PDA

View Full Version : what kind of foam do you use when you cut the shape out and insert it in a box ...

Michael Kowalczyk
01-25-2012, 8:39 PM
I can't find any locally so far at craft or art supply stores. They only carry white and green Styrofoam and I can't remember the name of the type of foam other wise I would do a search for it.

I am looking for the kind that you can cut out the shape of your product and then insert it into a box so your product stays put and protected. Obviously it has to be laser safe and cost effective. Looking for 1/2 to 3/4" thick that can be bought in bulk.

I appreciate someone pointing my compass in the right direction :confused:.

Thanks and ...

Glen Monaghan
01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Coincidentally, I was just starting to look for the same thing and was going to ask here as well!

-Glen

greg lindsey
01-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Mike, there's a place up on 45 I think its called Scott Foam / Packaging, I'll have to do some digging, they carry any kind of foam you can imagine, including the "pelican box" foam, quantity wont be a problem with them, its been several years since I bought from them, if I remember I found them in the YP under foam, If I can locate something from them I'll let ya know. I know , not much help, but a poke in the right direction, hopefully.

Greg

Tony Joyce
01-25-2012, 10:50 PM
That would be closed cell foam.

Tony

Dan Hintz
01-26-2012, 6:49 AM
To add to Tony's reply... it's typically a polyurethane (there is also open-cell PU, but you want the closed-cell, as Tony said).

George M. Perzel
01-26-2012, 9:47 AM
Hi Mike;
I've had a lot of luck using EVA foam-similar to material used in yoga mats-dense, soft rubber-like and cuts great on the laser. Comes in various thicknesses. See Wandy-foam store on Ebay.
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

Bill Cunningham
01-26-2012, 9:09 PM
When I have to cut a hole in a foam to hold something, I just use 3/4" styrofoam 2' x 8' sheets from H.D. when you focus on the surface, by the time the vector cuts through, there is a angle to the cut which gives you a taper to press your piece down into.. I just measure the box, and have the laser cut the shape to fit the box, along with any cutouts to hold the parts

Michael Kowalczyk
01-26-2012, 9:38 PM
Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction. I found someone local that builds heavy duty rifle, laptop, and electronic equipment travel cases and got some scraps of their high density and some open cell 3/4 inch stuff to play with. Tried the 3/4 stuff first and dialed in the settings fairly quick. For me it is 100% power, 2.5% speed and 10,000 hz. The speed setting may look slow but that is really quick on the Trotec and I am able to get all the way through with a 2" lens. Very little taper at the bottom and I focused from the top with no offsets. My vac table won't hold it down on it's own, since it is open cell, but I covered some of it, the foam, for now and it worked fine.

I may also try the pink stuff you can get at the Big boxes. Only problem is all the print they put on it and not everyone wants pink for their inserts. There is a blue one available also but it is harder to find. Now if it was purple, that's another story and I would push it as a selling point or theme. I did find a site that has many colors, thicknesses and densities but the $$$$ goes up quick so my quest for an additional local supplier will continue.

Thanks again and ...

Dan Hintz
01-27-2012, 7:17 AM
Michael,

I always find pink at Home Depot and the blue at Lowes. If you're worried about the printing, I can think of two options: 1) Flip the board so the printing is inside the case, facing the bottom, or 2) use a thinner sheet and lightly glue two together, printing side towards each other.

Amy Shelton
01-27-2012, 8:58 AM
We made some gift boxes for wrenches... cut out the styrofoam with the wrench shape then we lined it with black fabric by wrapping the styrofoam, securing it on the back with hot glue. We left a little slack in it, then when the wrench was placed in it, it tightened up and looked nice. When the wrench is removed, it still has an indention of the wrench shape.