PDA

View Full Version : It Had Everything(#2)...

James Combs
01-24-2012, 9:52 AM
(My apologies for "It Had Everything...IGNORE THIS POST". I was posting last night about 1:00am and lost access to the SMC server in the middle of the post:(. I tried editing the post this morning but something was wrong with the original post, when I went to "advanced" it did not have the same data in the post that you folks could see but it did let me edit the title so Ignore the original. Now to continue with what I was trying to do last night.);)

...great figure(Walnut Burl), coffee grounds, turquoise, great shape, even a worm:D

but needed just one more touch-up at the bottom.:mad:
You guessed it, that last little touch up turned into a major catch.

I was having fun with it in the beginning, had to evict a squirmy tenet.
In the first photo he is backing back up into his hole trying to hide but I managed to convince him(or her:rolleyes:) to leave.

For the first photo above I glued as much of it as I could find back together and smeared some paint thinner on it for color. As you can see even the bottom was finished. I was getting ready to apply finish when I decided that the transition from side to bottom didn't look quite right...

Thanks for looking Comments welcomed.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I appreciate those that have posted in the original thread. I will answer those comments in this thread later.

Josh Bowman
01-24-2012, 10:05 AM
That really looked great. Sorry. But at least you have a whole picture.

Mark Hubl
01-24-2012, 10:25 AM
It is always a humbling and frustrating moment when a piece goes south. Sorry to see this happen on a piece that was nearly complete. It's nice that wood grows on trees, always a next piece. Now, watch out for that last cut!

James Combs
01-24-2012, 3:58 PM
You know the rule - no photo, didn't happen. In this case that's good news for you!! :D Dang that last cut - gets a guy every time. It must be something in the water - been seeing lots of threads about blown up turnings the last week or so. Sorry to hear the bad news. Moderators, can you run a quality sample on the Creek water??
Thanks Jon but it did happen, hope the photos are convincing.;)

Dag Nabbit!Dan

Would have like to have said more then that Dan but being the laid back and easy going guy I am I managed to restrain myself:o.

James,
I feel your pain. I had a Walnut Seg piece come apart on me yesterday and fractured my heart as well.....
Ken this is certainly not my first but I just realized something, you say yours was Walnut? This one was Walnut too and so was my last one, hmmm, maybe it's a Walnut conspiracy and not the water as Jon thought.:rolleyes:

David Ellsworth tells his students the only turners who never blow one up are the ones who aren't challenging themselves enough. You obviously "took a chance", especially with 1/16" thin walls. Next time will be your time.
faust
Thanks for the comments Faust. Never really thought I was challenging myself but who knows what the inner self is doing.

That really looked great. Sorry. But at least you have a whole picture.
Thanks Josh, yeah I got the photo after a lot of hunting and gluing.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

It is always a humbling and frustrating moment when a piece goes south. Sorry to see this happen on a piece that was nearly complete. It's nice that wood grows on trees, always a next piece. Now, watch out for that last cut!
Hi Mark, actually I kind of wish it had only gone South but in fact in went North, South, East, West and points in between.;):D

Dan Forman
01-24-2012, 4:33 PM
That would have been a rally fine looking piece! I had a recent heartbreaker involving walnut too. Was a hollow form with some fantastic figure, but in hollowing the shoulder I had a "breakthrough" - not the kind one appreciates, however. So I finished turning off the shoulder and continued hollowing, only to have a catch right at the end that broke the tenon off. I guess it just was determined to resist my plans.

Dan

James Combs
01-25-2012, 10:05 AM
That would have been a rally fine looking piece! I had a recent heartbreaker involving walnut too. Was a hollow form with some fantastic figure, but in hollowing the shoulder I had a "breakthrough" - not the kind one appreciates, however. So I finished turning off the shoulder and continued hollowing, only to have a catch right at the end that broke the tenon off. I guess it just was determined to resist my plans.

Dan

Even more proof of a Walnut "conspiracy"!!!:eek::rolleyes: Can't possible have anything to do with the craftsman...RIGHT??:D

David E Keller
01-25-2012, 10:42 AM
Hate to debunk the walnut conspiracy... I've managed to destroy woods of a number of species! Perhaps this thing goes deeper than any of us initially thought! Too bad about the mishap, JD... Sure was pretty up until that last cut!