PDA

View Full Version : No 48 - Honey Locust Potpourri

James Combs
01-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Yeah your right, I have gotten a little behind in my postings.:rolleyes:
This one is another potpourri, No 3 of 4. This time it is Honey Locust in a somewhat SW styling. A note here. The HL was fairly wet having come from a log that was cut just this past fall. However, it has done very little movement and no cracking "yet", it has been turned for 3-4 weeks now.

Stats:
Material = Fresh Honey Locust
Height = 2.25
Diameter = 4-7/8
Finish = 2 Coats of WOP(no buffing)
Lid = Pewter(Basket of Flowers)

I was not real happy with the pewter lid on this one. I had tried it on a couple different vessels but could not get it to look right. In a recess it shows to much random wood around it's perimeter. The leaves and flowers on the circumference do not make a circle. There are three posts on the underside so I tried this one with the opening the size of the OD of the posts, still not impressed.

I actually think the vessel it's self looks great without the pewter:). What do you folks think?

C&C appreciated.

mike ash
01-25-2012, 11:37 AM
James - this is another sweet one!!! I think it's my favorite of the ones you've posted recently. Keep up the great work.

Bill Bolen
01-25-2012, 12:51 PM
Man you are on fire here James. Another excellent piece. Don't worry about the bandwidth...love seeing your work!

Steve Vaughan
01-25-2012, 12:58 PM
That honey locust is a really nice looking wood. I've got a bunch of roughed out bowls ready for turning and a couple already complete. I found it to be a really stable wood too. Not one lost piece for me. You did a great job with these, nice forms and beautiful wood!

John Keeton
01-25-2012, 1:13 PM
Very nice, but the bitternut hickory is my favorite, and the old cherry next.

Allan Ferguson
01-25-2012, 2:06 PM
My thought is that the pewter lid is over kill. Perhaps a wood lid with carved holes would work for you.. I like it open. Nice wood.

James Combs
01-26-2012, 7:06 PM
James - this is another sweet one!!! I think it's my favorite of the ones you've posted recently. Keep up the great work.
Thanks Mike, I like this one too. The wood is from a local friends farm. Back in June of last year some of our local club members got together and took down a small Honey Locust (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167685-An-Unexpected-Creeker-Visit&highlight=) for my local friend. This is from a small piece that I got from the project.

Man you are on fire here James. Another excellent piece. Don't worry about the bandwidth...love seeing your work!
Thanks Bill, the postings wouldn't have been so bunched up but I had some trouble getting on SMC when I was ready to start posting and SMC was down in our neck of the woods for about 5-6 hours, no one seems to know why.

That honey locust is a really nice looking wood. I've got a bunch of roughed out bowls ready for turning and a couple already complete. I found it to be a really stable wood too. Not one lost piece for me. You did a great job with these, nice forms and beautiful wood!
Thanks Steve, this actually my first turning in Honey Locust. It is still plenty wet, my moisture meter indicates over 20% but it still seems stable and dries pretty good while turning it. This particular piece is now about 3 weeks since finishing and it is still in good shape. It moved just a little the first day before finishing and I had to re-turn the opening slightly but nothing serious.

Very nice, but the bitternut hickory is my favorite, and the old cherry next.
Thanks again John. I like this one a lot myself and as far as I can remember it is not styled after any other turnings I have seen but my memory is...well, it is what it is.

My thought is that the pewter lid is over kill. Perhaps a wood lid with carved holes would work for you.. I like it open. Nice wood.
Thanks Allan, I kind of agree with you but I had trouble with that particular pewter lid so I am going to leave well enough alone. However I have plans to turn a similar but larger shape out the same wood and it will be lidless and more of a HF.

Roger Chandler
01-26-2012, 7:45 PM
Pretty wood JD! Nice form..........your photography on this is really nice also..........your photo skills are pretty sharp now-a-days!

Michelle Rich
01-26-2012, 8:02 PM
that pewter lid looks sharp enough to take skin! i like it without the lid

Baxter Smith
01-26-2012, 10:08 PM
Very pretty wood James. Looks great on its own!

Don Alexander
01-26-2012, 10:18 PM
i like it alot especially sans lid well done James

Thomas Heck
01-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Nice job on that bowl. I'm not sure, but think I got a piece of downed locust on the old coal mine road back in the fall. I'm not sure what type of locust though. I haven't tried to turn it yet.