PDA

View Full Version : LN Block Planes

Jim Young
03-17-2005, 7:54 AM
As I get more into this tail less society I see more things that I don't quite understand.

Right now I own the LN low angle adjustable mouth block plane. I grab it quite a lot for odds and ends, mostly end grain work.

There are lots of posts on the "other" LN block planes. I see these are a little smaller without the adjustable mouth. Would I find an equal amount of usage with these smaller ones? I wouldn't want to buy these if there really isn't an advantage. If you have and use both I would like to hear what one has over the other.

Terry Hatfield
03-17-2005, 8:37 AM
JIm,

I bought the LN rabbeting block plane 60 1/2R at the KC show. I haven't had a chance to use it much but I think it will be a super plane for fitting rabets,tenons and the like. I have the LV LA block to go with it.

t

Jim Becker
03-17-2005, 9:23 AM
Jim, I have the same LN that you have and use it a lot. About the only thing I would occasionally like is the ablity to cut right to the edge so Terry's example is something that remains on "my list" to meet that need.

Derek Cohen
03-17-2005, 9:33 AM
Jim

My two main block planes are a Stanley #65 knuckle joint with Hock blade, and the bronze LN #102. The #65 is a largish block plane and it is second-to-none in its ability to slice end grain. The little #102 really comes into its own when I need to trim a narrow or small area. Even though the mouth is fixed (and wide in comparison to the adjustable #65), it is capable of very fine shavings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Sade
03-17-2005, 9:34 AM
I recently picked up a used LN 102 in excellent shape and find that it's the LABP I reach for first. What a sweetie! (I have LV adjustable mouth and the LN 60½ as well.) Tony

Mark Singer
03-17-2005, 9:40 AM
I have the LN 60 1/2 and the 102 which is a lot smaller. The 102 is a very handy guy to have around. I seem to use it often.

Michael Gabbay
03-17-2005, 9:59 AM
Jim - I have the LN 60 1/2R. It is a great plane. As Terry mentioned, it is used alot to clean up tennons and rabbets. Since it is my only good block plane it gets a lot of use. IMHO I think it is the best LN buy going.

Mike

Jim Young
03-17-2005, 1:42 PM
Alright, that settles it, I'm going to buy the 102. Seems noone has or uses the 103, non low angle version of the 102.

My next shop project is to build a home for all these tailless tools.

Thanks for the help.

Tyler Howell
03-17-2005, 1:43 PM
I have the LN 102 and really like it:cool: . Had no idea a block could work so well

Roy Wall
03-17-2005, 2:25 PM
As I get more into this tail less society I see more things that I don't quite understand.

Right now I own the LN low angle adjustable mouth block plane. I grab it quite a lot for odds and ends, mostly end grain work.

There are lots of posts on the "other" LN block planes. I see these are a little smaller without the adjustable mouth. Would I find an equal amount of usage with these smaller ones? I wouldn't want to buy these if there really isn't an advantage. If you have and use both I would like to hear what one has over the other.
I'd say the main advantage of the 102 is it's more of a "apron pocket plane".....so out of convienience, you may use it more often. To be honest, the 60.5 la is a great plane & highly capable of most detail work. I guess it comes down to those small, highly detailed "fittings & trimming" when you might really need the hand control of the 102...

IMHO, the feel of the 102 is better than the 60.5.........they both are excellent block planes.

Ed Hardin
03-17-2005, 3:23 PM
I own the 102. You're gonna be crazy about it. Mine gives really thin gossimer shavings that has you planning away just for the joy of it. The problem is that one must guard aginst getting carried away and forgetting why you picked it up in the first place.

Aaron Heck
03-18-2005, 7:41 PM
Well, I'll be the first to chime in and say I own the 103. I bought the 60 1/2 last year and really like it. I wanted something in brass, and figured since I have the LN LA block and a Stanley 65, I might as well get the high-angle 103. I just got it last weekend at the Orlando show, so I haven't had a chance to use it yet, however.

Aaron

John Weber
03-18-2005, 7:49 PM
Jim,

I have the 103, it is a super little plane, I've not found lacking a 102 or a 60-1/2 but I still would like to add one or both.

The little bronze planes just feel great in the hand and are super to use.

John

Derek Cohen
03-18-2005, 8:16 PM
John and Aaron

In regard to your #103 .....

and all others with a standard angle block plane, such as a Stanlet #18 or #9-1/2 ....

.... get an extra blade and grind it to 35 - 40 degrees. On the adjustable mouth planes, set the mouth as tight as you can. Then try it out on the gnarliest sections of interlinked timber you can find.

I bet you will struggle to beat the performance of this (new-old) plane with your best smoothers!

I use a Stanley #18 this way as a HA mini-smoother. In standard form it languished on the shelf since I would rather use a #65 for serious end grain work, #102 whenever I needed to trim, and a #140 for tenon cheeks. Now the #18 is a reach-for block plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ron McNeil
03-20-2005, 8:55 AM
I have never used a real hand plane in my life. I've used a couple of cheap ones to shave off the tops of doors when they stick and thats about it. However, I've always wanted to buy a couple of good ones and learn how to use them. After reading this thread and several others on the Neanderthal Haven Forum I have made my first purchase of a real Hand Plane, The L/N 102 Block Plane. My next purchase will probably be the #5 Jack Plane. Thanks for the knowledge thats posted on Saw Mill Creek.

Tyler Howell
03-20-2005, 12:38 PM
Welcome Ron to the Tool Snob Club:D . You're in for a real treat.[QUOTE=Ron The L/N 102 Block Plane. My next purchase will probably be the #5 Jack Plane.