PDA

View Full Version : Curly Maple Bowl

Scott Lux
01-23-2012, 11:24 PM
This is from a chunk of curly Maple I bought at Keim Lumber last year. It's 6.5" across and 1.5" tall. I realize it's quite thick; the bottom is about 1/2". I don't know that I'm finding my "style", I just like thicker bowls. I find when looking at others' bowls, I prefer the chunky ones too.

Sanded to 600, three coats of tung oil, and topped with EEE paste. I did let the tung cure until I could no linger smell it (10 days) before buffing.

Critiques please.

Robert McGowen
01-24-2012, 12:32 AM
That is a really nice chunk of wood, Scott. Since you made it thick on purpose, then I would say you did a good job. My only critique would be that I personally would like to see the recess turned off.

Dan Forman
01-24-2012, 3:00 AM
I agree with Robert, it's gorgeous, the bowl equivalent of voluptuous, but I would have made the recess less obvious. On the other hand, most people, other than some turners, probably don't care. :)

Dan

Michelle Rich
01-24-2012, 7:45 AM
pretty wood & well sanded & finished. At 1 1/2 inches, you don't have much to work with...

Carl Civitella
01-24-2012, 8:02 AM
Nice bowl. I like them a little on the thick side to. Carl

Scott Lux
01-24-2012, 9:17 AM
I would have made the recess less obvious. On the other hand, most people, other than some turners, probably don't care.

You're right. My wife thought the recess was a cool thing I added for decoration.

Mark Yundt
01-24-2012, 9:34 AM
It's not a recess,, it's a very shallow bowl turned into a larger block of wood! Besides, I always liked recess,it was my favorite part of the school day.

Philip Duffy
01-24-2012, 9:40 AM
Looks perfect to me. You need to be proud of this piece and show it off every chance you get. This is for teenagers! Phil

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
01-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Ditto on "awesome" piece of wood. And ... I really like the bowl too ... recess and all!

Bill Bukovec
01-24-2012, 12:39 PM
I like a recess also.

I made a 12" diameter bowl for my wife to serve bread and other dry things.

The recess is dovetailed.

To hang the bowl on the wall, I have a disc mounted to the wall. The disc is slightly smaller than the recess and the disc matches the dovetail recess.

It looks like the bowl is stuck to the wall with no visible means of support.

Nice work. The sweetest words my wife says are "Can you make a_______"?

Bill

dan carter
01-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Certainly your piece of wood has alot going on. Did you ever notice that when something is placed into your product, the prettiest grain is covered up? Guess this one was meant to be displayed with nothing in it. Thin, chunky, potaato, pootoata, it is all in the eye of the beholder. Thin is often times more of a turner thing; it takes all kinds.

Roland Martin
01-24-2012, 1:15 PM
That's a really nice chunk of wood and you did a great job turning, sanding and finishing. I'm with Dan as far as the thickness, thin is mostly a turner's thing. I think a bit on the thick side is more appropriate for a bowl that will be used, a very thin bowl just won't take much abuse. Nice job.

Mike Cruz
01-25-2012, 7:30 AM
Nice utilitarian bowl, Scott. The wood is beautiful, too. But what I don't understand is...where is the Ambrosia? All the maple around here seems to have it. :D Hard to find any maple of size without Ambrosia on my property. Lucky you!

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2012, 7:52 AM
Very pretty bowl Scott! Bet it just radiates in the light! Nice work!