PDA

View Full Version : Look and ye shall receive...

Mike Cruz
01-24-2012, 4:35 PM
Well, the DAMP crew and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a second lathe so that when we have our meetings, three guys aren't sitting around drinking too much beer while one guy turns... So, I've been on the lookout for a mini lathe. Something to not take up too much space. Something that I could hide away for 29 days a month, and pull out one day a month. Just a little something that someone can turn a pen or small bowl on in the "down time". I found one... An older Jet 10". 221139 Variable speed by changing the belts. Not sure if the motor has brushes or not (so I could add a speed controll like on a router). I'll look into it.

But it just so happens that the guy that I got that Jet from also had a 24" Vega bowl lathe model 24. 221140Older model with a 3/4" straight spindle (no threads). 221143 1/2" hp Baldor motor, 221141 and an outboard turning rest (came with 12" and 4" tool rests). 221142 I'll be souping this lathe up... Not a total restoration. Don't feel like sandblasting, painting, getting decals, etc. But i do have intentions of bringing it into the 21st century. Here she is with a little quick clean up. 221144

Got 'em both for $375. :D Probably could have gotten them for less, but I thought the price was fair enough...:rolleyes: The way I figure it, I got the Jet for $175 and the Vega for $200.

Well, these ought to keep us busy the next time we meet at my place. ;)

Roger Chandler
01-24-2012, 4:45 PM
Geez..............Mike...........DAMP looks like it is getting serious about this wood turning thing! Ought to be some fun at the next meeting! I am going to have to make a visit sometime!

Tony De Masi
01-24-2012, 4:47 PM
Roger, you are more than welcome ANY time. Don't you have an associate pastor who can cover for you for a day?

Roger Chandler
01-24-2012, 4:59 PM
Roger, you are more than welcome ANY time. Don't you have an associate pastor who can cover for you for a day?

I do Tony, but I am not quite sure if I would feel good about not performing my duties for a day turning............I think I had better stick to a week day, if DAMP ever decides to have one on a Friday perhaps! Of course, there would have to be some beverage like water or a Dr. Pepper for me also! :D;)

Stephen Cherry
01-24-2012, 5:02 PM
Looks a little shakey to me.

Mike Cruz
01-25-2012, 7:14 AM
I've told you before that you are welcome at my shop, Roger. Maybe someday you'll be able to come. Hey, if it makes you feel better about not being "there", look at it not as a day of turning, but as a day of guidence...:D We certainly have NA beverages...perfect well water, sodas, margaritas (oops, that doesn't make it into that catagory, does it? :o).

Stephen, it only looks shakey to you because you see through the gloat and see a 3 ph motor, VFD, and wiring to do...:rolleyes:

Dick Strauss
01-25-2012, 9:27 AM
Mike,
I've got an old Vega 24 similar to the one have shown except it was a little different (mine is number #423 so I assume it is a little later). It came with a 1hp baldor reversible motor and 1"-8 solid headstock shaft. I've almost completely reworked mine with a 3hp/3ph 1750 rpm (Marathon #Y370) with VFD. My 24 now has an extended base, riser block (for TS), and tailstock salvaged from a Jet 1642 (it can turn something 24" (d) by 29" (l) with the livecenter engaged. I also added metal diagonals off the back side for headstock support based on Randy's (from Vega) suggestion to keep the headstock from flexing backwards when the TS is engaged. I'm in the process of replacing all of the pulleys with either stepped CI V's or stepped muti-rib pulleys like those found on PM/Jet, etc because the pulleys on mine are poorly made and cause lots of vibration. In the end I'm hopting to have 4 or 5 speeds instead of the original 8 (I already replaced the bottom two steppers (from the motor and jackshaft) with a single step each from Grizzly).

Let me know if you want some pictures...

David E Keller
01-25-2012, 9:29 AM
That's cool, Mike! I've never seen a bowl lathe like that... It'll be interesting after you soup it up! I've got a Rikon midi that I would have swapped you for wood, but the distance would have made that expensive! Now that you're up to three lathes everybody can turn at once... Since Dan doesn't really turn anyway!:D

Mike Cruz
01-25-2012, 9:47 AM
Man-o-man, would I!!!!!! You can post them here, or email me. greenstix@myactv.net

Yeah, I'm going the route of a 2 hp motor and VFD. Wondering why you even need the pulleys with a VFD, though. With a POT, you can just adjust your speed with the dial...

Dick Strauss
01-25-2012, 9:47 AM
Extra torque for big pieces...!

If you haven't seen some pics by tomorrow, ping me. I think they are on my other computer and I'm leaving shortly.

Mike Cruz
01-25-2012, 9:48 AM
OUCH!

David, I'd still trade you wood for your lathe. Care to take a road trip. I'll fill your vehicle (even if it is a pickup) with Ambrosia Maple if you'd like...

Dan Hintz
01-25-2012, 9:57 AM
Now that you're up to three lathes everybody can turn at once... Since Dan doesn't really turn anyway!:D
That's just cold, man... stone cold ;)

Man-o-man, would I!!!!!! You can post them here, or email me. greenstix@myactv.net

Yeah, I'm going the route of a 2 hp motor and VFD. Wondering why you even need the pulleys with a VFD, though. With a POT, you can just adjust your speed with the dial...
Mike,

I still have that 2HP motor I picked up from Peter...

David E Keller
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
OUCH!

David, I'd still trade you wood for your lathe. Care to take a road trip. I'll fill your vehicle (even if it is a pickup) with Ambrosia Maple if you'd like...

Rest assured(or consider yourself warned) that if I ever find time to make the road trip of woodturning that I'd love to make, your shop and the DAMP crew are on that list. I'm afraid that's gonna be a post retirement gig, so it'll be quite a while... At the age of 39 with two little kids(college, etc), retirement seems about as likely as a lottery win at this point! You boys will probably have an AAW chapter designation and a larger membership by that time... Perhaps I can give a little demo or something... I turn for beer and wood so the price is right! Actually, beer and wood together may be asking a little much given what I have to offer! Obviously, the offer stands for my little shop in Oklahoma for you and the rest of the Creek... I've been pleasantly surprised by the number of folks who've found a reason to stop in, and I've yet to meet another turner who wasn't a real treat!

Mike Cruz
01-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Hmmmm, a demo from DK...this sounds like it could be a paid trip for you, David! Beer, wood, AND money. I'm sure we could work something out...

Mike Cruz
01-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Dan, the motor I have a bead on is 1/2 of what you paid for that one...

Dan Forman
01-25-2012, 1:33 PM
Dang, looks like you eastern folk are having too much fun!

Dan

Mike Cruz
01-25-2012, 4:31 PM
If fun is what you want to call it, Dan F., then yes, we're having too much of it. ;) I have to admit, from my research and so forth so far, this is going to be one heck of a ride!

Peter Elliott
01-25-2012, 9:40 PM
Mike, that is not only a HUGE score for DAMP but is possibly the MEGA-GLOAT of the year. I'd like to see what tops this.. Didn't Bill Grumbine tell us he turned on a Vega Lathe once? I remember him saying good things about it and it's uses. Have to go back and look at my Grumbine DVD's :rolleyes:

Dan Hintz
01-26-2012, 7:02 AM
Grumbine still has one... though last time we spoke I vaguely recall him saying he might be getting rid of it. I could be imagining it. I'll have to ask him. His is a little more beefy (a floor model, if you will, not a tabletop.

Dan Hintz
01-26-2012, 8:07 AM
Spoke too soon... Bill says he sold the Vega shortly before the Beauty was listed.

Mike Cruz
01-26-2012, 8:24 AM
Yeah, I'd bet his Vega was beefier than this one. I think it'll do the job, but being who he is, I doubt he would have gotten this model...he's a Robust guy...

Dick Strauss
01-26-2012, 11:07 AM
Mike,
As Dan said, Bill's lathe was the 24's big brother the 2600.

Here are a few old photos from about a year ago for you. You'll see the Jet 1642 TS on a reversible riser with gap on a bed extension. The riser has about 5-6" of "lean" so that it can ride over the existing bed without interfering with the banjo. It also can lean out away from the headstock and increase the span between the TS and the headstock giving 29-30" of length. The wheels can be lowered and raised (and locked) via the foot pedals to make it mobile. It normally sits on adjustable swiveling pads rated for 800# each. The headstock bearings were replaced because of runout. The pulleys are a work in progress since all need to be replaced IMO. A new motor mount was created to handle the 3hp Marathon ID motor (I may rework it again to make it stiffer?). Everything has been cleaned up and painted now. The stand is painted with Rustoleum black and the lathe+extras are painted with almond IIRC to match the Jet TS.

The idea for the leaning TS riser is that of my friend (a retired machinist) and the kick down wheels idea were copied from his metal BS. He did such a good job at fabricating the key pieces that the alignment is only off by 0.002 side to side and 0.001 top to bottom IIRC.

Before folks ask, I've got a restored 1960's PM1150 DP VS with VFD (VFD now mounted on side of DP and DP on a mobile base painted to match...puke green) is shown in the background of the pics

Peter Elliott
01-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Dan, imagine DAMP group owning Bill Grumbine's AB and Bill Grumbine's Vega ?

We could have called us: B-DAMP'D...:D

I'm sure Bill Grumbine would have gotten a kick out of that!

Mike Cruz
01-26-2012, 3:36 PM
Dick, thanks for the pics. If you've done nothing else, you've confirmed that this Model 24 BEGS to be tweeked, updated, and added to. You won't likely recognise mine when I'm done...:o

I must say that that is quiet a set up you have there, Dick. It must also be nice to either have welding talent or have someone to do it for you. That table may look simple, but to have the local mill shop make it, UGH! that would break the bank. That whole setup is begging for paint, you know that... Great job on it. And you are inspiring me.

Peter...3

Peter Elliott
01-26-2012, 3:48 PM
Mike, I would email Bill Grumbine. I think he did a conversion as well. Or I thought I saw some post on here where Grumbine / SMC person was being instructed on a Vega. If anyone has time on one of these it's Grumbine..

I think Dan has Bills email?

Who was that magic Grumbine student??

Dan Hintz
01-26-2012, 6:56 PM
A typical conversation with Amy goes like this...
Amy: "Shouldn't you do so-and-so?"
Me: "But Grumbine says..."
Amy: "Wouldn't the color look better if you did so-and-so?"
Me: "But Grumbine says..."
Amy: "Is that going to sell?"
Me: "Well, Grumbine says..."
Amy: "Do you really need that tool?"
Me: "Grumbine has one!"
Amy: "Can you make a decision on your own?"
Me: "Let me ask Grumbine..."

Our conversations are getting shorter and shorter...

Jeff Nicol
01-27-2012, 5:20 PM
Mike, Just came in from the shop after spinning my wheels all day with a number of things that fought me all the way! I was doing a little cleaning and organizing to start the day, but that was no fun so started working on some welding and I could not get my MIG to lay a nice bead to save my butt, I had just gotten a new tank of shielding gas and that was the only thing that was different, so I unhooked that and hauled to to the welding supply house and exchanged it and the new gas seems to be working better, but by then I was sick of metal and went to the lathe to hollow a little on a red oak piece that I have had on the lathe for the last week. I was hollowing through a 5/8" hole and I had changed the cutter to a little longer one and the first time taking the gooseneck out of the HF I caught in on the rim and now it is a 1 1/8" hole! By then the snow and wind had started and that was my notice to give it up for the day and come in and see what is happening in the great world of wood turning!

So I see that you got a little lathe with the Vega, you forgot to mention that to me the other day, is that one going to get the Cruz "More Power" overhaul too! I think the Vega needs to be painted the same color as you PM, just for continuity.

I have a big truck and trailer, maybe I will have to take a roadtrip, just have to convince my bride that it would be a great thing to drive out east for some goofing off and turning and to bring home a bunch of wood........she would say everything but more wood!

Have a great weekend,

Jeff

Mike Cruz
01-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Jeff, you bring that truck and I'll fill it with Ambrosia Maple, my friend.

You lead one heck of a schedule, there. My mind may run that fast, but my body doesn't...