PDA

View Full Version : No 50 - Bitternut Potpourri Vessel

James Combs
01-25-2012, 11:54 AM
This is the last of the potpourri vessels and also my last OP today, as soon as it is posted I will quit hogging the band width and virtual space.:D
This one is from a piece of Bitternut that I traded John K. out of(BTW I got the better deal;)) I think this is the best looking Pot' of the four.;)

Stats:
Material = Bitternut Hickory
Height = 4.0
Diameter = 3-7/8
Finish = 3 Coats of Satin WOP(no buffing)
Lid = Pewter(Daises)

C&C appreciated. Now I will go do some surfing of my own:D.

Robert McGowen
01-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Nice little popourri holder, James. The shape is nice and I really like the way that the lid is inset into the top.

As you asked for C&C, I would have turned out the hole in the inside bottom, which I guess is from a forstner bit. A sharp scraper will smooth that right out.

David E Keller
01-25-2012, 12:43 PM
Pretty form! When you fill it with potpourri, that little area in the bottom will disappear!

Bill Bolen
01-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Gorgeous little vessel James. Is the Bitternut as in Bitternut Hickory?

Kevin Lucas
01-25-2012, 1:03 PM
I really like the curves in that shape.

John Keeton
01-25-2012, 1:12 PM
JD, I agree fully - this style is the better! And, no, you did not get the better end of the deal! I still have some beautiful walnut burl that is waiting on inspiration!

James Combs
01-26-2012, 6:41 PM
Nice little popourri holder, James. The shape is nice and I really like the way that the lid is inset into the top.
As you asked for C&C, I would have turned out the hole in the inside bottom, which I guess is from a forstner bit. A sharp scraper will smooth that right out.
Thanks Robert, you guessed right on the Forstner bit. I made my initial plunge with a 3" bit then use my Mini Monster to match the insides to the outside shape. I didn't put it in the original post but the wall thickness is a reasonably even 1/8". As for the little center hole in the bottom I went a little deeper with the bit then I had planned and was concerned about the bottom thickness if I tried to turn it out.:o

Pretty form! When you fill it with potpourri, that little area in the bottom will disappear!
Thanks David, That thought also crossed my mind when I was contemplating dressing out the little bottom hole.:D

I really like the curves in that shape.
Thanks Kevin, as noted it is my favorite of the 4.

JD, I agree fully - this style is the better! And, no, you did not get the better end of the deal! I still have some beautiful walnut burl that is waiting on inspiration!
Thanks John, as to who got the better of the deal, I will claim the title until such time as your inspiration decides to strike.;):D