PDA

View Full Version : Delta 14" bandsaw dust collector port

Bob Dubanoski
01-23-2012, 10:48 PM
I have an older Delta 14" band saw with the small dust collector outlet. Are there any modifications that can be made to better collect the sawdust or is it something I just have to put up with. It is a solid saw that was still made in the USA that I bought used and I am trying to do a few improvements. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

glenn bradley
01-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Collecting directly under the table makes other collection often unnecessary. Some ideas

david brum
01-24-2012, 9:41 AM
100% agree with Glenn. Collecting right at the lower blade guide works considerably better than any other method. On my 17" saw, I was able to approach the lower guide from under the table, so the hose can come from behind the saw and give more clearance. I'm not sure if that would work with a 14" saw, but worth looking into.

Van Huskey
01-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Getting DC right under the table is indeed the way to go, the second picture of Glenn's three would be what I would shoot for. You may bee to make it so you can quickly take it off and on depending on how often you tilt the table, it is hard to set it up on a 14" saw so that it doesn't interfere when you try to tilt the table down.

Dick Mahany
01-25-2012, 5:14 PM
I originally added a 2.5" port to the lower door on my Delta 14" BS. Didn't help much at all. I've since added a 4" port on a home made polycarbonate box and it gets 95%. I couldn't believe what a huge difference it made. I agree with the others that collecting the dust immediately below the lower guides is highly effective. The new box simply hangs on the lower door and lifts off with a few keyhole slots for blade changes.

Bruce Page
01-25-2012, 6:41 PM
Dick, that's a slick setup.

Cyrus Brewster 7
01-25-2012, 7:11 PM
I think I may borrow your setup, Dick.

Bob Dubanoski
01-25-2012, 7:39 PM
Glenn,

Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. The more info the better.

Bob

Jerome Hanby
01-25-2012, 7:47 PM
It sure is! For us shameless copiers, any special techniques or hints for gluing the polycarb together or mounting it?

Dick, that's a slick setup.

Bob Dubanoski
01-25-2012, 7:50 PM
Dick,

Thank you also for taking the time to post the pictures and information. I agree the point of collection is important and I like your idea. If you do not mind I may give it a try.

Bob

John Lanciani
01-25-2012, 7:51 PM
I wouldn't do this on a vintage saw, but I'm completely satisfied with the 4" port at the bottom of the lower door (hooked to a 3hp DC).

Dick Mahany
01-25-2012, 8:43 PM
It sure is! For us shameless copiers, any special techniques or hints for gluing the polycarb together or mounting it?

Jerome,

Not to hijack Bob's original question thread......I used IPS Weld-On #4 cement for the polycarb. I used polycarb rather than simple acrylic because of its non-shatter-like properties. The glue is water thin and moderately quick setting ( < 1 minute).. About $9 for a 4 oz can, applied with dropper / syringe.

Bruce Wrenn
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
Collecting directly under the table makes other collection often unnecessary. Some ideasI resemble that guy in picture on top left. It's me!

Jerome Hanby
01-26-2012, 8:47 AM
Thanks! I really needed one more project <g>

Jerome,

Not to hijack Bob's original question thread......I used IPS Weld-On #4 cement for the polycarb. I used polycarb rather than simple acrylic because of its non-shatter-like properties. The glue is water thin and moderately quick setting ( < 1 minute).. About $9 for a 4 oz can, applied with dropper / syringe.

bennie blackwell
01-01-2018, 8:51 PM
John: What was the source for the 4" fitting you attached to the lower bandsaw door?

Mike Manning
01-01-2018, 10:37 PM
Dick,
Add me to the list of folks who like what you've done for dust collection on your 14" BS. Thanks for sharing!
Mike

Dick Mahany
01-02-2018, 10:31 AM
Dick,
Add me to the list of folks who like what you've done for dust collection on your 14" BS. Thanks for sharing!
Mike

I made a fully dimensioned Sketchup model for my Delta box that I'd be happy to share. Feel free to PM me if interested.

Mike Kees
01-02-2018, 11:58 AM
Bruce I used your idea on my delta. It works well. Mike.

bennie blackwell
01-30-2018, 11:09 PM
I have taken ideas from the forum and implemented them on my 14" Delta band saw. What I implemented did not alter the bandsaw with the exception of two drilled and tapped holes. I documented the process I went through with pictures and text but the resulting file size is too large for the site. Private message me and I will be happy to share the document with you via traditional email.

Geoff Crimmins
01-31-2018, 11:35 AM
I took some wire and wrapped it around the dust collector's 4" flex hose about six inches from the end of the hose. Then I put about a 1" loop in the wire, which I hook over the table-alignment pin on the bandsaw. This puts the end of hose the right up by the lower guides, where it sucks up most of the sawdust. It's quick, cheap, and doesn't require modifying the bandsaw. I could take a photo of it if that would be helpful.

--Geoff

Bruce Wrenn
01-31-2018, 8:53 PM
Bruce I used your idea on my delta. It works well. Mike.Glad it worked for you. Spent a bunch of time figuring how to mount Tee, then Rockler came out with their blast gate mounts which fit the bill perfectly. Less than ten bucks to add better DC. Only drawback is it only works with table at 90 to blade.

Randy Bonella
01-31-2018, 9:59 PM
I posted this a while back but these are the two designs I made for my two vintage Delta / Rockwell Band Saws. Neither is very pretty but they do work and other than the 4" interface made out of scrap materials.

Neither requires modifications to the saws. Both types use a combination of friction mount and a tab that is held in place by the blade cover knob and or the extra strap with the sheet metal version.
Of the two the wood one works the best as it puts the 4" dust hose right at the table bottom. Both were trial and error hacks but they do work