PDA

View Full Version : marking ink

Jim Reinhard
01-25-2012, 6:33 AM
I just found this on ebay.Seems to be a relitivly new product.Has anyone tryed it and know if it works .They have videos on youtube .

Dan Hintz
01-25-2012, 6:46 AM
Nope, never seen it. In fact, I can't see it now...

Duane Parcells
01-25-2012, 6:53 AM
Hi Jim
You forgot to post the link but I'm assuming you mean this
ebaydotcom/itm/Alternative-Cermark-Thermark-Laser-marking-ink-4oz-CO2-engraver-Black-/300654012624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46006028d0

from this company
http://www.colorlaserproductions.com/

I would be a little suspicious because of the lack of quality examples shown and lack of information on their website. Also, I would wonder how long before Cermark takes a look at the formulation and cries foul. Their patent doesn't just cover "formulation" but also process.

Duane

Jim Reinhard
01-25-2012, 8:18 AM
Guess Duane is a better mind rea
der than dan.That is the ink I was referring to.They have a sample of 8 different
Ones .I may give it a try.

Frank Corker
01-25-2012, 8:51 AM
Well it's one of those things where you hear and the examples look pretty good, but I too would like to see the thing for myself. I looked at all of their 8 videos and they have paint that you mix from powder for acrylic which could easy the after filling. I'm very tempted to give it a whirl too. Except for their pricing, seems to me that they have just come up with a price in their heads and thought, 'yeah they'll buy that' ......not!

Richard Rumancik
01-25-2012, 9:24 AM
I couldn't get to any pages on the website besides the home page. The "buy" tab would not work either. The video for the black marking seems to generate a decent mark; the video itself is not very polished and includes some spelling mistakes. I don't know what the advantage of their black is over Cermark, but the color option may be unique. The $29 price on eBay is "introductory" pricing. Not sure if this is prime time yet, but Synrad DOES have them listed on their website as a "resource". Here is the contact info from Synrad if anyone cares to follow up.

Laser Markable Materials

Color Laser Productions, LLC (http://www.colorlaserproductions.com/)
262 Carlton Dr.
Carol Stream, IL 60188
Phone: 1-630-233-4554
Email: colorlaserproductions@gmail.com
Gerard Lubieniecki, Marketing Director

Duane, what do you mean when you say that Ferro patents cover "process"? Lasering over any kind of material to bond it to a substrate is not a patentable process in my opinion.

Allen Isakson
01-25-2012, 1:52 PM
I bought some and it is awesome. The application is so much better and black is black. cermark does not compare. The colors work as well. This stuff does not rub off. Its marks aluminum beautifully. Anyone that wants to buy, you wont be sorry.
I also have the powder for ceramics but have not tried it yet.

Dan Ashlin
01-25-2012, 1:57 PM
do you have any pictures of work you've done with it allen?

Gary Hair
01-25-2012, 2:48 PM
Their black is priced reasonable but the colors are outrageous, twice what Cermark runs. I always hold a healthy dose of skepticism for any company that has as many spelling and grammar errors on their website as that site does. It reeks of un-professionalism and makes me wonder about their product.

Allen Isakson
01-25-2012, 6:23 PM
Gary im not good at spelling either, but if you judge the quality of my work by that, you would be the loser. The ink works far better then cermark and I had it the next day.
Totally happy with them.

Jim Reinhard
01-25-2012, 6:59 PM
Guess I will see ,I ordered the samples on ebay.

Gary Hair
01-25-2012, 10:14 PM
Gary im not good at spelling either, but if you judge the quality of my work by that, you would be the loser. The ink works far better then cermark and I had it the next day.
Totally happy with them.

If they don't take the time or money to have someone do spelling and grammar check on their website, then they are likely to cut corners elsewhere, not someone I'd do business with. I'll stick with Ferro, they have the resources to do things right.

David H. Mitchell
01-26-2012, 12:44 AM
If they don't take the time or money to have someone do spelling and grammar check on their website, then they are likely to cut corners elsewhere, not someone I'd do business with. I'll stick with Ferro, they have the resources to do things right.

I don't care if they spell it -----, I use cermark and this stuff puts it to shame on aluminum plate.

Dave

Dan Hintz
01-26-2012, 6:46 AM
David,

Out of curiosity, have you tried being rough with the stuff and seeing how it holds up? Heating it to cherry hot, scratching with sandpaper, steel wool, etc.?

David H. Mitchell
01-26-2012, 4:11 PM
It liked about 150 degrees being cherry red. It does take the punishment.

Dave

Out of curiosity, have you tried being rough with the stuff and seeing how it holds up? Heating it to cherry hot, scratching with sandpaper, steel wool, etc.?[/QUOTE]

Dav1d Beck
01-26-2012, 4:53 PM
I would love to see some real photo's of this product then just the you-tube video's

Dave do you have any or can you take a few?

Frank Corker
01-26-2012, 4:55 PM
I'm with Dave, anyone care to upload some?

Mark Sipes
01-26-2012, 6:27 PM
Appears the material comes from the ceramic tile world since the Paypal receiver is:

PhotoCeramicArt Inc.
5524 W Belmont Ave.,
Chicago, IL. 60641, USA

the ink page is just a front for the real seller or there is a commission involved. I believe the pricing is overly inflated also!

I question the depth of bonding on metal...... need to see the tests run by forum members. stainless, alum, brass

Has anyone attempted to use ceramic powders used in the "powder coating" process to see if a laser can bake the material to a metal plate....just asking.........

Dan Hintz
01-26-2012, 6:37 PM
It liked about 150 degrees being cherry red. It does take the punishment.
Is that a typo? Did you mean 1500 degrees?

Dan Hintz
01-26-2012, 6:41 PM
Appears the material comes from the ceramic tile world since the Paypal receiver is:
That webpage is just as poorly written... not only is it broken English (which I can grudgingly ignore), but the "Process", "Technology", and similar pages don't actually show any of the process, technology, etc. It's like buzzword central.

Mark Sipes
01-26-2012, 6:51 PM
It was not aluminum since it melts at 1200 *F ........

Mark Sipes
01-26-2012, 8:18 PM
Here is a video that uses the colored powders and adhesive ink.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ijwRWmE8-U&feature=player_embedded#!

Of course it is from Europe....but....

Steve Clarkson
01-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Dan may accept broken English, but I sure don't. Besides, I think their example picture looks like ....and I only see 6 colors, not 8.

I never really thought about it before, but what is IN the powder really concerns me. Ferro took red and yellow off the market because they contained cadmium......I wonder what is in this stuff (as if they would ever tell us).

John Noell
01-27-2012, 1:59 PM
Uhh Steve, weren't you the one who touted Ma-bri superglue? Have you checked the English (and typos) on THEIR web page? (I actually sent them a critique, after ordering their glue, and suggested they find a better website designer.)

Mark Sipes
01-27-2012, 2:10 PM
Guess I will see ,I ordered the samples on ebay.

Well Allen received his order in one day...... I guess yours should arrive today. Can't wait for your evaluation of mixing, application and final appearance, especially the colors on stainless........ and of course the depth of penetration into the metal.

Gerard Lubieniecki
01-27-2012, 3:21 PM
Dear Sir, my apologies for the misspelling
As to quality of the marking ink it speaks for itself.
Thank you

Chuck Stone
01-27-2012, 4:02 PM
As to quality of the marking ink it speaks for itself.

with all due respect, if it spoke for itself, we wouldn't have questions!

Gerard Lubieniecki
01-27-2012, 4:33 PM
I'll be happy to answer any question I can.
To answer few.
Yes there is a company photoceramicart.com this is seperate business, Kiln fired Digital images are reproduced with ceramic toner that is glazed and kiln fired at 1500F
colorlaserpoductions.com is laser marking ink that uses a patent pending formula seperate of Ferro.
thank you

Mark Sipes
01-27-2012, 4:45 PM
Can you provide a link to the MSDS for the differnt colors. We do have concerns with handling and lasering of a new material that may have drastic effects to our equipment and health.

If this product is as you say.... a replacement for Cermark.......then I will get in line.. I need the color variant in my business, the cost though is a big hurdle.

Gerard Lubieniecki
01-27-2012, 5:41 PM
Im always upgrading the website and working with investors to get a good price for the marketplace.
This is the real deal, we do have verious colors and material that will be available more and more.
As to the safety of the laser. There are small particles that will fly off so good ventilation is important and clean your lenses often.
Most important health safety, when spraying the ink use proper wear and safety mask.
Wash everything with soap and water. There are no harmfull chemicals 100% food safe.
I will have MSDS's finished soon.
thank you
Gerard

Dan Hintz
01-27-2012, 7:37 PM
Care to share the Patent app # so we can view it?

Jim Reinhard
01-28-2012, 8:42 AM
Well Allen received his order in one day...... I guess yours should arrive today. Can't wait for your evaluation of mixing, application and final appearance, especially the colors on stainless........ and of course the depth of penetration into the metal.
Has not arived yet.I have a tracking # from fedx but no travel progress yet.

Gerard Lubieniecki
01-28-2012, 11:02 AM
We have 3 patent pending applied, that will be available for viewing in about 12 months time on World Patents
thank you
Gerard

Mark Sipes
02-01-2012, 7:02 PM
Well it appears the 4 sample packs that were on e-bay have all been sold......should be receiving a product test review from someone soon........

Not sure how gram weight is calculated but....@ 28.34 grams per ounce .......

Mark Sipes
02-01-2012, 7:14 PM
We have 3 patent pending applied, that will be available for viewing in about 12 months time on World Patents

Since the product is made in the US I would have thought that would be the first place to file a patent. And as of yet I don't believe there have been any world patents approved........ but I may be off base,...... maybe you meant the WIPO

Jim Reinhard
02-01-2012, 7:55 PM
The one I ordered shows that it is in tennessee shipped Fedx .Hope to get it and try it this weekend.Mostly interested in how well the glass marking inks work .I have 1 ss water bottle that I already marked with cermark to compare .

Mark Sipes
02-01-2012, 8:08 PM
Ya, not sure why Fed-X ........... USPS Priority is cheaper, 1/2 the cost, for the size item being shipped...and 3 times faster delivery speed.

Jim Reinhard
02-01-2012, 9:42 PM
My thoughts exactly.Small flat rate box or even a flat rate envelope would work for less and quicker.
Is there any one else on here that bought a sample?

Daryl Gregg
02-02-2012, 3:05 PM
Received my sample pack from ebay today.

Tried the ceramic colors on glass & I must be doing something wrong or they dont work at all. The metal colors work nice. Did black & copper so far. Will post pics later.

If anyone knows settings for glass, feel free to share.

Mark Sipes
02-02-2012, 3:18 PM
setting for TherMark Ferro http://www.thermark.com/content/view/116/171/

LMC6001P Suggested Laser Settings Used for CO

2 X-Y Laser

Settings 45W laser & Settings 30W laser Substrate Material Power
Glass Speed 5-14 (in/sec) 20- 28W Power 600-1000 DPI/PPI

Depends on color of ink.

Jim Reinhard
02-02-2012, 4:09 PM
My samples came today .I did not get black for metal.The colors were green,white .bronze and yellow for metal-Green blue white and grey? for glass/ceramic.There was nothing in the box except the samples .no instructions- no invoice just the paints.They are pre mixed with a piece of tape on top that says what they are for glass/metal .I will hopfully try them this weekend as I have the flu.

Jim Reinhard
02-02-2012, 6:49 PM
I get board when im sick so I went out in the garage and did a few test (The wife wasnt to happy).She said it made the house smell.But I cant smell any thing right now.
tested the blue paint on glass.
I started out with my usual settings for glass speed 75 power 75 500dpi.
didnt get a blue mark at all.I get a nice deep mark at those settings.
Next I did speed 75 power 50 and got a light mark
3rd try 100 speed 25 power.and got a little bit more but it was not even.
last try for tonight was 100 speed 10 power .and the mark was a bit better but still inconsistent.
I did brush on the paint as it is to much trouble setting up the airbrush and the sample is so little that i dont know if it it would even spray.
It does say on the website it can be brushed on.
So far not impressed
Gerard If you have any sugestions i may give them a try later.

Mark Sipes
02-02-2012, 7:12 PM
Maybe that explains why all videos were of metal ink ..... and no mention of ceramic or glass ink is made on web site..... disappointing to hear.....

Daryl Gregg
02-03-2012, 10:30 AM
I bought the sample pack of metal & ceramic on ebay. The metal stuff works great, the glass dosn't work worth a darn so far, I am still trying settings to get it to work.

Gerard Lubieniecki
02-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Hello Daryl,
The setting for the ceramic material will be different then the metal,
also I recommend using the material on ceramic as it works best.
thank you
Gerard

Gerard Lubieniecki
02-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Dear Customers,
Please understand this a solvent based ink and I can NOT ship it any other way than fedex.
thank you
Gerard

Rodne Gold
02-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Give some examples of settings so your users can make a start without messing around.. users and potential buyers require a little more than bottles in a box

Mark Sipes
02-04-2012, 1:58 AM
Since I have not seen nor are the MSDS available for viewing.. unless the flashpoint of the material is below 141* the product should ship as ORM-D with no problem......

Frank Corker
02-04-2012, 8:11 AM
Regarding the settings, didn't it say on the video that the speed is 100% and the power was the wattage of your laser?

Rodne Gold
02-04-2012, 8:23 AM
100% speed varys so wildly between models that it is meaningless..

Gerard Lubieniecki
02-09-2012, 2:57 PM
Daryl,
Please try the metal black on glass or ceramic it does work great.
Also if you run the material twice on gold plated or chrome works even better.
But you will need to mess around with the laser setting.
for me on glass and cermic with 25watt laser setting 10 / 22/ 300 worked awsome
for gold plated I used 100/ 3/ 1000 after the first run i wiped it down and coated again and ran same settings.
If it does not work try three times.
thank you
gerard

Mark Sipes
02-10-2012, 2:10 PM
Not sure what happened but the Metal Marking Products website now only sells Black and white ink for metal......

http://www.colorlaserproductions.com

paul mott
02-12-2012, 5:43 AM
Why have no pictures been posted showing the results you guys are getting with this ??

Paul.

Jim Reinhard
02-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I only tryed the color on glass and did not get enough of a mark to show.Just clicked on the link for the website and the website is expired on godaddy.

Mark Sipes
02-12-2012, 2:01 PM
Black and White ink still being pushed on Ebay.... Did anyone get the Black or White Ink Samples for Metal and test them??

Frank Corker
02-12-2012, 3:58 PM
I'm beginning to think that this stuff doesn't live up to the claims.

Jim Reinhard
02-12-2012, 4:15 PM
Colors were bronze- yellow-white-blue?
The seahorses are with balck cermark on the same bottle and same settings .
(If you see the seahorses at the ara show vote for it :) )

Jim Reinhard
02-12-2012, 4:24 PM
I do think its sad that he was using ebay as a test for his product .Havent left feedback yet .Hoping he will see he made a mistake putting out his product before it is ready and refund me or at least send me a bottle of the black to make up for it if it in fact black does work?I always give people the chance to make things right.

Frank Corker
02-12-2012, 4:55 PM
Jim the seahorses look passible, but the others seem 'washed out'. I really don't think this stuff is ready

Jim Reinhard
02-12-2012, 5:02 PM
Jim the seahorses look passible, but the others seem 'washed out'. I really don't think this stuff is ready

The seahorses are cermark.and they look perfect in person.

Dan Hintz
02-12-2012, 7:32 PM

The seahorses are cermark.

<chuckle>...

Gary Hair
02-12-2012, 8:21 PM
I always hold a healthy dose of skepticism for any company that has as many spelling and grammar errors on their website as that site does. It reeks of un-professionalism and makes me wonder about their product.

I stand by what I said in the beginning...

Chuck Stone
02-12-2012, 8:45 PM
(If you see the seahorses at the ara show vote for it :) )

No no no .. if you see THIS one, vote for it! ;)

That is .. if you're a proud American. If you believe in freedom.
If you believe in the American Dream. If you believe .. aw, you know..
all the stuff they feed you to make you feel like a bad person if you
don't vote for them.. :p

Chuck Stone
02-12-2012, 8:50 PM
Black and White ink still being pushed on Ebay.... Did anyone get the Black or White Ink Samples for Metal and test them??

I got the Met Black about a year ago and wasted a good portion of it getting set
up to spray correctly to test. (no reflection on the product, I'd never sprayed
Cermark either, so it was my fault) After that I had enough to do a travel mug
or two. It came out fine.. I never did try the white though. Still don't have
anything I'd need to use white for. That travel mug is my 'daily carry' and
gets used 7/365. Holds up about as well as you'd expect for a mug that has
been in and out of the car about 1000 times. Shows some signs of wear where
it sits in the cup holder but that's about all.