View Full Version : First carved Platters

Larry Pickering
01-25-2012, 10:12 AM
20 inch BLM . Redfish carved and burned. background textured with a Harbor Fright air descaler, and dyed black with india ink, the center was dyed and sanded back. Finished with O.B.'s shine juice.

15 inch splated Hackberry. Butterflies carved and burned. painted with india ink and Golden air rush colors. Background texured with a dental burr in my NSK detailer. center dyed black, sanded back then dyed with Golden color and wiped off, while still wet. finished with OB's shine juice.

C/C welcome

Larry Pickering

David E Keller
01-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Nice work, Larry! I'm stuck looking at these on my iPhone, so I'll have to wait until I get real computer access to appreciate the details. Beautiful wood and the carving and coloring look great!

Not sure if you saw on your WoW post in the news, but I'll be picking over Mike Smith's stuff this weekend... I'd there anything you want me to leave for you ?

John Keeton
01-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Exceptionally nice work, Larry, on some very nice wood. I particularly like the BLM piece.

David, Mike had some very nice spalted hackberry pieces when he left here, so I suspect they will be at the TN event.

David DeCristoforo
01-25-2012, 12:29 PM
The "fish" platter is awesome. The butterfly piece is nice but the other one is orders of magnitude above. Also, I would love to know how you did the soda can....

Bill Bolen
01-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Beautiful pieces both Larry! My but you LA. guys do like your shine juice.

Dan Forman
01-25-2012, 1:19 PM
The carving, burning, and decorating is very well done, especially like the fish. That said, I don't understand why you chose two highly figured pieces of wood for your backgrounds, as they nearly overpower the handwork, especially in the butterfly piece. Personally, I would let the figured wood speak for itself, and choose plainer stuff for a "canvas", where the handwork can really stand out.

Dan

Allan Ferguson
01-25-2012, 2:00 PM
Agreed with Dan.

Larry Pickering
01-25-2012, 2:10 PM
The carving, burning, and decorating is very well done, especially like the fish. That said, I don't understand why you chose two highly figured pieces of wood for your backgrounds, as they nearly overpower the handwork, especially in the butterfly piece. Personally, I would let the figured wood speak for itself, and choose plainer stuff for a "canvas", where the handwork can really stand out.

Dan

Agree, just part of the learning curve. besides it's something I've been wanting to do. I knew the BLM was going to have some nice figure, the hackberry surprised me. Told Mike to send some plain wood on next order.

David, save me the plain wood.

Larry Pickering
01-25-2012, 2:16 PM
The "fish" platter is awesome. The butterfly piece is nice but the other one is orders of magnitude above. Also, I would love to know how you did the soda can....

First you turn a cylinder............

charlie knighton
01-25-2012, 2:48 PM
very nice, i like redfish

Peter Blair
01-25-2012, 3:53 PM
Wow! These are great!

Baxter Smith
01-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Great work on both of these! Impressive work!

Kathy Marshall
01-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Very nice work on both! The texturing and carving are great!

Cheryl A. Prince
01-26-2012, 5:39 AM
Larry, those are beautiful plates. I've never tried using my Harbor Freight Air Descaler. Can you use control it in those tight, small spaces around the fish or did you texture first and then carve the fish?

Michelle Rich
01-26-2012, 7:50 AM
wow! both are just super..you did a great job on those

Larry Pickering
01-26-2012, 8:37 AM
Larry, those are beautiful plates. I've never tried using my Harbor Freight Air Descaler. Can you use control it in those tight, small spaces around the fish or did you texture first and then carve the fish?

Cheryl, I outlined with my Proxxon carver, with a v-gouge. The descaler I modified buy cutting off some off the "needles" leaving four, then I sharpened them to a point, and hold them together, as I stipple. Then I use one of the cut off needles to get into the tight spaces, When I first tried the descaler, it did not leave a good pattern, it was clunky and hard to control, careful off the cut off barbs, they bite! Too answer your question, I carve, then texture

Harvey Ghesser
01-26-2012, 9:22 AM
Wish I could carve like that...