PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1023z arbor replacement, do I need to remove the top and bracket?

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
01-25-2012, 9:14 AM
I will be replacing my arbor, bearings, and pulley on my 1023z soon and dread having to take the saw apart to remove the bracket. Has anyone had success with simply replacing these items while mounted in the saw?

Thx

Steve Griffin
01-25-2012, 9:25 AM
that's how I did it a couple weeks ago on 1023S. I didn't remove the bracket.

Use blade height and tilt to improve access. It's still awkward and tight work, but seemed better than trying to remove stuff or take apart the saw.

Once you push the arbor out, insert a block of wood and use a mallet to remove old bearing. One new bearing gets put on the new arbor shaft, the other tapped in with a block of wood. Be gentle with the new bearings.

Just start working on it, and you will know what you need to do.

Bruno Frontera dela Cruz
01-25-2012, 9:30 AM
How tight did you put the locknut? Seems tricky since you can't feel where the bottom is with the nylon providing resistance?

Steve Griffin
01-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Just nice and snug seemed like a good idea, but I'm no expert.

Curt Harms
01-26-2012, 8:08 AM
Taking the top off is not a huge undertaking, just pay attention to any shims between the cabinet & top. Make sure the same shims go back in the same place when you replace the top. I have no idea what's involved in replacing an arbor.

Bruce Wrenn
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Taking the top off is not a huge undertaking, just pay attention to any shims between the cabinet & top. Make sure the same shims go back in the same place when you replace the top. I have no idea what's involved in replacing an arbor.Before removing top, take a set of measurements with a dial indicator from left miter sklot to blade. If you don't put top back EXACTLY where it was, sleds and panel cutters no longer fit.