PDA

View Full Version : No 47 - Firewood Cherry Potpourri

James Combs
01-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Another turning from the "Firewood Cherry" series.:D This time another potpourri vessel. Styled in the SW styling.

Stats:
Material = Firewood Cherry
Height = 2.75
Diameter = 5.5
Finish = 2 Coats of WOP(no buffing)
Lid = Pewter(Roses - the LOML wanted Humming birds in her's so I had to switch and reuse the roses here :))

As always C&C appreciated.

Roger Chandler
01-25-2012, 11:16 AM
That is pretty, James...........good form on it..........any issues with cracking? Cherry is notorious for cracking......at least that is what I have experienced. Sometimes one has to cut smaller pieces from a cracked piece, and then make something other than a large bowl.............

That is too pretty to have been burned.........glad you rescued it!

James Combs
01-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Thanks Roger, I haven't had any cracking issues with it as yet, have had to "turn" off some previously cracked sections but the wood seems pretty stable. It came from a standing dead cherry tree that had most of the bark already gone from the trunk so it is actually fairly dry to start with.

That is pretty, James...........good form on it..........any issues with cracking? Cherry is notorious for cracking......at least that is what I have experienced. Sometimes one has to cut smaller pieces from a cracked piece, and then make something other than a large bowl.............

That is too pretty to have been burned.........glad you rescued it!

Bill Bolen
01-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Love it James and those little pitch pockets sure help to add a bit of interest to a fairly straight grained piece of Cherry. Gotta love Cherry!

James Combs
01-26-2012, 6:30 PM
Love it James and those little pitch pockets sure help to add a bit of interest to a fairly straight grained piece of Cherry. Gotta love Cherry!

Thanks Bill, next to the Bitternut Hickory one(#50) this one was a favorite of mine. One of my sisters was down visiting when I had finished this one and now I don't have it anymore, she just had to have it so... lol

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2012, 6:56 PM
Beautiful work James! Your sister taking it... well, that just says it all! Nice work!!

John Keeton
01-26-2012, 8:35 PM
Another good one, JD. How are you going to have fodder for "show and tell" at the club meeting if you keep giving them away????

Baxter Smith
01-26-2012, 9:36 PM
Pretty cherry James! I sometimes wonder how much great wood I have burned in the past.

Don Alexander
01-26-2012, 10:26 PM
another really nice piece James keep it rolling hehe