PDA

View Full Version : Klingspro bargain box of sandpaper, is it worth it?

Bill Huber
01-24-2012, 10:35 AM
Klingspro has a bargain box of sandpaper sheets for $16, it as 5 lb. of paper in it from 100 to 400 grit, 4 1/2" or bigger.
It looks like it would be a good deal and I would not have to cut a full sheet just to do a little hand sanding.
Has anyone got one of these bargain boxes?

From their site:
Boxes have supplied top quality sandpaper in various different forms to woodworkers across the country for many years. Now with this new sheets bargain box, you ve got something else to be excited about. We re packing this box full of 5 pounds of our best paper materials cut into useable sizes of no less than 4-1/2 in length and width. That means each piece is perfect for simply sanding with your hand, sanding with a hand block or even on a sheet sander. Also, as you know, you rarely will do any hand sanding in grits more coarse than 100. So we re loading up the box with a range of grits from 100 to 400 a tremendous variety to accomplish most of your final sanding needs.

http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/bb45110/

Van Huskey
01-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Bill, I love the stuff I have 2 10# boxes in the shop now. I will make a couple of notes. I buy them from one of their retail outlets when I travel through NC, the prices are usually better and no shipping. I think the 10# boxes were on sale in the store sometime early last year for less than $15. In the stores you can also buy by the pund out of big bins. I have never bought the 5# sheet box, I always get the 10# med/fine box, it has rolls instead of sheets and for me it is a better bargain because it is only $20 for 10#, it does not have anything finner than 220 and has some down at 60 and 80. The thing is you can never guarantee what you are going to get but I have never felt like I didn't get a bargain. Also all the abrasives are top quality. My suggestion is take advantage of their flat rate shipping and get a couple of boxes at one time, maybe a 10# and 5# box so you get a good assortment.

HANK METZ
01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
This is my second purchase of this product Bill:
http://www.industrialabrasives.com/10-lb-box-of-sandpaper-00874-p-402.html

PRICE: $19.95

Contains an assortment of leftover cuts of different shapes, sizes and grits produced during our manufacturing process. Available in Coarse, Medium, Fine or Fully Assorted boxes. COARSE grit box contains 36X to 50X; MEDIUM - 80X to 120X and FINE - 150X and finer. The ASSORTED box contains a little of everything. Please specify.
CATALOG#: 00874

Some paper, some cloth backed. I have a 6" shopmade sanding disk mounted on the right shaft of my bench grinder, this is my go to tool for lots of quickies that crop up during the course of construction. I use a 3M disk adheseive, just like the old days before hook & loop or PSA so I make my own grit as desired- I'm never "out of stock". Of course it's also usable in the 1/4 sheet pad sander as well, so it's been very economical for me and the quality is more than acceptable- I get the medium box.

- Beachside Hank

Bill Bukovec
01-24-2012, 12:28 PM
I thought the bargain box was worth it.

I bought a box a long time ago and I sill have some left.

I think the paper cuts quickly, leaves a nice finish and lasts a long time.

The cloth backing is nice and flexible. Great for turning.

I would suggest cutting the paper to sheets about 8 X 11". Then store the sheets flat. When it is rolled up for a long time, the paper takes a set.

Bill

Larry Browning
01-24-2012, 12:54 PM
I have also purchased the bargain box from them and would do it again. That is when I manage to get thru the box I have. There is an amazing amount of sandpaper in each box. +1 to what others have said. I use mine for the hand sanding I do. I will either use it folded up or on a sanding block. I have also used it as facing for an mdf fence for my incra miter gauge. Just a little spray adhesive on both surfaces works great.

glenn bradley
01-24-2012, 3:15 PM
Agreed. I have taken advantage of the belts, rolls and sheets deals. I would avoid the coarse selections. I have no idea what to do with 36 grit paper ;-) Good quantity, good quality, I would do it again.

Van Huskey
01-24-2012, 3:20 PM
Agreed. I have taken advantage of the belts, rolls and sheets deals. I would avoid the coarse selections. I have no idea what to do with 36 grit paper ;-) Good quantity, good quality, I would do it again.

Agreed about the 36 grit! I have a roll left from my very first box years ago and have yet to find a use for it. I can't think of a single hand sanding use. One time I planned to make a couple of sanding stars with it but never got around to it.

Bill Huber
01-25-2012, 7:37 AM
Thank guys looks like I will be ordering a box med and fine, that is what I use the most of for hand sanding.
I have been using the Klingpro disk and as everyone said they are good.

Larry Browning
01-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Maybe you could use that 36 grit as a door mat! I'd bet it would get the mud off your shoes in a hurry.

Larry Browning
01-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Bill, I think it is Klingspor not Klingspro. That is, unless there is another product called Klingspro. If that is the case, then I don't know anything about that.

Mark Henshaw
01-25-2012, 3:44 PM
I would like to second all of the other comments. Bought a 10 pound box two years ago and have been very happy with the value. Have only used 1/2 of the box! I find the sections great for ripping into lengths and using on the lathe or attaching onto a sanding block. Much better quality of sandpaper then I can buy locally.

Bill Huber
01-25-2012, 4:03 PM
Bill, I think it is Klingspor not Klingspro. That is, unless there is another product called Klingspro. If that is the case, then I don't know anything about that.
You are correct, give me a break, I only have 9 fingers......:D

Jerome Hanby
01-25-2012, 4:24 PM

Hope that wasn't from a sanding accident!

Larry Browning
01-25-2012, 4:28 PM
Well I wasn't going to mention it, but when you had spelled it 'pro' several other times, I begin to wonder if maybe there was such a place and I was giving you bad advice. Sorry

Bruce Wrenn
01-25-2012, 10:43 PM
You are correct, give me a break, I only have 9 fingers......:DI only have eight fingers, plus two thumbs. Lucky for me I live near a Klingspor retail store. I go to bins and get rolls of paper that are 12" wide or more and cut disks out for my disk sander. Works out to about $0.25 per disk. Attach them with spray adhesive (also from Klingspor.)

Van Huskey
01-25-2012, 11:20 PM
I only have eight fingers, plus two thumbs. Lucky for me I live near a Klingspor retail store. I go to bins and get rolls of paper that are 12" wide or more and cut disks out for my disk sander. Works out to about $0.25 per disk. Attach them with spray adhesive (also from Klingspor.)

Do you remember how much a poubd it is in store out of the bins?

Dan Hahr
01-25-2012, 11:20 PM
Looks like the PSA Alum Oxide stearate discs by the 50 pack are only .24 each. No problem tossing a dull sheet at that price. I use the H&L at 15.95 per 50 (.30 each).

Dan

Thomas Canfield
01-26-2012, 9:36 PM
I guess I may have had the only negative experience with Klingspor bargin abrasive material. I have purchased both the flat and roll boxes plus visited the bargin bins when at a store when on vacation. Some of the material is good, but I have had better luck just going with Norton 3X sheets and similar sanding discs. I left a lot of bargain sandpaper when I moved my shop recently to eliminate need to store what I seldom used.

Bruce Wrenn
01-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Do you remember how much a poubd it is in store out of the bins?Red paper, $1.50 a pound, and Gold paper is $3.00 a pound, if memory serves me correct.

Dave Lehnert
01-26-2012, 11:41 PM
I guess I may have had the only negative experience with Klingspor bargin abrasive material. I have purchased both the flat and roll boxes plus visited the bargin bins when at a store when on vacation. Some of the material is good, but I have had better luck just going with Norton 3X sheets and similar sanding discs. I left a lot of bargain sandpaper when I moved my shop recently to eliminate need to store what I seldom used.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw this post yesterday but did not respond. That big yellow box always in my way in the shop. My box was the rolls and did not get a very good assortment. Been sitting in my shop for over 5 years I guess.

Joe Angrisani
01-27-2012, 11:21 AM

From a 36 grit incident? :eek:

Bill Huber
01-27-2012, 1:24 PM
From a 36 grit incident? :eek:

No, it was a lawn mower, not even woodworking.....

glenn bradley
01-27-2012, 1:32 PM
Those who dislike their Klingspor paper can send it to me ;-)

Greg Portland
01-27-2012, 2:21 PM
Maybe you could use that 36 grit as a door mat! I'd bet it would get the mud off your shoes in a hurry.

I've glued the stuff down onto slippery surfaces to add traction (either steps, WWing jigs, etc.).

Jerome Hanby
01-27-2012, 2:46 PM
I just looked at their site and saw the store locations. Looks like I can't weasel out of a beach trip this year and the site they picked is not too far from one of their stores!!!!