PDA

View Full Version : Got a new band saw

Joe Hillmann
01-25-2012, 6:06 PM
I just got a new(to me)band saw. A little table top machine that takes 59 1/4 blades. I want to try making bandsaw boxes out of 3 in lumber with it. Can anyone suggest what type of blades I should be look at? I am thinking a 1/4 or 1/8 inch blade and very few tpi. The blade I have in it now looks like it is 3/8 with 6 tpi and it wanders all over and I can't cut curves very well but I think that is because it was over heated and lost it's set. I have very little experience with bandsaws so I don't really know where to begin when looking for new blades.

Paul McGaha
01-25-2012, 6:57 PM
Congratulations Joe, Please post a picture of it when you can.

Some of our guys know a lot about band saws and hopefully they can help you.

PHM

dennis thompson
01-25-2012, 7:44 PM
You might want to call Suffolk Machinery (800-234-7297). When I got my bandsaw & knew nothing about what blade to use, I called & they were very helpful
Dennis

John McClanahan
01-25-2012, 9:41 PM
If it is a 3 wheel band saw, you may not be able to prevent wandering while cutting thick wood. What is the horse power rating of the motor?

John

Van Huskey
01-25-2012, 11:18 PM
You may want to consider getting a bi-metal blade, it will save money in the long run. I would go to Spectrum Supply and get a Lenox Diemaster 1/4" .025 gauge 6TPI hook band. Will cost about $25 and outlast a carbon blade by a LOT and Swedish High Silicon steel like the Timberwolf blades by even more.

Joe Hillmann
01-26-2012, 9:37 AM
What is a 3 wheel band saw? It is just a little table top machine, I think they can be bought new for under $120 so it is pretty low end but for $20 I couldn't pass on it, It looks like brand new except for the blade.

Van Huskey
01-26-2012, 9:48 AM
What is a 3 wheel band saw? It is just a little table top machine, I think they can be bought new for under $120 so it is pretty low end but for $20 I couldn't pass on it, It looks like brand new except for the blade.

A three wheeled bandsaw has 3 wheels instead of two for the blade to ride on. It gives increased throat depth without requiring large wheels. Benchtop 3 wheelers except for the Inca are notoriously fussy. FYI on the other end of the scale there are some huge industrial 3 wheelsr with bands 40-50 feet long!

Joe Hillmann
01-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Ok, then this is just a two wheel with wheels maybe 10 or 12 inches it is a pro-tech brand and I am trying to find a manual for it so I know how to set it up correctly (blade guides, and blade tension are mostly what I need to figure out)

Jerome Hanby
01-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Blade guides will take some research, but you can set the tension using the flutter method. I think Suffolk (the Timberwolf folks) has the procedure on their website.

Joe Hillmann
01-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Also do you release the tension on the blade when the saw isn't in use? The only band saw I have experience with is a sawmill and we would always release the tension when we were done cutting for the day or if the saw was going to be down for more than a couple hours.

Bill White
01-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Google setting band saw blade tension. There's a bunch of stuff out there. A good 1/4" blade should do what ya want once the saw is set up properly.
Bill

John McClanahan
01-26-2012, 7:24 PM
For $20 you got a good deal, but I don't think it is big enough for what you are asking of it.

John