PDA

View Full Version : Veneering question

Cliff Polubinsky
01-25-2012, 8:15 PM
I'm in the process of veneering a pattern onto a 42" square of 3/4" plywood. I'm using shop sawn veneer and since I don't have a drum sander there are some small variations in thickness of the pieces. I plan to use cold press veneer glue, a 3/4" plywood platen on both sides of the substrate and bowclamp cauls.

Would it help to put a layer of wax paper and then a few layers of newspaper between the veneer and the top platen to deal with the thickness differences? I'm concerned that if I don't use something the thinner pieces won't get enough pressure.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Cliff

Mike Henderson
01-25-2012, 8:21 PM
You can use several thickness of heavy fabric protected from the project by plastic. If you have some cork sheets, that will work also.

Mike

Tony Joyce
01-25-2012, 10:53 PM
You can use the thin white packing foam, it available in rolls & sheets cheap. I have used 1/16" thick for this purpose and it worked great.

Tony

Mike Henderson
01-25-2012, 11:45 PM
You can use the thin white packing foam, it available in rolls & sheets cheap. I have used 1/16" thick for this purpose and it worked great.

Tony
That's a great idea. Thanks!

Mike

david brum
01-26-2012, 12:44 AM
That's brilliant Tony. Do you use the foam instead of the top platen? I've been trying to think of a more affordable alternative to breather mesh.

Tony Joyce
01-26-2012, 7:52 AM
Do you use the foam instead of the top platen? I've been trying to think of a more affordable alternative to breather mesh.

No and I use a poly coated kraft paper on the veneer side. I don't think it would replace breather mesh in vacuum applications.

PS: I got this tip from Alf Sharp, credit where credits due!

Tony

Richard Wolf
01-26-2012, 7:57 AM
You can use fiberglass window screen for breather mesh.

Steve Jenkins
01-26-2012, 8:07 AM
The foam is a great idea. instead of plastic I usually use freezer wrap. (White paper coated on one side). It lays nice and flat and is easy to handle.

david brum
01-26-2012, 9:56 AM
You can use fiberglass window screen for breather mesh.

Thanks, Richard!

Cliff Polubinsky
01-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Many excellent suggestions. Thanks to all.

Cliff