PDA

View Full Version : CBN wheel for high carbon steel

Martin Rock
01-24-2012, 2:34 PM
How does these cbn wheels work with high carbon steel. Any issue with burning?

I am thinking of buying 2 cbn wheel for a 8" slow speed baldor grinder, but I don`t just sharpen HSS tools. I also use the grinder to put an hollow grind on my chisels and plane irons. Some of them are regular carbon steel and some are O1 and A2 steel.

Back to turning. Is there a need to get the 80 AND the 180 grit CBN wheels. Or the 180 is more than suffisiant.

thanks

Martin

Todd Bin
01-24-2012, 2:51 PM
I just have the 180 CBN wheel. It works great. I can't imagine how fast the 80 grit would remove steel. I guess if you are reshaping gouges and making your own tools the 80 grit would be good to have but for basic sharpening the 180 grit works fine. (Actually better than fine). I almost never use my Norton 3X wheel now.

Harvey Ghesser
01-24-2012, 3:16 PM
Martin, I have both CBN wheels and wouldn't trade them for anything. As Todd said the 80 grit wheel is great for reshaping a profile while the 180 grit is great for a finished edge. There is no dust with the CBN wheels as compared with the composite wheels. The CBN wheels never need to be trued. My great, great grandchildren (as yet unborn) will be able to use them. I can grind my 15V gouges to an extremely fine edge on my Baldor slow speed grinder.

Get them and you won't be sorry.

Dan Forman
01-24-2012, 4:25 PM
I am very happy to have both, as I have done a few major reshaping of tools, and never had to stop and let the tool cool off. I like the 80 grit wheel for putting a burr on a scraper as well. The 180 does a great job on establishing a fine edge on a skew or gouge. Both will be a little more aggressive at first use than they will after they are broken in for a while.

I just tested mine on a high carbon chisel, and it works splendidly (low speed), ground it all the way to the edge and let it sit there for a while with no burning at all. Even with a Norton 3x wheel, that edge would have been toast. It was barely warm to the touch. In addition, it leaves significantly less burr on the edge. If I ever get back to flat work, I'll no longer approach sharpening with trepidation.

Dan

Martin Rock
01-25-2012, 9:33 AM
Dan, You were able to grind a chisel up to the edge and " let it sit there for a while with no burning at all". That is exactly what I wanted to know. That is what I call cool grinding.

thanks

Martin

Reed Gray
01-25-2012, 11:08 AM
I have used mine on my bench chisels a number of times with no problems. These wheels never load up, so there are no over heating issues.

robo hippy

Bill White
01-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Let me show my ignorance. What's a CBN wheel?
Bill

Dan Forman
01-25-2012, 1:27 PM
Bill --- Cubic Boron Nitride... Diamond Grinding Wheels | CBN Grinding Wheels | Diamond Sharpening Wheels (http://www.d-waytools.com/tools-diamond-grinding-wheels.html)

Unfortunately CBN is too short a word to search for, but if you search "wheel", you will pull up some recent threads about these new grinding wheels. I love mine.

Dan

Bill White
01-25-2012, 5:27 PM
Thanks Dan. Have never heard/seen those fellers.
Bill