PDA

View Full Version : BandSaw choice? Rikon 10-325 or Grizzly G0555X w/ riser block?

Bob Boucher
01-24-2012, 1:17 PM
I am considering either a Rikon 10-325 or a Grizzly G0555X.

I will be using the saw for resawing and bowl blanks?

Any thoughts and opinions on either would be a great help!
Thanks!

Van Huskey
01-24-2012, 1:23 PM
For me resawing and a 14" cast "Delta clone" with a rise block doesn't compute well. It can be done but a saw that resists deflection in the spine is a better approach. In the case the steel spine of the Rikon is a better choice. The weak points of the Rikon are the guides which are fiddly to set and the fence is not great, both places the G055X beat it out. The thing is you can upgrade those but you can't upgrade the spine of the Grizzly. You also want to consider blades since the OEM blades on all BS are poor. The suggestions for general resawing are myriad and if you are curious I will point you in the general direction. If the bowl blanks are green you need a different blade for that.

Bob Boucher
01-24-2012, 1:31 PM
Van Huskey,
Thanks for the reply...I do have a budget to try to stay within but I would appreciate whatever general direction you can give me.

I know that oem blades will not suffice and plan on purchasing timberwolf blades or blades of similar design and quality.
The bowl blanks will be green as I will be cutting the trees myself.

Van Huskey
01-24-2012, 1:49 PM
You can get some general info on blades here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149862-Lets-talk-bandsaw-blades!&highlight=lets+talk+bandsaw

On the budget side for resawing on either saw I would recommend the Kerfmaster from Spectrum Supply (the same as the Highland Woodslicer or Iturra Bladerunner just cheaper) in 5/8" (for either saw) or 3/4" for the Rikon. http://www.spectrumsupply.com/kerfmaster-2.aspx

For the wet blanks you need a band with a lot of set, a relatively thick gauge, narrow enough to cut the curves and enough gullet space to clear the chips. My favorite for this is the Woodturners blade from Highland. http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodturners-bandsawblade.aspx

If you want to order them from the same place Highland has the Woodslicer for resawing and Spectrum surely has a blade that will work well for wet wood. I saw so little wet wood I have never bothered to explore the Lenox line (which Spectrum sells) to determine which would be the best but you can call them and get a well suited blade.

You mentioned Timberwolf blades, though many people like them I have had several weld issues and if you search here you will find I am not alone.

Guy Belleman
01-24-2012, 2:53 PM
Not sure either of those bandsaws is a good choice for your use. I had a small bandsaw for a while, but when I got a 17" I wondered why I had made myself so. Not sure of your location, but there are deals out there. Here is one, an 18" with lots of blades, (not mine) listed in the Hot Deals forum of this site http://knoxville.craigslist.org/tls/2814633132.html Hold out for a bigger saw. Good luck.

Van Huskey
01-24-2012, 3:00 PM
I do agree with Guy that larger would be better, if you get a deal or your budget is larger. I would disagree the old cast Grizzly 18" is a better solution, those were some pretty poor saws and in IMHO I would rather have the Rikon.

Bob Boucher
01-25-2012, 7:26 AM
Van Huskey,
Thanks for the tips on blades... I'll purchase what you've recommended when I purchase a saw...
Guy,
I am currently watching for something decent used, I'm located in the Maine..only one I've come accress is a Grizzly G1012 for $375...

Any other opinions or thoughts?

Any other saws in that price range I should be considering?

Curt Harms
01-25-2012, 9:46 AM
It's easy to spend other peoples' money. For what you're planning to do, I wonder if a G0555 would be sending a boy to do a man's job. I have a Rikon 10-325 and it works well for what I bought it for, general bandsaw work and occasional resawing dry wood. I'm not sure how it would fare cutting wet bowl blanks. Your timing is off, a year or two ago the G0513 was basically the same price as the Rikon 10-325.

Bob Boucher
01-25-2012, 9:58 AM
Curt,
I posted here for that reason. If neither saw would be up to cutting bowl blanks out of green wood,
What saw might be in that price range?

I did notice that the G0513 has cast aluminum wheels...I was trying to stay with cast iron....

Would I be better served by a G0513 with cast aluminum or the G0555X with cast iron?

Prashun Patel
01-25-2012, 10:08 AM
If you are planning to do a lot of resawing then I think a larger saw is in order.

This being said, the G0555 is actually quite competent at occasional resawing up to 12" and cutting green blanks. I've had issues with the guide bearings, and you really do require a top notch, sharp blade to do either of these tasks on this saw. However, it can be done. It may be a boy doing a man's job, but it's a pretty strong boy.

If budget is your primary concern, then this is a good saw to have.

If you can at all afford larger and anticipate frequent use of the saw, then my experience has left me wanting for more saw - at least better guides and stabilization.

Bob Boucher
01-25-2012, 10:12 AM
Prashan,
Just to clarify I was considering the G0555X.... is that what you are referring to or the G0555?
Thanks!

Van Huskey
01-25-2012, 11:09 PM
I would say forget the 14" cast iron spine (Delta clone) saws. If your budget allows bigger then get bigger! The 513 with aluminum wheels would be better than a 14" saw with cast iron wheels. So what is your true budget and do you have 220V available?

Joseph Tarantino
01-26-2012, 12:14 AM
when you get your 10-325 (that's on es weet machine!), don't soil it with timberwolf blades. a saw that good deserves good blades to maximize it's performance. van gave you good suggestions, except for the TW blades. i went through 4 brand new TW blades, all with deficient welds which caused a blade loping problem that was bad for cut quality and the thrust bearings. finally got a lennox from iturra and it was like i had gotten a new saw.

Bob Boucher
01-26-2012, 6:12 AM
My budget is $1000. I've actually located a Rikon 10-345 "scratch and dent" with a full warrantee under $1000.
I have 220v available as well as 3 phase....

Van Huskey
01-26-2012, 9:51 AM
My budget is $1000. I've actually located a Rikon 10-345 "scratch and dent" with a full warrantee under $1000.
I have 220v available as well as 3 phase....

The 10-340 is a much better saw for your purposes, at the price better than anything else under $1k. Shame you haven't found an old industrial sw for cheap especially since you have 3 phase! But despite so many, myself included sometimes, saying buy used, one can only wait so long!

Bob Boucher
01-26-2012, 10:06 AM
It is tough to wait!

I would love to find a 3 phase bandsaw and would welcome any leads in the Northeast....

I installed 3 phase(rotary phase converter) for a 5 hp PM66 (54") I got for $300 in great shape.(with a spare pm66 for "parts")...
I found two 3 hp (3 phase) dust collectors for $50.

Now that I found a Rikon 10-345 for under $1000 it's even tougher to be patient!