PDA

View Full Version : Neander Roubo workbench build pictures: phase 1 -- legs and stretchers

Mike Allen1010
01-23-2012, 9:03 PM
I always enjoy pictures of hand tool project builds posted here on the Creek, for me they are a great source of ideas and inspiration to try projects and the techniques I wouldn't otherwise attempt.

Inspired by the workbench posts here in the Creek and Chris Schwarz “Workbench Design Book”, I recently built a pacific maple and Douglas Fir Roubo style workbench using primarily hand tools.

I thought I would post pictures of my build for those who might be considering a similar project. If there is interest, I can make several separate posts showing the various phases of the build process so I can include more pictures, which for me are some of the best parts of the many posts I enjoy on the Creek.

As a brief explanation, I use primarily hand tools primarily because of personal preference and the lack of space for stationary power tools. I have a drill press and bandsaw which I use whenever practical. My "shop" is a two-car garage that my wife insists still must accommodate two cars -- clearly her sense of priorities is way off!

Below are pictures of the workbench I've used for the last 25 years. It is 5 feet long, 26 “ wide, and 2 1/2 inches thick veneered particleboard in the center with a 4 inch thick beech skirt all around. I liked the tail vice with two rows of bench dog holes, but wanted something bigger to accommodate larger projects and with a better face vice set up for edge planing.

The two holes in the front skirt are what pushed me over the edge to build the new bench -- I installed the LV twin screw vice, which worked well but given the existing vice and the short length of my bench was always in the way.

My design objectives were: a compromise between cost and functionality, materials that could be worked with hand tools (I don't have a thickness planer or joiner) and would accommodate Roubo style construction.

I found some 6” x 6” Douglas Fir beams at the local home center and my plan was to make the entire bench out of this wood. However, after rough dimensioning the legs and stretchers I realized the lumber was really wet and I didn't have the time or patience to let the benchtop material dry thoroughly.

Based on recommendations from those on the Creek and after exploring the wood options available to me locally I settle on pacific maple for the benchtop; I found some 8/4, 8’ long planks that the lumberyard ripped 3 1/4 “ wide. My plan was to laminate these into a top that was 8’ long, 22" wide with a finished thickness of just over 3". Because I had little waste total cost to me for the lumber was around $400.

Here are some pictures of crosscutting the legs and stretchers to rough dimensions.

PIC

The Stanley #8 got a real workout during this entire project, but the Doug Fir planed nicely even though it was pretty wet. After rough crosscutting I let it dry for a couple weeks and there was minimal checking on the end grain.

I'll add another post with more pics.

Thanks for looking, Mike