View Full Version : Opinion of MLCS router bit set

Steve Rayboy
04-25-2003, 4:38 PM
Hi,
I couldn't help myself...I ordered the 30 router bit set (1/2" shank) from MLCS for $99 (no tax, free shipping).
I probably won't use them all, some i'll only use occasionally, and the rest will see plenty of use.
I figure that if I have them, I'm more apt to use my routers. At $3.33 per bit, it was too good a deal.

Has anyone bought this set? quality? opinions?

Hal Flynt
04-25-2003, 5:23 PM
I bought a combination rail and style bit from them about 6 years ago along with a vertical raised panel bit. I've made approximately 20 -25 Raised panel doors so far. No real problems with the raised panel bit at all, and the only problem with the rail and style combo is you cut the rails face down and copes face up which makes thickness critical.

Next time, I will buy a separate rail and style set. And you can't do tombstone doors with the vertical bit.

I buy Jasada primarily now and like them, but I think the MLCS is a good buy generally.

I do like their bit extension quiet well.

David Klug
04-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Hey Steve, where did you find that deal? It sounds pretty good to me.

Dave

Steve Rayboy
04-26-2003, 6:30 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Klug
Hey Steve, where did you find that deal? It sounds pretty good to me.

Dave,
I saw an ad in Wood mag. they have an 800 number, or you can go to their website...

http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/set30pc.html

Steve (not affiliated with MLCS)

Bill Esposito
04-26-2003, 8:04 AM
Steve,

I bought the 15pc set a year ago and with the exception of the 1/4" straight bit, I'm happy with them all. But then lets see, $40/15=$2.66 each....hard to be unhappy:)

The 1/4" broke on me twice, both times the new bit was here in a week. I think they had a run of bad 1/4" bits because a number of people experienced the same thing at around the same time. I havent had any problem with the 3rd bit since.

I'd buy them again. I am also going to try Woodline.

Dan McGuire
04-26-2003, 8:44 AM
Steve,

I just recieved my MCLS catalog yesterday in the mail, I saw the deal you are talking about on front cover and was tempted. I have purchased from them in the past, I like there Katana line. My most recent purchase was a 1/4" rabbeting set. I am fairly happy with that set.

Dan

Steve Rayboy
04-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Thanks guys. I know that I can't go wrong for that price. I'll post a review in a couple of weeks, after I have time to try them out.

Steve

Kent Cori
04-28-2003, 9:25 AM
I too bought the 15 piece set about a year ago and have been very satisfied. I've now used about ten of the bits at one time or another. I've since purchased several more bits from them so you can guess that I am happy with the price, free and fast shipping and quality.:)