PDA

View Full Version : Shaving Bowl and Stand

Mark Yundt
01-24-2012, 9:10 AM
I'm a wood carver, but I thought the turners here might enjoy seeing this piece. As a hobby I collect and use vintage razors, both double edges as well as straight razors.
I made this cherry bowl and stand some time ago but my recent interest in restoring and using straights brought me to making a razor to match the stand as well which I finished yesterday.
The brush is held in place with a hidden magnet and it's filled with a Silvertip Badger knot.
If you're interested there are other razors I've posted in the Woodcarvers threads under "My other Hobby"
Thanks,
Mark

Scott Lux
01-24-2012, 9:15 AM
Beautiful work!

Roger Chandler
01-24-2012, 9:53 AM
That is just super nice.........fine detail work and a nifty idea...........makes one long for the good 'ole days! :D

Mark Yundt
01-24-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks guys!
I always said I thought I was born in the wrong time period,,, if not century. This razor mfg. was in business from 1867 to 1906. Yup.. the good old days. Then too what else but a razor like this would be used by a guy still making a living with a mallet and chisels in this day and age. Not exactly high tech. But it shaves like you wouldn't believe.

Dan Forman
01-24-2012, 2:19 PM
Mark --- Thats a gorgeous set, wonderful workmanship. What do you use for a finish that will stand up to water? Love the idea of suspending the brush by magnet. Dan

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-24-2012, 2:39 PM
Your usual, UNBELIEVABLE, craftsmanship.

Mark Yundt
01-24-2012, 2:58 PM
Thanks again guys!
Jeff, I like the quote from Ayn Rand. I've enjoyed all her books.
Dan, I use CA glues. You know,, super glue. It soaks in and stabilizes the wood. It's like a rock. Build up enough coats and you can get it to polish like glass. Super tough finish. I've also used it on carvings where the wood gets so thin it hardens it right up. You can't carve or add stain once it's on.
For the main parts of the stand I used Poly except for the inside of the bowl.
I've never done immersion tests, but for the amount of water that gets on the razor I've never had a problem with chipping, peeling etc. Here is another I did recently in the style of a Samurai handle as the blade itself is modeled after Japanese style razors where they are ground differently on each side of the blade. A few other wood handled razors and a brush as well ( there are lots of them !)