PDA

View Full Version : IMHO A Great Plane book...

Brian Cameron
01-23-2012, 10:01 PM
A few months ago I bought a book on planes on one of our trips...the book found its way into my ref library without more than a cursory look until today...and was I ever dissapointed..in myself! The book is WOODWORKERS GUIDE TO HANDPLANES be Scott Wynn..I have a lot of books by planes dozens and this is by far he most comprehensive book that I have..a great ref for the beginner or most advanced plane user...
Brian

Mark Godlesky
01-24-2012, 12:02 AM
My local library has this book and I liked it. I wondered why more folks hadn't mentioned it.

Christian Castillo
01-24-2012, 3:29 AM
What I'm curious about is that Scott Wynn gives the advice to never use sandpaper on the sole of a plane, yet that is the method everyone I know uses to true their planes. Any thoughts as to why he suggests this?

Matthew N. Masail
01-24-2012, 3:41 AM
and what does he suggest instead ?

Ron Kellison
01-24-2012, 7:19 AM
He has a good section on steel and a lot of information on setting up Japanese planes. He's not a huge fan of Krenov style planes. The information is straight forward. I would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a deeper look at setting up, using and possibly building your own planes.

Regards,

Ron