PDA

View Full Version : Oh my broken art. Part two: Stuck on my broken art.

Ron Bontz
01-23-2012, 7:02 PM
After blowing apart that spalted vase I was working on, which I found most disappointing, I stayed away form the lathe for a week or so. Too busy actually. So. I took another look and parted off the part that was blown apart. Now I have this "thing" that looks like the top of a large wine glass. I have envisioned every thing from a tall ebonized stem to just putting a foot on it and calling it a day. Keep in mind it is still approx. 9" tall counting the tenon and about 7" dia. 1/8 to 3/16th thickness. So what do others think? I am open to sugestions:confused:220962220963220960

Steve Mawson
01-23-2012, 8:10 PM
Perhaps put a lid on it. Probably not too tall of lid, dont know if a finial would work, might.

Jamie Donaldson
01-23-2012, 9:02 PM
Finish shaping to a nice small foot and call it done! This is just a part of the process when hollowing, no matter how much you practice. When the inside diameter of a hollow vessel sometimes exceeds the outside diameter we then call it a vase, then a bowl, then a saucer, and finally a funnel! (;-D)

Dan Forman
01-23-2012, 10:14 PM
I'm with Jamie. It's still a fetching piece.

Dan

Baxter Smith
01-23-2012, 11:32 PM
Too bad on the vase but still very pretty. It reminds me a little of some flat top forms I saw on the craftsupply catalog a year or so ago. Perhaps a flat lid that sets down in with a thin rim would keep the focus on the spalted form. Keeping a wider base, it might make a neat lidded candy dish.