PDA

View Full Version : Jaminson Deep Hollowing Rig

kevin nee
01-25-2012, 8:17 AM
I just bought a used ONEWAY 1640 lathe that came with the Jaiminson Deep Hollowing Rig.
How much room will I need behind the headstock and the wall. What is the opinion on this system?
Thanks in advance, Kevin

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2012, 8:46 AM
I have a Jamieson and it works well.

Each of the major hollowing systems have their own pros and cons.

thomas prusak
01-25-2012, 10:11 AM
I'm not at my shop but I would estimate needing 16" max.

John Spitters
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Just as important as space behind the lathe, is the space needed away from a side wall. If I was to measure the way mine is set up I would guess that the bed of the lathe needs to be apx. 3' away from the side wall.

John

BILL DONAHUE
01-25-2012, 5:48 PM
Not familar with the lathe but the hollowing system is excellent. I've tried several, including Elbow, Monster, some homemade ones and I like it better than any others. It's simple, smooth and goes deep. The video that comes with it is crucial since most of the problems with hollowing usually come from not having the system, on any one of them, set up right.

Bill Wyko
01-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about the Oneway. It would be a consideration for me but I need a sliding head stock. I'm curious to hear how you like th hollowing system. Please give us a review of both. Thanks.

Rich Aldrich
01-26-2012, 8:24 PM
I would leave enough room to clean between the lathe and the wall which should be more room than you need for the hollowing system. I dont have enough room, but that might change soon if I move my tablesaw.

Jack Mincey
01-27-2012, 6:25 AM
Kevin,
Can't help you with the Jameson, but I do own and love a 1640. It is a great lathe and has done any thing that I have asked it to do without a problem now for several years. If you don't have it I do recommend the out board bed to turn bowls from. For this reason I have the headstock end angled out from the wall enough to work from the back side of this end when doing bowls. This makes it into a 24" short bed lathe with a 24" swing.
Jack