PDA

View Full Version : which jointer and planer?

Don Harrington
03-17-2005, 9:47 AM
Hi folks,

The last (and first time) I posted was about purchasing a bandsaw vs. a jointer vs. a planer. With your imput (thank you) I decided on a MM16 bandsaw.

Well, the inevitable has happened. I changed my mind.

I decided to buy a jointer and a planer. I'm thinking about a 6" Grizzley or Powermatic. Grizzley has a 6" anniversary edition with spiral cutter and 60" bed. Powermatic has a longer bed 66" and a great reputation. Should I be looking at others, and should I be looking at 8". Is there a huge difference between a 6 and an 8"?

Also, I could be looking at used, but am afraid I'll get someone else's headache.

I thought I would get a Dewalt portable planer.

I could use your help quickly, before my wife changes my mind.

don

Jason Tuinstra
03-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Don, I own the Jet 6" and have had no problems with it. But, if I were to replace it, I would go with the Delta DJ-20 8". Some places that I've seen have the pre-X5 models for sale at a pretty good price. The 6" is fine, but there have been more than a few times that I could have used the extra width (drawer fronts, etc). Ideally, the planer and jointer would be the same width, but that will cost you a bit more cash. Having said this, you can always use the planer as a jointer with a jig like the one FWW recently published. Of the two you have narrowed it down to, I'd go with the Powermatic. The extra bed length will really help you out.

Ray Dockrey
03-17-2005, 10:06 AM
I have a Ridgid 6" Joiner that I am very happy with and it does the job. I also got it at a great deal (Floor Model, $100.00), so I am happy with the choice I made. But if I was paying retail and was doing it over again, I would have got an 8" model. To me the 6" is limiting. Good Luck.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-17-2005, 10:24 AM
The difference between a 6 and an 8 inch jointer is a lot. I don't face joint using my 6 inch jointer, because I use boards, most of the time, that are greater than 6 inches. If you can swing the DJ20, it is a great machine, it would be the last machine you would buy for sure. I am currently shopping for a jointer as well and I am just about settled on the dj20.

The Dewalt planer is a pretty good planer as well. I currently have a 12 inch planer and I am looking to upgrade to a 15 or 20 inch in the next couple of years. If I had the Dewalt, I would probably put it off longer.

Good luck!

Jim Becker
03-17-2005, 10:51 AM
I am a firm believer in flattening stock before thickness planing, so when it comes to a jointer, wider is better. In fact, I place that characteristic almost more important than jointer length given even most of the common 6" jointers have enough length to successfully edge joint most stock that we would use in a particular project if we do some initial break-down of boards first. In fact, the best combination is a jointer that has the same width capacity as your planer...unfortunately, that often requires more investment than many folks can afford, both for separate tools and for a combo J/P from the likes of Mini Max and other Euro vendors.

So if you have the ability to go to at least an 8" jointer, do so. If you can swing the DJ-20-- great. If not, the Grizzly G0500 is a very nice machine (review by Terry Nielson on my site) for a reasonable price. Combining that with one of the nicer so-called "portable" planers makes for a very nice accommodation for the other two basic machines of the woodworking work triangle....jointer, planer and table saw. The extra length that the 8" jointer gives you is icing on the cake, IMHO...

Silas Smith
03-17-2005, 1:13 PM
Don, based on your bandsaw choice, I think you lean toward the nicer end of tools. It is good to recognize this early in your tool buying and not make the upgrade mistake that many of us make. An 8" joiner is a necessity that you never knew you needed until you have one. Go down to the lumber yard and measure how many boards fall into the 7" and 8" range and I think you might be surprised. I own a DJ-20 and, while I have many nice tools in my shop, it is the one machine that I am most happy with. FWIW, I also have the delta 13" lunchbox. It does the job and will keep me going for a while, but I know eventually I am going to buy a 15" powermatic.

Michael Perata
03-17-2005, 1:51 PM
Don - if we were able to convince you to buy a MM16 why not go with the best again and get a MM FS30 J/P? (only $4,395 ;) )

I have the equivalent hanging off my CU300S combo and it is a sweet machine.

JayStPeter
03-17-2005, 2:09 PM
Before getting "long bed" or helical head 6" jointer, I'd definitely opt for a no frills 8". IMO, just a regular old Grizzly 1018 is better than ANY 6" for the reasons mentioned above by Jim.
I don't know about your supplier, but 90% of wood I buy is somewhere between 7" and 9" wide. I rarely wind up with a <6" board. While a 12"+ jointer would be ideal, the affordable upgrade to 8" has saved me much time and waste.

Jay

Steven Wilson
03-17-2005, 3:56 PM
Get at least an 8" jointer. I had a PM60 and it is a great, classic, 8" jointer. Having said that I'm very happy that I stepped up and picked up a 14" jointer/planer combo with a Tersa cutterhead.

Tom Sontag
03-18-2005, 2:05 AM
I will stir it up a bit: old iron. Bigger is definitely better with these machines and jointer technological improvements are mainly just in the cutterhead. So why not keep an eye out for some big old ~12" jointer in need of some cosmetic care? Use the old knives until you decide you absolutely gotta have a spiral or something. For the money a new 8" costs and not a lot of effort, you could have an awesome piece of gear.

Jim B is right - I have 12" capacity in resawing, jointing and planing and it truly is the way it should be. I know you said you do not want someone's old junk, but for me that primarily applies to used entry level gear. The kind of stuff you should be looking for rarely gets used up. If you have the space and patience, upgrading a piece of old iron would be a very satisfying and budget friendly way to go.

Don Harrington
03-18-2005, 5:45 PM
Wow, you guys are great. thanks so much.

Tom, you did stir it up a bit. I will look around to see whats out there. But, did I mention that I live on an island? Logistics and lots of cash to get it here.

Michael, have you always been a trouble maker?

Alright, 8" or bigger it is. The search continues, stay tuned.

don