PDA

View Full Version : Rocklar missed this gem

Bob Bergstrom
01-25-2012, 1:33 PM
I was looking trough the Rocklar fiddled maple pile when I came across this piece of quilted maple. After I paid all of $11.50 for it I showed it to the clerk. When he recognized what it was, he had a look of "why didn't I see that when I was putting out the pieces". I am sure it would have been set aside. Smiling I took it home and turned it.Gave it a dark green coat of Transtint in alcohol. After sanding it back quite a bit, I used straight Transtint Red in alcohol on it. Two coats of lacquer and some Ren-Wax. It was very easy to turn with only a small amount of tear out. Beading was done with a pointed 3/8" spindle gouge. It measures about 7" across and 2 1/2" deep.

John Keeton
01-25-2012, 1:37 PM
Bob, how did you sleep at night knowing you stole that piece!!!;) Beautiful! I love the dye combo. The green and red produced some nice undertones for the final application of red. Great work!

Bob Bergstrom
01-25-2012, 1:52 PM
Bob, how did you sleep at night knowing you stole that piece!!!;) Beautiful! I love the dye combo. The green and red produced some nice undertones for the final application of red. Great work!
Thanks John. Again, you led by giving so much to the creek. I just was following the things you did and shared with us.

charlie knighton
01-25-2012, 2:51 PM
very nice, Bob....thanks for sharing

Dan Forman
01-25-2012, 3:43 PM
It's a beauty, very effective dye job.

Dan

Peter Blair
01-25-2012, 3:50 PM
Love it! What a steal and the color . . . . I'm just beginning to try some dyes and every time I see such a beautiful piece I realize just how far I still need to go.

Thanks for sharing.

Rick Markham
01-25-2012, 4:00 PM
Nice bowl Bob! Excellent job on the craftsmanship, and beautiful use of color theory :) I love the beading just under the rim on the inside of the bowl. I like the base as well! All of the elements work perfectly together, form, color, embellishments... and price :D

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2012, 5:00 PM
Man - that is nice! Love the way the color made the curl pop! Nice work Bob!

Rich Aldrich
01-25-2012, 5:04 PM
Beautiful piece of wood. I really like bowl, especially the rim shape.

Bob Bergstrom
01-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.i have learned a lot of helpful techniques and hints from this form. It doesn't show well in the photo but there is a very subtle ogee shape on the outside. The upper curve may be about 1/8 th inch.

Baxter Smith
01-25-2012, 10:29 PM
That is a wild looking bowl Bob! The color is Cool with a capitol C!

Michelle Rich
01-26-2012, 8:03 AM
striking color!

Raymond James
01-26-2012, 9:49 AM
Beautiful piece of work! and getting it for that price is fantastic, wish I could find some deals like this one.

Bean

Bill White
01-26-2012, 2:21 PM
Never would have thought about usin' green first. I wish we had more posts about coloring options. HUH??? When ya gonna do that?
Great results.
Bill