to stop. The Grizzly lathes, although read that they are 14" x 40", will not turn something 14" as they come. The tool rest base isn't long enough to allow the tool rest to be more than 4.5" away from the center, which is only a 9" bowl. There is an extension, but I've broken three of them. I've heard the HF lathe has a similar problem, but not sure. It is something to look at though if you think you might do a large bowl.
One other thing is the size of the motor. Mine is supposed to be 3/4 hp but I'm not sure if it actually works out to be that. I did hear the motor drag a bit as I was gouging close to the perimeter of a 12" platter.

I'd save enough to get a good one, but you are already doing the right thing by asking around... something I didn't do.

Happy lathe hunting and then turning. Post some pictures when you get something turned.

Ernie

Michael Pfau
03-17-2005, 8:51 PM
I have the Delta 14". I was like you, just knowing I was just going to turn spindles, and a few years later I am turning bowls like crazy! The Delta 14" has the outboard, so bowls larger then 14 are not a problem. All around nice unit.