PDA

View Full Version : Searching For A Plan

Jason Christenson
03-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Sitting on the counter at my local cigar shop is a tabletop lighter like none I have ever seen. It is a wooden cube about 9"x9"x9". When you push the lever on the top, it comes to life with a sort of electrical zapping noise and produces a good sized flame. I've seen it being filled with Zippo lighter fluid before and have been told it operates with some kind of automobile solenoid. If I get a chance I'll get a picture of the thing and post it. Anyway, I would like to build one of these things and am wondering if anyone can point me towards a set of plans. Thanks!

Pat Monahan
03-17-2005, 1:55 AM
Jason
The lighter could use a small battery to ignite the lighter fluid, as opposed to a spark off of flint. Table top lighters I've seen are deceptive - the lighter part is a small self contained unit that is much smaller than the overall size of the container. My father had a desk lighter that was about the size of a softball, made out of polished stone. The actual lighter part, which could lift out for refilling, was smaller than a regular zippo lighter. I would suggest trying to find a lighter insert, then building a box (or whatever) around the parts. Colibri is another lighter manufacturer that may have what you need. I can't think of any other manufacturers, but there are quite a few. Hope this helps, but above all, WELCOME TO THE CREEK! :D

Jason Christenson
03-17-2005, 8:34 AM
Thank you!

Keith Christopher
03-17-2005, 11:49 AM
The lighter you're referring to is a wooden box that holds a battery and circuit which most likey rectifies the voltage enough to arc when the lever is pulled away. At the bottom of the lever is a cylinder tank or barrel which is full of fuel. The wick runs the length of the lever into the "barrel" much like the old wick based lamps we all see in old westerns. in the middle of the top is a conductive material that is the grounded side of the circuit. when the lever is pulled the igniter that is close to it arc's to the wick igniting it. See my illustration. I think this is what you are talking about.

Keith

Jason Christenson
03-18-2005, 3:56 PM
I would say that that is it. Now can anyone help me build one?

Jason Christenson
03-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Here is a picture of a tabletop lighter I found online. This is very close to what I am looking for and no doubt operates on the same principle.

Tim Marks
03-20-2005, 9:57 AM
Quite possible that the lever spins a magneto that generates electricity instead of using a battery.

Keith Christopher
03-21-2005, 5:39 PM
Can you tell me the manufacturer of this item ? I'll see if I can find any more info on it or perhaps find a schematic for you.

Keith

Jason Christenson
03-21-2005, 6:05 PM
I do not know who manufactures the lighter in the picture but it is a replica of an Eldred Wireless #12. Thanks for your help!