PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here in the Nashville area?

linke combs
01-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Just curious if anyone on this forum is in the Nashville, TN area? I am fairly new to working mainly with hand tools and a local resource would be great. Not that you guys are not great and very helpful, but if a picture is worth thousand words, then a live demo must be worth hours of frustration...right?

Thanks in advance,

Linke

Bob Jones
01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
I live close to Memphis. Im basically an intermediate.

Jerome Hanby
01-25-2012, 11:41 AM
I'm in Birmingham, but unless you need help making mistakes, I'm not sure how much use I'd be. My most often used hand tool is the push broom I use to clean up after my table saw and router table.

Steve Stack
01-25-2012, 3:57 PM
Linke, I live in the woods in Cheatham Co, right next to Nashville. Your name sounds familiar, did I meet you at the Rob Cosman class last year in Franklin? I don't post so much here as I am relatively new to hand tools and don't know the right question yet much less the answer, but I read here daily and have picked up a bit. If I can help with anything, give me a hollar,
Steve

linke combs
01-25-2012, 6:36 PM
Steve,

We may have. I did an all day Saturday class with Rob last year at the Woodcraft in Franklin. As a matter of fact, I am taking the two day intensive dovetail class there in March. Hopefully, they will get enough people signed up this time to hold the class. I am deep in the learning curve myself and was just curious as to who was nearby.

Linke

David Posey
01-25-2012, 6:43 PM
I live in Jackson, TN but I'm in Nashville four nights a week because of work. I've only been working with hand tools about a year myself, but I've learned a lot in that time and amassed a pretty fair collection mostly of old user tools. I would be glad to help in whatever way I can, and my wife would be glad for me to have another target for tool demonstrations and general random tidbits of woodworking knowledge.

Steve Stack
01-25-2012, 7:59 PM
Linke;

Yeah, I was the Steve who told Cosman that a chisel had to be "sharper than crap" to pare pine. Wish I had the time and money to do the two day class but I spent my money on saws and have been practicing since then. I have accumulated a few toys so if you'd like to try something out let me know. Do you ever go to the flea mkt in Nashville, I've picked up several planes, chisels, and assorted stuff there, won't get good til around March but worth a look. I know you'll enjoy your class and I'm jealous!
Steve

Jerome Hanby
01-25-2012, 8:14 PM
Can you give us details on that flea market? Sounds like a good road trip...and my wife says I never take her any place <g>

Linke;

Yeah, I was the Steve who told Cosman that a chisel had to be "sharper than crap" to pare pine. Wish I had the time and money to do the two day class but I spent my money on saws and have been practicing since then. I have accumulated a few toys so if you'd like to try something out let me know. Do you ever go to the flea mkt in Nashville, I've picked up several planes, chisels, and assorted stuff there, won't get good til around March but worth a look. I know you'll enjoy your class and I'm jealous!
Steve

Steve Stack
01-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Jerome,

They have a big flea mkt every 4th weekend at the fairgrounds, usually 4-5 tool dealers and every other thing you can think of. The wife and I go about every month. In Dec, none of the regular tool dealers were there but they should be back by March. I've got several planes, none over $30, chisels, sawvises, lots of bits and pieces. Not as good as in the past but I always wind up with something. One guy has about 1/2 doz old tool chests and loads of old wooden planes. Well worth a look if you're in the area.
Steve

Jerome Hanby
01-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks Steve, sure sounds like a fun road trip. We have something similar here at the old Alabama State fair grounds in Birmingham. I've never been, but I'll try to make the next one and report back if there is anything worth seeing.

linke combs
01-26-2012, 1:33 PM
Steve,

No, I have not been to the flea market in quite a while and when I did go I do not recall there being any tool dealers. I doubt I would have skipped them. Have you ever been to the Crossville flea market to know if they have any old tool dealers?

It looks like you are in Ashland City. I live in West Meade, so we are not that far apart. I still have some power tools, but am slowly accumulating hand tools. I believe I have the planes covered at this point. I am currently building a Holtzappfel workbench in my garage. It is definitely more challenging to build a workbench without a workbench. I am using SYP for the bench and ripping 2x12's down was more of hand tool task than I was immediately ready for. My power tools are almost all vintage items...so I ripped the boards down with an 8" Craftsman table saw from the 1930's. Tiny little thing, but it has permanently sealed bearings and is solid cast iron. I am crosscutting by hand and will do my joinery and final surface planing by hand as well. I guess right now I am still using power tools to do the "heavy lifting." I just cannot ever see giving up the drill press though.