PDA

View Full Version : Spice Pull Out Question

Mike Goetzke
01-24-2012, 8:59 AM
Getting to the final details of our kitchen/house remodel. I built this small space (3-3/4" x 26-3/4" x 23"deep). I want to make a rectangular frame with a few shelves to hold spices. Looking on the internet I find people use all kinds of slides and all kinds of positions for them. Was wondering if someone had made one of these and what slides they used (also, since it's a small space don't want to take up too much space for the slides):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/Cabinets/IMG_3381.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

Sam Murdoch
01-24-2012, 12:48 PM
If I don't use something from Hafele I build my own and that is typically a 3 sided box with open shelves accessible from one side. The box is attached to the finished front. I attach Accuride 3832 type slides (there are various versions and brands with soft close and/or full extension + an 1" etc., available from many sources) to the side wall (of 1/2" ply) that is the "back" to the shelves and to the side wall of the cabinet. These slides are full extension and require 1/2" of side clearance. I mount one within 3" of the top and another within 3" from the bottom. On a wider cabinet the bottom slide would be mounted on the bottom to provide better stability. If your cabinet is 3-3/4" wide you loose 1" to the slide and pullout side and say 1/8" for clearance, and another 3/8" for a shelf riser (to hold your spice jars in place) but that still leaves you 2 -1/4" +/- shelf for spices. That will hold most standard spice jars nicely.

Edit - It occurs to me that if you want wider shelves you can put a top on this unit too then mount the pullouts to the top and bottom rather than to the back/side panel. I don't believe you will find any ball bearing type slide that will require less than 1/2" clearance - certainly nothing that is any good.

Rob Sack
01-24-2012, 1:48 PM
Mounting the slides only on one side of the pullout at the top and bottom will save you at least 1/2". However, when I have done this, it tends to cause the pullout to sag when extended as well made it want to flop around from side to side when extended. Mounting slides flat top and bottom reduces their load capacity and cause the pullout to sag when the slides are extended. In situations like yours, I usually make a platform to which I side mount the slides. In this case your platform should be 2 3/4" wide and only as high as are the height of the slides. You can then mount the slides to each side of the platform. You can then build a 3 1/4" - 3 1/2" wide spice rack and have it sit on the platform. Since the pullout is considerably taller than it is wide, you might want to consider mounting a third slide horizontally at the top, which will prevent the spice rack from swaying from side to side. By the way, make sure your spice shelves have a decent lip to prevent the jars from falling out inside the cabinet. Also, make sure the shelves themselves are secure so that they do not slide around inside the cabinet.

Moses Yoder
01-24-2012, 2:29 PM
If you use a Knape & Vogt KV8000P-22 slide on the bottom (made for pullouts) then notch the top left (or right) side to install an Accuride 7434-22 slide, your spice rack can be built to fill within 1/8" of the sides of the opening. For a narrow pullout like that we typically only use 1 side of the KV8000P-22 slide. The most commonly used shelf on this unit will probably be the top, so if you design it with an open top it will be easier to use.

I notice your cabinet is already assembled, which is going to make it very difficult to attach any slides on the inside.

Sam Murdoch
01-24-2012, 3:57 PM
Mounting the slides only on one side of the pullout at the top and bottom will save you at least 1/2". However, when I have done this, it tends to cause the pullout to sag when extended as well made it want to flop around from side to side when extended. Mounting slides flat top and bottom reduces their load capacity and cause the pullout to sag when the slides are extended. In situations like yours, I usually make a platform to which I side mount the slides. In this case your platform should be 2 3/4" wide and only as high as are the height of the slides. You can then mount the slides to each side of the platform. You can then build a 3 1/4" - 3 1/2" wide spice rack and have it sit on the platform. Since the pullout is considerably taller than it is wide, you might want to consider mounting a third slide horizontally at the top, which will prevent the spice rack from swaying from side to side. By the way, make sure your spice shelves have a decent lip to prevent the jars from falling out inside the cabinet. Also, make sure the shelves themselves are secure so that they do not slide around inside the cabinet.

Friendly disagreement Rob in that the Acurride 3832 (not soft close) are rated at 100Lb capacity (based on the fully extended 18" slide cycled 1000s of times). I have never experienced wobble on a cabinet this small side mounted as I described. I have installed more than a dozen (maybe twice that) with never any issues or call backs. That being said, you are right about using these slides flat on the top or bottom - that wasn't a well considered after thought on my part without that caveat - though there are similar slides which can be used this way while retaining better than 3/4 weight capacity. Still your bottom platform suggestion is a good one, especially as it would allow Mike to build a spice rack that could be accessed from both sides. Rev-A-Shelf provides an Accuride 3832 all set to be used this way, you need only add a platform - one source: http://www.thehardwarehut.com/catalog-product.php?p_ref=3954

The real problem is raised by Moses - how will you set these slides now that your cabinet is all assembled :eek:. Rob's or the Rev-A-Shelf bottom mount option might be installed more easily if you are willing to remove the back or cut an access panel in the back. The front screws are easy. OR, if you prefer the side mount option you can go in through the side of whichever base - too bad about that - hopefully the drawer base as that would be less obvious. Either way, you've some precise measuring ahead. Good luck.

fRED mCnEILL
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
I built almost the exact same thing in our island for spices. It is basically a vertical drawer (vertical panel with a "front" on it) with the slides both on the one side. I then made some shelves and drilled a number of 2 or 3 inch holes in which small (4 inch tall-about 1/2 the size of a soda can) ss cannisters(from Lee Valley) fit. I think there are 25-30 cannisters. I built this 8 years ago and my wife and I were just discussing it a few days ago. She "LOVES" it. If you would like a picture I can email it to you.

Regards

Fred

Wil Limanen
01-25-2012, 12:56 PM
I had a little more room to work with than you. This is what I did. I think it will be pretty hard for you to get in that space to screw the slides in.221224221225

Mike Goetzke
02-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Finished the spice pullout. I wanted the slide hardware hidden. The pics will show it better than I can explain:

This is the bottom of the pullout:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/Cabinets/Spice%20Pull%20Out/IMG_2357.jpg

This is a block I built for the bottom of the cabinet:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/Cabinets/Spice%20Pull%20Out/IMG_2356.jpg

Finished product:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/Projects/Kitchen/Cabinets/Spice%20Pull%20Out/IMG_2359.jpg

Mike

Mike McCann
02-19-2012, 12:06 PM
nice solution

Sam Murdoch
02-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Looks great - assume it operates smoothly too. Looks like you overcame any and all obstacles.
I think I will try yours (and Rob's) side mount slide pedestal for my next pullout. Nicely done :)