PDA

View Full Version : No 45 - Old Cherry Potpourri w/Roses

James Combs
01-25-2012, 10:22 AM
I recently turned 4 potpourri vessels, this is the first. This one is very old, very dry cherry timber(from a piece of about 7x7x36). Style is from a lidded box I saw here on the creek. Could not find it again to give credit for the inspiration. If you recognize the shape chime in here for credit.

Stats:
Material = Old Dry Cherry
Height = 3.5
Diameter = 5.25
Finish = BLO then 2 Coats of WOP(no buffing)
Lid = Pewter(Roses)

The LOML claimed this one.

C&C appreciated

John Keeton
01-25-2012, 10:38 AM
I like this one, JD!! Seems I have seen similar forms before, but do not recall specifically. In any event, well done. The cherry really is rich looking.

David E Keller
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
That's beautiful! Richard Raffan does a box similar to this as does Mike Stafford. Like JK, I don't recall seeing one that size.... Seems to translate very well to that size!

James Combs
01-26-2012, 6:26 PM
I like this one, JD!! Seems I have seen similar forms before, but do not recall specifically. In any event, well done. The cherry really is rich looking.
Thanks John, I will be writing down where I find ideas in the future so I can remember who to thank and give credit to.:o The cherry is so old that I am hoping the color will stay pretty much as is. The outside surfaces of the original 7" square post are pretty much the same color excluding the change in color due to the finish.

That's beautiful! Richard Raffan does a box similar to this as does Mike Stafford. Like JK, I don't recall seeing one that size.... Seems to translate very well to that size!

Thanks David, from what I could tell from the original picture that inspired this one the box opened at the top edge of the center bead. Maybe that will help ID the original.

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2012, 6:53 PM
James - had to wade through a number of your numbered posts to know where to start!!! Nice form on this but I have no idea who to give credit to. Love the wood! Great color!